ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Bennett comment about Venables defense

RichieMcSooner

Gold Member
Aug 13, 2020
I am about to refence some content from The Athletic so If I cross some lines here mods, my feelings will not be hurt if you delete this ---

There is an article today on The Athletic titled "Tennessee’s offense, in the eyes of those who run it and try to defend it: ‘It’s hell to stop’

I thought it was a fasinating read because of the all of the ties to our program through Heupel. They spend a lot of time talking about the system he runs and how he's adopted a lot of what Briles ran at Baylor had on what Josh is doing today. Throughout the article, Phil Bennett(who was Baylor DC at the time) provides a lot of context about his experience seeing that system.

Obviously this comment stuck out to me --

“Everything you do almost has to be an automatic package. Brent Venables tried to have a big playbook against us (as Oklahoma’s defensive coordinator). You just can’t do it. Art would say, ‘I wish we could play Brent Venables every game."

Just a lot of layers to this and I can't help but wonder what some of the conversations are like between Briles --------> Lebby --------> Venables are like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News