ADVERTISEMENT

OU football media marathon tidbits

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017

I don't know how long I'll be transcribing or how long Eddie will be uploading video, ha. It's gonna be a process, let's just say that.

I talked with Dasan McCullough, Walter Rouse, PJ Adebawore, Jackson Arnold, Erik McCarty, Peyton Bowen, Austin Stogner, Jacob Lacey, Andrel Anthony, Davon Sears. All on video, too.

Quick hits

*Dasan McCullough

Knew Brent Venables from the Clemson days. Mentioned BV was the only coach he told he wasn't coming to their school. "That's how much respect I have for him." All the other coaches found out via his commitment announcement... Sees himself in the mold of Isaiah Simmons. Period. Said that almost the second the question was asked, no hesitation... Had no idea he would end up with his brother, Daeh, they're obviously thrilled it worked out like that. Daeh actually committed first... Loved how Indiana used him but even more excited to see what BV can do with him

*Walter Rouse
Had already decided he was going to enter the NFL Draft after his senior season so never knew he'd be going through the portal process... Tore his labrum and played through it most of the season. Surgery was Dec. 20, will miss spring practice and be ready to go for the season. He's not worried about missing spring... Wishes he would have handled the Nebraska situation differently, but he knows OU is the right spot for him... Knew Bedenbaugh from the high school process, so it was a pretty natural feeling.

*PJ Adebawore
Said Miguel Chavis is same guy so far compared to recruiting process... Didn't care about OU going 6-7 because he knew it would be different with new coaches trying to adjust to everything... Things clicked for him during his senior season, fully admits that... Soaking in the knowledge from guys like Rondell Bothroyd and Trace Ford.

*Jackson Arnold
Was never worried about Jeff Lebby-Alabama rumors. Never, not once... It's starting to become a lot more real to him that he's a quarterback at OU. It's not just an idea anymore... Grew up a Georgia fan, said he rooted for Dawgs in Rose Bowl vs. OU... Loves having Peyton Bowen around, been great roommates so far. Bowen is a video game dude... Dillon Gabriel has been a huge help (duh) in terms of understanding the offense.

*Erik McCarty
ACL injury so won't be healthy until July or August... Being injured as a mid-year stinks, but at least he's around solid medical personnel who can help get him back on his feet as fast as possible... Being injured actually allowing him to adjust to college life a little easier because it's been a whirlwind... Working out on all parts of his body, except for that left knee... No regrets about enrolling early.

*Peyton Bowen
Said life is back to normal, and he did his best to stay who he is after the signing day spotlight... Turned off his notifications when he flipped to Oregon. Then turned them off again after picking OU. He just wasn't going to let it affect him in any way... He knew it was going to be a big deal, but he was doing his best to stay true to himself throughout that entire week... First person he called was Jay Valai to say he was flipping to OU... (this was the last interview so didn't get as much digging as I wanted, oh well)

*Austin Stogner
Knew immediately he wanted to return to OU. Grateful to BV for allowing him to come back... South Carolina ran more of a pro style offense, so he appreciates being used in that way and learning that side... Watched every OU game he could last year, not worried about 6-7 record when so many games were one-possession deals... Called Tanner Schafer to get the ball rolling on the portal and return to OU... Happy to be working with Joe Jon Finley again and have a lot of familiarity with some of the offensive coaches... Definitely hoping to replicate what Brayden Willis did in coming back for one more season... Was in a mad physical, mental state when he left OU in 2021. Not the case now.

*Jacob Lacey
Graduated in three years (last May), which is why he could do the portal the way he did... Knew Todd Bates from high school recruitment days and Bates pressed hard immediately after Lacey hit the portal... Injury issues are a thing of the past, very excited to show what he can do... Very proud he got his degree from Notre Dame

*Andrel Anthony
Drake Stoops has been like a big brother to him throughout his time so far... Didn't know if Emmett Jones was going to offer for Texas Tech or OU, just knew something was about to happen. He told me "I might have something for you soon" so Anthony knew something was going on... Didn't know much about Jeff Lebby or that Lebby knew about him so he was surprised at how quickly it all came together.

*Davon Sears
Knows he can play with the big boys, knew it after playing Baylor... Once the Arizona State offer came in for the portal, he knew the Power 5 conferences were going to start showing up, sigh of relief... Loved his time at Texas State but coaches got fired and made sense to start looking for something new.

That was something. Almost three hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News