ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD: TCU

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OFFENSE:

QB: Dillon Gabriel - 55 - Who knew he'd end up looking like one of the players of the game?
RB: Eric Gray - 72 - Had some decent moments but...didn't get a lot of help up front. Obviously, hope he's ok.
WR: Theo Wease - 50 - Had no real impact.
WR: Marvin Mims - 50 - Fumble was the worst possible thing for the Sooners but this outcome isn't on him or anything.
WR: Jalil Farooq - 60 - Far from pretty.
TE: Brayden Willis- 74 - The one moment in the first half where it felt like the Sooners might get back into things.
OT: Anton Harrison - 75 - Actually thought he wasn't half bad.
OG: McKade Mettauer - 40 - False start, AGAIN...zero push, AGAIN...I mean...maybe try something else?
C: Andrew Raym - 50 - Watched him get thrown around for yet another game.
OG: Chris Murray - 60 - He avoided penalties and I thought he was ok, but not much to write home about.
OT: Wanya Morris - 70 - Actually thought he wasn't too bad before the injury.

Offensive Average: 59.6 (656)

DEFENSE:

DE: Reggie Grimes - 40 - Those 6 sacks feel like halcyon days, as does a four down front.
NT: Jalen Redmond - 40 - Even he did nothing of note in this game.
DE: Ethan Downs - 55 - Actually thought Downs had a few half decent moments.
LB: Danny Stutsman - 35 - I feel like this is a young guy who has just lost all confidence.
LB: David Ugwoegbu - 20 - End this, it's got to be over, it just doesn't work.
CH: DaShaun White - 60 - Was Ou's best (healthy) defensive player on the day and still wasn't very good.
CB: Woodi Washington - 20 - There was a lot of technique talk in the preseason but man, he didn't show us much.
CB: Jaden Davis - 35 - I just don't know what he is bringing to the table at this point with missed tackles, etc.
S: Damond Harmon - 35 - They keep putting him in situations that leave him on islands and he keeps showing he can't do that.
S: Justin Broiles - 10 - That first blown coverage was just a taste...I don't know who his backups have wronged but it feels grave.
S: Bily Bowman - 70 - Was playing well enough before he went out...he's about the only defensive starter who can say as much.

Defensive Average: 38.2 (420)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Zach Schmit - 83 - Hey, he...hit a field goal, that's something, right?
P: Michael Turk - 90 - Had one bad punt but other than that did his part to keep Oklahoma in this game.
KR: Jalil Farooq - 92 - Thought he was so close to popping some big plays for Oklahoma in this one.
PR: Marvin Mims - XX -

Special Teams Average: 88.3 (265)

Key Reserves:

QB: Davis Beville - 35 - Got stuck into a bad situation but if that's the offense that has to be played when he's in, someone else can run it better, no?
RB: Jovantae Barnes - 80 - One of the few guys who did some things that really make you take notice.
WR: Jayden Gibson - 50 - That drop on third down seemed huge at the time, I think we know now it wouldn't have mattered.
DL: Gracen Halton - 75 - I saw some good things, think he is worth a long look opposite of Grimes.
DB: Justin Harrington - 15 - I have to say, I think Alex Grinch and co. had it right.
DB: Trey Morrison - 70 - Thought he had a lot more bad than good - a high compliment today.

Reserves Average: 54.2 (325)

Team Average: 57 (1766)

My Overall Team Grade: 40

Breakdown: I'll admit, I've never really thought about whether I love or hate rounding but...rounding a 56.9 to 57, felt wrong to me. I just felt dirty.

There's no other way to say this than it's the worst performance I've seen from an Oklahoma team in my career covering this team (2001).

People will point to games like USC in 2004, that was a very good Oklahoma team getting beaten by a truly GREAT USC team. This is a good TCU team absolutely beating the brakes off of an...I don't know where the bottom is Oklahoma team. There's got to be a story of what has happened since that team got on the plane from Lincoln right? That team looked organized, confident, and as though they had a plan for how they could win or be competitive in just about any game.

But ever since then, it's all just gone awry in about every way possible. And now you may be looking forward to a season without multiple key starters at various points in the year.

I just don't know where this goes from here, that's going to be the topic but with a performance like this? Oklahoma's got more BAAAAD losses coming and is staring 3-9 down in the face. I'm not saying that's where it ends up but after a performance that abysmal, EVERYTHING is on the table, save for any meaningful titles.

I know, I know...''too high' but do try and remember, the special teams made up for a lot.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News