ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD: Kansas State

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OFFENSE:

QB: Dillon Gabriel - 79 - You just can't keep missing this many throws and not pay for it - and why are they ALL high?
RB: Eric Gray - 93 - Was the offense's best player tonight, he and Mims were so far and away 'the guys'.
WR: Theo Wease - 83 - Great start but was he meaningful after the touchdown? Didn't see him much.
WR: Marvin Mims - 91 - Sooners have got to find a way to have the ball in his hands more consistently.
WR: Jalil Farooq - 86 - You can see the bond between he and Gabriel starting to build.
TE: Brayden Willis- 84 - He was alright, nice effort on the touchdown.
OT: Anton Harrison - 77 - Gave up a bad sack but honestly didn't think he was bad.
OG: McKade Mettauer - 68 - I just wonder when someone else is worth a look.
C: Andrew Raym - 65 - Oklahoma had some trouble at the nose most of the night.
OG: Chris Murray - 50 - His penalties were a problem all night.
OT: Wanya Morris - 74 - Bad penalty (it wasn't on Willis, even if it was called that way) but thought he had good moments.

Offensive Average: 77.3 (850)

DEFENSE:

DE: Reggie Grimes - 50 - I honestly didn't see him all night and thought Oklahoma struggled with contain all night.
NT: Jeffrey Johnson - 75 - Big stop on third down that was wasted on fourth in the first half.
DT: Jalen Redmond - 80 - Created a lot of pressure up front but has to get home more often.
DE: Ethan Downs - 60 - Had a TFL in the first half but it's another game where he had little presence.
LB: Danny Stutsman - 50 - Some awful tackling here.
LB: David Ugwoegbu - 50 - Just took some awful angles with Adrian Martinez.
CH: DaShaun White - 65 - Thought he had some decent moments but I keep expecting a few more big plays.
CB: Woodi Washington - 55 - Some terrible tackling in the first half.
CB: Jaden Davis - 60 - The first half was just a lot of the old questions coming back.
S: Justin Broiles - 55 - Looked like his run fit was a big part of the problem on the opening score.
S: Bily Bowman - 67 - Thought he got better after the first few drives but below where we've all expected him.

Defensive Average: 60.6 (667)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Zach Schmit - 95 - Have to love what he did all night, maybe as bright a spot as anyone.
P: Michael Turk - 91 - Had three of 50+ and had one inside the 20 and should have had two.
KR: Billy Bowman - 83 - Had such a nice return but, surprise, a penalty ruined it.
PR: Marvin Mims - XX -

Special Teams Average: 89.7 (269)

Key Reserves:

RB: Marcus Major - 74 - He was ok but Sooners stuck with Gray's hot hand.
DT: Isaiah Coe - 85 - One of the few guys that I thought consistently made plays on the defensive line.
CB: D.J. Graham - 77 - Thought the defense clearly looked better when he came on in the first half.
DB: Key Lawrence - 60 - People are going to talk about him playing more but go back and watch, he missed PLENTY of plays.

Reserves Average: 74 (296)

Team Average: 71.8 (2082)

My Overall Grade: 70

Breakdown:
I know that 'the grades are too high' for just about everyone but there were some solid moments in this game for the Sooners but the consistency was just abysmal, to forget the unforced mental errors that just killed Oklahoma time and time again.

I know my 'overall grade' will make some of you crazy but I mean, that's a decent team they lost to. NO, I'm not saying that's an excusable loss and particularly not the way it happened - Kansas State just hit Oklahoma in the mouth and the Sooners took way too long to respond. But, Kansas State is a bowl team with a quarterback who played three levels beyond anything he has done before in his career. At some point you just have to acknowledge...sometimes you don't have your fastball and the other guy is throwing a 99-mile an hour knuckleball.

The Sooners got their first taste of adoration from success and clearly the coaches this week were doing their part to humble their guys - remember the talk of some defensive rallying to the cause during practice this week.

It's a bad performance but this was never likely to be an undefeated team. But the questions that many of you, and myself as well, had in the preseason still exist. There aren't elite playmakers along the defensive line - though Coe and Redmond are showing signs of being able to crash the pocket - and the linebackers and safeties were just absolutely putrid in this game.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News