ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT CARD: Baylor

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
OFFENSE:

QB: Dillon Gabriel - 58 - When he actually completed passes, he was good but the three picks (though one was just bad luck) were deadly.
RB: Eric Gray - 88 - Continues to be the key man in Oklahoma's offense.
WR: Drake Stoops - 82 - Just kept moving the ball and had some outstanding blocks.
WR: Marvin Mims - 87 - A solid bounce back game but it feels like Oklahoma needed to target him more.
WR: Jalil Farooq - 80 - I just don't think you can get him the ball enough and they aren't anywhere near 'enough'.
TE: Brayden Willis- 82 - Great blocking but again, I just don't understand some of the decisions in getting him the ball.
OT: Anton Harrison - 83 - Wasn't as dominant as I've seen him but still found a lot of success running left.
OG: McKade Mettauer - 74 - Looked better in the run game but still not good enough.
C: Andrew Raym - 68 - That penalty may have ended up the difference in this game, just a brutal moment but largely was solid.
OG: Chris Murray - 77 - Can't say he caught my eye a lot either way but had a few nice pulls.
OT: Wanya Morris - 73 - Still got shoved around too much.

Offensive Average: 77.5 (852)

DEFENSE:

DE: Reggie Grimes - 50 - I don't know what Oklahoma does, I just can't figure how they are THIS bad on the edge.
NT: Isaiah Coe - 65 - Had some good moments, penalty was bad but looked a bit of bad luck as he was just trying to get away from the block.
DT: Jalen Redmond - 72 - Sack seemed like a turning point but as with his whole career the bright spots are too far between.
DE: Ethan Downs - 55 - Running him as a spy late in the game makes me wonder if this staff is sure on how to best use him.
LB: Danny Stutsman - 78 - I actually thought he had some very strong moments but need to watch more closely.
LB: David Ugwoegbu - 60 - Run fill to his side seemed like a problem for a good chunk of the day but again, need to rewatch.
CH: DaShaun White - 50 - After a great game it felt like he and the safeties just did little in the run game when they were REALLY needed.
CB: Woodi Washington - 65 - Rarely challenged but when he was, he didn't do much.
CB: Jaden Davis - 62 - Went out early but was just ok while he was there.
S: Justin Broiles - 68 - Had some big moments but again, the Sooners in run defense just weren't good enough.
S: Keyshawn Lawrence - 75 - Lawrence went out and was one of the few who looked up to meeting Baylor's physicality.

Defensive Average: 63.6 (700)

SPECIAL TEAMS:

K: Zach Schmit - 74 - Was good on kickoffs and the miss, while painful for OU, wasn't really on him - a 55-yard ask is always going to be brutal to expect.
P: Michael Turk - 86 - Thought he struck the ball pretty well and the ball rolling in wasn't on him, he gave it a chance.
KR: Billy Bowman - N/A -
PR: Marvin Mims - N/A -

Special Teams Average: 80 (160)

Key Reserves:

LB: Jaren Kanak - 68 - Kanak makes some big plays but the more he's out there you can see the mistakes that are a reality.
CB: C.J. Coldon - 60 - Man, kind of like Kanak it's one step forward and two steps back at times with him. More snaps = more problems.
DB: Bily Bowman - 85 - Had the key pick and looks great in run defense more often than not. He's this team's best defender and it's not close.

Reserves Average: 71 (213)

Team Average: 71.3 (1925)

My Overall Grade: 73

Breakdown:
I just don't know what to say about this team.

Do I focus on the fact that if they avoid an awful penalty this game probably goes to over time?

Do I focus on the fact that if Oklahoma doesn't throw two (of three) costly interceptions Baylor doesn't break 30?

I'm just going to focus on the bottom line. This is a mistake-prone team that if it manages to get out of its own way can play with just about anyone in the conference. But if you spot a Baylor team that is finding it's feet four turnovers...you're going to lose the game every, single, time.

I think Oklahoma's defense had it's moments but it sure felt like they folded a bit late in the game when their team needed them the most. Offensively, again there's a lot to be pleased about but the Sooners just don't seem to be making enough explosive plays and with guys like Farooq and Mims, that's just not good enough.

Scoring Standard:

100-82: Playoff Contender
82-74: Big 12 Title Contender
74-65: Bowl Game Participant
65-0: 'I'll be hoooome for Christmas

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News