ADVERTISEMENT

Prime Shrimp NOLA BBQ review

[zoomLENS]

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2011
First off thanks again to Prime Shrimp for the delivery of the NOLA BBQ shrimp. As someone who’s spent lots of time in the gulf region eating seafood, I feel that I can adequately review this product.

I indicated before in another post that the folks at Prime Shrimp really care about their product. You can tell by the care in which they package their product. I’ve ordered products for years from GoldBelly and I’d say the care and cold packaging is superior and those details matter to me.

I made the first package of shrimp exactly as the instructions advised in boiling water. It was easy and a convenient way to make a meal. I made a cup of rice in a rice cooker and combined them in a bowl after heating.

The shrimp were a nice bright pink/orange when finished and having them in the bag combined with the seasoning and sauce the overall appearance of the dish was appealing and smelled wonderful and fresh. I was hoping that I didn’t get a dish that tasted like it had any trace of Old Bay Seasoning. Not that Old Bay is bad but it’s well overdone in gulf seafood and my first impression was that the Prime Shrimp chefs took great care in the selection of the spices. It didn’t taste like anything I’d had before but had a nice comfort food appeal. The spices weren’t overbearing and stayed in a lane that most people I think would find appealing. I’ll say this however, for those that are spicy/heat sensitive this may be a little bold. Maybe that’s a good thing as it’s not “hot” but one of the better and more surprising qualities of spice combination is that it’s bold and snappy. I love spicy food and found this to be right on target for an “almost but not quite too spicy” kick. The shrimp and sauce paired nicely with the rice and I ever reduced about half a cup of the sauce and poured that over rice as a thicker sauce. The meal paired nicely with a Negro Modelo and a slice of Key Lime pie.

I made the second serving in the same way but used a very tough and earthy wild long grained rice with Cilantro and tomatoes and that had a better winter dish feel to it.

I was truly objective about this review and usually I’m hard to please. I’m happy to leave a great review for this as I stated I would and would recommend the NOLA BBQ Shrimp dish for anyone who wants a bright and spicy shrimp dish that has a bold and balanced peppery flavor. The best part about this dish is that it can stand alone or sit nicely with anything you could add to it. As of this review I haven’t tried any other dish from Prime Shrimp. With that said, Prime Shrimp let me review their product unbiased. They sent me a great product and shipped it with great care in good time. I’m excited to go to their website and pick out my next selection and based on other poster’s reviews I have a good idea what I’ll order.

Thanks again Prime Shrimp and SoonerScoop for bringing them along as a sponsor that I’ll happily support.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News