ADVERTISEMENT

Quoteboard (Manning, Odom, Murray, Washington, Raym, Redmond, Lawrence, Willis, White)

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
Not doing a woe is me, but is anybody reading this stuff? It takes a while to compile, so I just wanna make sure people like it. Or is it a waste of time?

DeMarco Murray

Eric Gray?

For Eric Gray, he has a great mindset about him, a great work ethic and a great demeanor overall. You talk about a guy who is a pro. You don’t have to say much to him. You don’t get him revved up. He takes care of his body, he takes care of his notes, he takes care of his playbook, mentally, physically and emotionally, he’s been everything that you want. He’s been a great asset for this room and this team. You talk about a guy who does it the right way on and off the field, he’s high up there.

Kennedy Brooks?
He looks great. We are fortunate and glad to have him back. He’s a guy who has been around for a while. He’s a savvy vet. He does things the right way constantly. It’s trying to sharpen his game up. Just make some more sharper cuts, be better with the ball in his hands out in space, but KB has come in here in tremendous shape. He’s had a great off-season. He’s looking great.

Recruiting in person?
“Oh, it's been good. Obviously, this past year, you know, just having met a lot of the recruits in person. You know, that's kind of more my thing. Phone and texting -- it's a little harder. But, you know, once again, everyone was dealing with the same thing. For me, it's good to get in person and see the families and meet the kids in person and go that route. But it's been great. You know, it's a little a little different when you walk in with that OU logo on, and you get a chance to see some of these kids and their families and and, you know, just let them know what I experience here. You know, it's only gotten better since I was here. So from a family atmosphere to obviously a competitive atmosphere, this is a place you want to be.”

Roy Manning

DBs now compared to 2019?

On the coaching side of it, it's easy to say throw another guy in there but he's got to get the job done as well. On one hand, great to have more options, but at the same token, you've got to get the most out of whoever's out there. It's not as easy as just replacing a guy. Those guys have to be playing up to the standard and do what their specific position asks them to do just as well. I think, our guys, especially in the secondary and across the board, they understand, hey, if I don't get my job done, it's not, go again and go again and go again until you figure (it) out. No, at some point, someone else is going to get an opportunity. I think that's probably the greatest difference from year one to, I guess, year three now for our defense is that the competition level from position to position group—as we say, the price of rent has went way up. You only get so many opportunities when you have a line of guys, so to speak, waiting behind you, and fighting and vying for these positions. So for us as coaches, competition has always been the greatest motivator for someone to figure it out. That's in business, that's in all walks of life. You tend to figure things out when you can get replaced really fast. I think that's a good thing for us if we're going to go where we want to go.

Latrell McCutchin?
He’s done a phenomenal job. He was able to come in early, which is always such a benefit, to get that spring ball under their belt, to get up to speed and get out of high school mode so to speak. It was really good for him to get here early. He definitely flashed in the spring and showed some natural ability of what he can be. And then he struggled at times and hit a wall a little bit just like all freshmen do. But he’s done a good job this camp. We’re a week and a half in and the good thing I’ve seen in that short amount of time is he’s shown the ability to get the job done. He’s taken a lot of reps. We take that approach with all our guys. The day and age of making early decisions on whether guys are going to redshirt is kind of obsolete to be honest. You kind of go into it with freshmen treating all them the same. We’re preparing you to play. They get their four games. You kind of have to if you want those kids, honestly, to have a shot to help you. We’re mindful of that, making sure we get those guys enough reps. Latrell is definitely a special talent. You can see why he was such a highly sought-after guy coming out. He’s gotta keep working but I expect good things from him this season.

Jaden Davis?
Off the field, Jaden’s always been very professional in his approach in meetings and amongst his teammates. I think he’s a respected teammate by his teammates. I get to see him every day. So I respect his approach. So that’s one part of it. Again, here’s a kid that had an opportunity to play a good amount as a freshman. Because at that moment, I think he was the third corner and we really only played three corners. So I think he got a ton of time as a freshman. But as all freshmen understand, almost anything you do as a freshman is, ‘That’s pretty good.’ Because you’re judged by a standard of, ‘He’s new. He’s a freshman. Like I said, the price of rent goes up each and every year. So as good as you did last year, as a freshman, the standard isn’t good enough. So he’s battled and battled in his career, and he has understood that each and every year, I’ve gotta reprove myself. Each and every year. I can’t be good by, ‘I’m a sophomore now’ standard. No, I gotta be the best guy out there. And I think that all of our guys are understanding that each and every year, you’re not just judged by what you did the year before — as good as it may have been, you’re judged by what you do on the day to day, and where does that fall in line with where the standard of this defense, or the standards of this secondary is. And it’s really, really high right now for those guys. Guys that have played a lot of ball. Guys like you mentioned, Jaden, guys that underdstand like, there’s no system in place where I’m just a lock to be in this spot as a starter or with playing time. I gotta play at a high, high level and that competition and that playing time and that build-up of depth has only helped to push that narrative for us. And that’s how it should be at an elite program on either side of the ball.

Brian Odom

Possible to have too many good ILBs? Fear of portal?

Yeah you've gotta adjust. Well, here's the thing. At the end of the day, my responsibility is to put the best two guys out there that's gonna help us win a game, period. Hopefully I've carried myself through two and a half, into three years now here that they've gained trust, they've gained respect, they've gained confidence in the things that I do and how I coach. I want guys who wanna be here. If they wanna leave, you know what? It could be the worst decision of your life because we've got such a good thing going here. That's the environment I want to create in that room, that you're a part of something. This is something that's big. We're doing a lot of really good stuff there. So yeah, I understand it, there's individual wants and needs and I get that. But if you're a part of this group, we're different. We carry ourselves different. We walk different. To me, that's gonna help these guys throughout their life. So there's concern, absolutely there's concern. You don't wanna lose anybody but hopefully we've done enough work on the front end to make sure that this is such a great deal to be a part of that they're dying to be a part of it. They can't live without it.

Shane Whitter?
You know the thing with Shane is you don’t see nearly as many mental errors that you maybe saw in the past within practices and the limited game reps that he’s had. Whenever there’s less thinking with Shane, he obviously plays fast because he’s a fast dude. But that doesn’t take away his ability to be a great tackler. He’s got heavy hands. I’m excited about him.

Andrew Raym (Raym feature next week)

Love about center?

It’s been a great transition. I’d say what I like most about it is I like being square at the line. I also like having command out there, calling out the protections and calling out with the defense is doing. Just having my voice out there and leading the group next to me.

Mentality?
We got a lot of guys on the line that are just absolute killers. You know what I'm saying? Like, not just get-your-hands-on-and-wall-people-off, but get-your-hands-on-and-bury-people-in-the-ground. So we're trying to get that hardcore culture back in the o-line room and I mean throughout this fall so far, we've got a lot of guys bought into it. So I don't think we'll have any slow starts coming out of the gate this year.

Woodi Washington

Camp mindset?

Honestly, I take every approach the same. So camp this year is no different than last year to me. At the end of the day, I’m going to be a competitor no matter what position I’m at, whatever spot on the field I’m at. Like I said, I take every approach the same, so really it was just a mindset thing of just trying to work and just be my best. As far as where I’m at position wise, I would say as one of the older corners, just taking on that leadership role and helping out the younger guys would be the main thing that really changed for me from this camp from last year.

Key Lawrence?
Key has had a great camp. He’s played a few positions during this camp, mostly safety. He’s coming along well. He’s a real physical guy, makes a lot of open field tackles and he covers well as well.
I’m originally from west Tennessee and he’s from Mississippi. When I was nine or 10 I moved to Murfreesboro which is in the middle of Tennessee, and he moved to Nashville around that time. We used to play AAU basketball against each other.

Brayden Willis

TE/H-Back camaraderie?

For sure, I think we're all pretty great teammates together. We're all pretty good friends. We all hang out outside of football and everything. For Jeremiah and I, it started a little bit earlier, just because he was there when I first got here. Our friendship took place over the 2018-2019 season. That's when it really started. Really, it was just him being a mentor to me from when I switched positions, from when I switched from Y to H. Him being a mentor to me, and I really appreciated that at the time. That just kinda took over and developed into a friendship. And then obviously, it kinda trickled down to when Stog came in and he switched positions. It was the same thing. We were just kinda mentors to him, just teaching him about the position and really, that's how it started. Now, it's just a big ol' family. We help each other and we know that. Taking the load off of each other sometimes. It's a beautiful thing to see.

Joe Jon?
Oh yeah most definitely. First, shout out to Joe Jon. He's a great coach and a great man. But yeah most definitely, him playing the position has really helped us as a group, as far as football things. As far as certain things, like steps and hand placement, little tips and tricks that he's learned from playing in the league and everything like that, playing at the college level. Having him as a coach has been really game changer for us just in the little things. The little things add up to big things and that's gonna help us during the season.

No. 9 now?
After the injury last year, I just needed a new slate. I wanted to turn a new page and reinvent myself a little bit. I was a single-digit in high school. I just wanna, for my last year, have a really good year and have a new page and reinvent myself a little bit.

Stogner?
He looks good, looks great right now. It was a tough situation. Both of us went through weird little injuries last year, especially for him. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anything like that. At the same time, he didn’t let it affect his mood in the facility, his attitude and how he took about it as far as contributing to the team. We need guys like that. Ever since he’s been back healthy, he’s been balling. He’s been playing really well like we all know he can.

DaShaun White

ILB depth?

“It’s definitely motivating, to be honest with you. That’s the way I look at it. Just being in a situation where there’s always competition. As a player, you can’t ask for a better setting. Just the opportunity to surround yourself with something like that. Around the country, there’s not a lot of places like that where you can say you get into the three-deep group, and it’s still a really really solid group. I think that’s really just a testament to our group and how hard we work. I’ll say, biased, I think our linebackers work extremely hard. We do a lot of extra together. Just as it is, group work. All sorts of extra stuff, every single day through the summer. One of those things, now’s the time.

LB performance in scrimmage?
“Linebackers had a great day. I remember that. Linebackers had a really good day. We were flying around. TFLs all over the field. Jamal Morris had a really good day, I’m going to throw some names out there. Jamal Morris, Danny had a great day. Shane had a great, I’m not going to sit here and name all the names. But it feels like we all had a great day. It was just one of those days for us, it was a really positive day. And we’ve built on it, sort of thing. As far as the defense, it was a real good day for the defense as well. Really just, like mostly how we’re running to the ball. I know that sounds like a simple thing. But it’s really fun to watch guys run like relentlessly after somebody. You sort of feel bad for the ballcarrier is what it is.

Jalen Redmond

Isaiah Thomas helping ya thru last yr?

He was a big help. That's my man and one of my best friends. He helped me a lot. Just seeing him do good on the field helped me even more. It made me want to come out and do the same. He was a big help to me.

Key Lawrence

Prior relationship w/ Grinch?

I think it was a big part. When I was a recruit, not too long ago actually, he really prioritized me and recruited me. He made me feel like this was home, and I only came on one visit. I felt like it was going that way. He just kept it real with me, being honest in every aspect of the way. He told me what to do and all I have to do to be a great player at the University of Oklahoma and what it all has to offer for me.

Relationship w/ Woodi?
I’m not gonna lie, me and Woodi like grew up together. I’ve been seeing him since we were so little, (actually had to like going to see?) with no technique, but Woody’s been one of those dogs who just works so hard. Even though he may not have the skillset as he thought, but he always had it, but he never really built that confidence up until later in his career, but he’s always been a good dog, a good person to me. Especially playing now, he’s one of the main reasons why I came to OU.

What position(s) you playing?
I’d probably say, If you really know, you’d understand the fact that he wants to be big on versatility. So if you’re in the meeting room, especially him being a DC, what you understand is you shouldn’t just be so tunnel visioned on one position, you should also just pay attention to every other position just because if someone goes down, next man has to be up. So it’s a big deal for him that he puts on us and expresses to us that we need to understand that I can’t just focus on being a corner or a safety or a free safety, I need to know how to play everything. So it’s a big deal for us.

Transferring to OU even though both starting safeties were returning?
It's not really too much about beating out a certain person. It's just about wanting to be out there and compete on the field and be a contender for a championship as well. I just really want to come out here and see where my talents were. I understood where I stood coming into here ... I just really thought on the back end as well that I wouldn't hold anyone back. Now understanding that those guys don't really fear for their position. They want to help me as well, no matter who is the starter or who is not, they want us all to be great and lift up each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News