ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD: Texas Tech

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OFFENSE:

QB: Dillon Gabriel - 89 - Thought he played well but he just never feels in rhythm or something.
RB: Eric Gray - 87 - Man, he just keeps carrying this team, even when they won't let him.
WR: Drake Stoops - 82 - Kid is a fighter but I just don't understand how he's used sometimes.
WR: Marvin Mims - 92 - One of the few guys who had much to write home about tonight.
WR: Jalil Farooq - 81 - Some really tough plays, last week looks to have been an aberration.
TE: Brayden Willis- 85 - Got a little dinged up in pregame but was another strong night for him.
OT: Anton Harrison - 78 - Want to see that penalty, could he REALLY have been downfield?
OG: McKade Mettauer - 65 - Another game, another...meh.
C: Robert Congel - 60 - His snaps are an issue and just mess up the offensive rhythm.
OG: Chris Murray - 74 - Thought he was pretty physical, as usual.
OT: Tyler Guyton - 75 - I liked some of the flashes I saw but he still gets a little too extended sometimes.

Offensive Average: 78.9 (868)

DEFENSE:

DE: Jonah Laulu - 35 - Never saw him once all night.
NT: Jordan Kelley - 80 - Thought he actually was quite good, this might be low.
DT: Jalen Redmond - 65 - Created some pressure up the middle.
DE: Ethan Downs - 55 - I thought he had some moments but he also gave away the edge far too often.
LB: Danny Stutsman - 35 - How many times could Tech bounce and there be NO ONE to deal with it?
LB: David Ugwoegbu - 40 - His level of athleticism hurts this defense and I'll just never be convinced otherwise.
CH: DaShaun White - 45 - His whiff on Donovan Smith was like a reboot of his pre-2022 life.
CB: Woodi Washington - 60 - Thought he was well...not awful?
CB: C.J. Coldon - 77 - Was outstanding early and then faded considerably before a huge interception.
S: Justin Broiles - 40 - Don't think he made a single play all night.
S: Billy Bowman - 10 - I honestly can't think of a positive moment, no idea what his story was tonight - looked nothing like himself.

Defensive Average: 50.2 (552)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Zach Schmit - 73 - Hit some big field goals and did a nice job in the kicking game for the most part...until the end (yes, this was added late).
P: Michael Turk - 84 - Had some nice punts on the rare occasion he was called on.
KR: Billy Bowman - N/A
PR: Marvin Mims - 75 - Had a nice return early on.

Special Teams Average: 77.3 (232)

Key Reserves:

RB: Jovantae Barnes - 73 - That drop may have changed the complexion of the game.
WR: Theo Wease - 85 - Showed up on some big plays for the Sooners but the rub route needs some cleaning up.
S: Key Lawrence - 63 - When he's on, he looks great but you can tell he's just always about a step out of position.

Reserves Average: 73.7 (221)

Team Average: 66.9 (1873)

My Overall Grade: 55

Breakdown:
This is a team that is in dire need of changes, how else can you say it? To bring all of this back in 2023 and expect it to be better is the definition of insanity.

Oklahoma is a team that can't deal with success and while some of that is clearly mental it also is a coaching staff that seems to let it's foot off the gas when they get out in front. There's just seemingly zero understanding of how to navigate in-game situations and while there are plenty of things a young staff is going to learn on the job there are too many things that we're seeing repeat over and over.

Loads of players will hit the portal, and I don't even have a huge issue with that but there's no reason on Earth Ted Roof needs to continue on in Norman. I've said it since he was hired, Brent Venables either needs to be the defensive coordinator, hire a young and exciting linebackers coach to teach who can recruit like a monster OR hire a coordinator with a lot more success in his background than Roof.

As far as Jeff Lebby, it's all I can do to acknowledge how key Jackson Arnold is to the whole future of this situation and any hope it has of righting itself in 2023 and beyond. But there's got to be some real introspection on clock management, complimentary football, and an understanding of how to use the entirety of the field rather than simply the flats or vertical passes.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News