ADVERTISEMENT

OU's Fanbase

PalmBeachCane

Walk-on candidate
Feb 24, 2013
It's been a while since I visited your boards, you guys always had some spirited and quality discussions here. So I pay you a visit for some input.

I'm interested in OU's fan outreach, in particular, your administration's involvement in the community and developing a fan base of none alumnus. What kind of ratio does OU have of student/alumni season ticket holders compared to none alumni ticket holders? Are they effective at nurturing the base? If not, what are they doing wrong? If yes, what are they doing right?

I think that OU in recent years has sold roughly 75% of the seats to season ticket holders. The rest are students and others non season ticket holders [6% or so to opponents]. I think it is impossible to count non-alumni ticket holders. We must be doing something right as we have had sellouts for the last 16 years.

Are the Cane going to share the new soccer stadium being built near Coral Gables and get out of the pathetic home field they share with the Dolphins?

A large part of the fan base in general (not just season ticket holders) is probably non-alumni. OU football is the largest sports happening in Oklahoma. MOST avid college football fans in Oklahoma are either OU fans or OSU grads. As stated above, it is hard to delineate how many ticket holders are grads and how many are non-grads. My educated guess is it is about 50/50.
As for the question about the Canes stadium, isn't there a new UM stadium on the old Orange Bowl site now? Hasn't it been there for several years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT