ADVERTISEMENT

Quoteboard (Gabriel, Grimes, Kanak, Helms)

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
Pod done, back to writing. Hey, a couple of freshmen.

Dillon Gabriel
Real road test?
Super excited. Just a great environment. Our first away game, which should be fun. And then traveling with the guys. But most importantly, just another opportunity to step on that field. So, never taking that for granted and just dialing in the preparation and being as best as we can.

Causing your own sacks?
That's a big part on my end. Taking care of the football, getting us back to either zero or away from a negative. And throwing the ball away when things aren't there or when I'm outside the pocket. Trying not to lose any yards, especially on first and second down, and then if we're in field goal range. I just gotta be better at that. I'm definitely super critical of my play and try to be better in every aspect.

Farooq?
I think getting him going and sometimes it's just not getting through the progression to him. But most importantly, sometimes with how fast we move, it's just sometimes either a running back night, a slot night, an outside night like you saw with Marvin. He could have two touchdowns or it could be a tight end kind of night and he will have, himself, two touchdowns. So it really is taking what they give us, but most importantly, just making sure everyone's ready when their time is ... and their opportunity is gonna come because you got to take advantage of it and you never know when that opportunity will come.

Tough adjusting to getting everyone's best shot at OU?
I’m gonna be honest, I don’t think so. And I think it’s because the way I prepare and knowing that on game day it’s 11-on-11 and not making the moment too big or too small and just approaching it in the right way. And having that preparation to me is something I pride myself on and preparing the right way. I’m really confident in the way I prepare and I feel like that goes a long way because I know I got guys on my side to that I would take over anyone. So having those guys on my side definitely makes it easy to be confident.

Reggie Grimes
First road game?
Very first road game I played in, it was Iowa State freshman year. It was Iowa State 2020 and we lost, so that was fun. But what I do remember is I remember going into Ames and it was just a hostile environment. You look around and you didn't see any crimson. It was my first real awakening moment to this is what college football is. You're going into someone else's place where as opposed to going to your place, it's your fans, your people, you're at home. Going away, it's different, it's hostile. You've got people booing you, it's a lot more amped up against you. I think just the difference between that and doing this now — one, experience; and two, just as a team we've been through a lot. We've done it before. We've gone into tough places and came out with a win so it's really just a matter of trying to do that again.

This weekend?
So, fun fact, my mom, she's from Omaha. That's where most of my mom's side of the family's from. She's from Omaha, went to Nebraska her freshmen year. She was a cheerleader, did trakc, all that stuff. So it's more of — I don't really take it as a super hostile environment because I've been there before. I've been on both sides of it at this point so I know what to expect and what it's like. So it's really just a matter of just going in there and just playing hard.

Defensive chemistry?
“As a team, we're a lot closer. We are a really, really tight knit group. And I don't think we've had that in the past few years. So now everybody loves everybody. We're all good people. We all hang out together a whole lot more than we have the previous years. So it's really just a matter of just knowing who I'm with. Knowing the guys I'm around. Knowing the coaches that I have and just going out and playing hard. Not just for those guys but for the fans, for my family, for everybody watching.”

Jaren Kanak
OU been what you hoped?
Yeah, 100 percent. I'd say one of the biggest pulling factors was Coach (Brent) Venables and the energy and the connection that I had with him. One of the bigger reasons why I came here, along with the other staff like Coach (Miguel) Chavis and Coach (Todd) Bates, I really had a great connection with those guys. Coming here with them, it's been super comfortable and a great transition. I've had a great time.

Difficult to tell Dabo?
Yeah. Decommitting from any school that you've been committed to and given a verbal commitment to isn't an easy process. Especially with something like that and the way the situation took place, it was a little bit more difficult than usual. With God's guidance, I was able to get through it.

BV's reaction to flip?
Obviously, he's a man of his word. Originally, he had given his word to (Dabo) Swinney that he wasn't going to try to poach anybody from Clemson, and he stuck with that. He told me 'I don't want you coming (to OU) if Swinney isn't okay with it.' He had a lot of integrity with it. He wanted to stay true to his word to Swinney, a man he has looked up to and learned from for a lot of years. I guess that might've made things a little more difficult to try to convince Swinney that this is what I want to do and this is what's best for me. Once Swinney gave me the okay, Coach Venables was more than happy to take me.

Comfortable at LB?
Yessir. With the coaches and the amount of pressure they put on us, they coach us hard. So when we get to game day, everything slows down a little bit. It gets easier every single day.

Strides?
Probably the mental aspect has developed the most. Coming from being an offensive-minded guy and learning the ropes on defense, it's probably the most improved. Other than that, the physical changes of being a defensive player and that kind of stuff has also gotten better.

Kaden Helms
Going home?
For me, it’s like a home game, almost. Obviously, being from Nebraska, grown and raised all around that area. I’m excited, for sure.

Joe Jon & the older TEs?
I think it’s been really good. Obviously, we have two really good guys in Brayden Willis and Daniel Parker. One thing for me is they have been big role models. Guys I can look up to for football stuff and just stuff off the field. They’ve really helped me pick up on the offense. Coach Joe Jon has been a big help. He obviously recruited me. We have that relationship built already. It’s been good so far.

Coaching chaos?
My big thing was I was really just going to wait to see what would happen. I didn’t really want to make any moves until I was sure what was going to happen with the coach. I’m obviously happy I did because we have a great guy in Coach Venables. Coach Finley was really just telling me that he didn’t know what was going to happen, but he was just telling me to stick to my gut, my values I held strong. If I did that, I’d be good either way. I think it ended up pretty good.

First game Sat?
It was surreal. Night game. My first night game. They got the new LED lights. Everything was up and running. It was fun. Definitely a good moment.

Llewelyn?
One thing I’ll say about Jason is me and Jason are really good friends. I think he committed before me and he kind of texted me here and there to see where my head was. We started talking more and more after that and I slowly committed after that. We we’ve had a relationship built since before I was committed. I wouldn’t say it’s a competition, it’s kind of who fits best in what system we’re trying to run through the week. Because we obviously have different play styles.

BV being hired?
My first reaction, obviously, I trusted Joe Castiglione. Whatever decision he was gonna make I trusted it. I think literally the day after Coach Venables got hired he flew to Nebraska with a couple other coaches and came to my study hall, I think it was, and just told me about themselves, about their values, just kind of their overall idea of where they wanted to go with the program and stuff like that. They had me bring my mom, too, so they could meet her. That was something that was really important to me, just seeing that family aspect that he brought to the table.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News