ADVERTISEMENT

Post-ESD reflections: Grant Brix goes on record to discuss why he chose Nebraska over Oklahoma

Parker Thune

Campus Legend
Gold Member
Apr 30, 2023
It's that time of year where we look back on a few notable recruitments that went OU's way, as well as a few that didn't. I spoke to Brix on the record for the first time ever this afternoon. Story is attached. The only way I could stay abreast of this recruitment firsthand was to avoid sticking a microphone in front of his face, so it's not something I ever did during the process. Apologies if the coverage of his recruitment seemed cryptic at times for that reason.

And since it's all over and he's signed, I will go ahead and share this detail from our numerous conversations: it legitimately tore the kid apart to have to say no to Bill Bedenbaugh. He was enamored, as was his dad, with Bedenbaugh's track record of development. I had so many conversations with Brix over the course of the year where he waxed poetic about everything Bedenbaugh had accomplished, and how much technical knowledge he had. But at the end of the day, neither Bedenbaugh nor anyone could control the distance factor. Move Norman three or four hundred miles closer to Logan, and Brix would have been a Sooner.

On Oct. 27, the day before he took his final visit to Nebraska, I went up to Le Mars, Iowa to watch him play (as did Bill Bedenbaugh). It was as cold and miserable as any football game I've attended. At the time, it was Oklahoma, which is something I had on good authority. To that point, the 27th had long been the date that Bedenbaugh had set aside to potentially see Brix in person, but I was told straight up by a well-placed source that Bedenbaugh had no intention of visiting Brix if any signs pointed anywhere but OU by the 27th. Everything was progressing according to plan as of that Friday evening. But the next day, Brix was in Lincoln, and that trip became the beginning of the end.

Hopefully these comments straight from the horse's mouth help to lend some insight into the final weeks leading up to his decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News