ADVERTISEMENT

OU 64, USA 60 final

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
A lot of beat reporters weren't there Thursday, so I got to ask a whole bunch. Ha.

South Alabama vs. OU, 7 p.m. ESPN+

Porter Moser

I ask more on the Doc?

Obviously, the timing was unfortunate to lose an assistant at this time. To add somebody when you’ve just started your games, it had to be someone that I knew, that I thought would bring value. I like the fact he’s been a head coach and has a lot of experience. And I’ve known Doc, and we talked on the phone. He was retired. It really worked out because I’ve known him for 30 years. Literally. My first year in the profession, I got to know him during the Southwest Conference. He was with James Dickey, and I was with Tony Barone. My time in Arkansas, he was at Fort Smith. Then he was at Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas. He knows the league. Outstanding coach, great person, knows me. To get someone at this time as an advisor with me, to be another hands-on deck going at this point because it’s very hard to hire someone you didn’t know or at all, much less with this timing. It came together and fortunate to have Doc with us.

I ask about advisor title?
Right now? He’s coming onboard as a special advisor. We’ll go from there. it’s just so hard to jump right in. He hasn’t even met the players yet. He’s just going to start and we’ll go from there. Right now, it’s a special advisor role.

South Alabama?
Saw the graphic during the Alabama game, I think they’re one of the oldest teams in college basketball. Twenty-five, 23, 23, 22, 22, old and veteran players. They have a true big who is from the Big 12. Kevin Samuels played at TCU. Pose a lot of problems as a long shot blocker. Their point guard is very good. Very strong. They have White, No. 22, can shoot it. They pose a lot of problems. They’re going to come in here and they’re older. I thought they played New Mexico at The Pit down to a one-point game and Alabama to an eight-point game. I have a lot of respect for what they do and their personnel. It’s going to be another hard-fought game.

Big test for Tanner?
You can just see he has confidence in there. Just defensively, you see him come over and block the shots. It's just confidence that way. I think he's playing a lot more physical. I love it. We need to get him more shots. I think he's taken six shots in the last two games and made five of them. We're getting some other good shots, but it hasn't affected him. He's passing better. He's rebounding better. I think he's really rebounding in traffic better. Kevin (Samuel) is going against him. And their backup center, both are full, high-level sized centers. It's going to be a physical matchup for Tanner.

I ask how even November non-conf games aren't easy anymore?
"I think the parity in college basketball is for two reasons: transfer portal, and COVID years. We're gonna go through another cycle next year. That's the last cycle. But you're seeing 25 year olds, 24 year olds, 23 year olds. You're seeing teams with old veteran guys. A guy that went to the portal, came out of the portal and he's already had four years experience. And now he's got a new start, a new beginning and you're seeing a lot of that. So to see the level of college basketball, there's no night you can take off. And for us, we always have a confident respect for opponent. You can ask our players. There will never be a game, I don't care who we play, that I'm not preparing 1000%/ So they know my preparation is always the same no matter who the opponent is. It's a confident respect. Preparation is part of our process. But then we're trying to be our best selves. We're trying to beat to get better ourselves. Be our best version of ourselves every day. And so a lot of parity in college basketball with the transfer portal and the extra COVID years."

Sam Godwin?
“When he came here, you look at his games against the high-level teams when he was at Wofford, that’s when he did his best. Sometimes you’re at that level, some teams go small, next thing you know you’re playing five guards or five smalls. But I thought how physical and athletic he is. He’s very athletic. You saw him, he had two baskets, two dunks last game. But his toughness is what I love that he brings. He’s just tough, steady. He gives us a dynamic of offensive rebounding, of toughness, he finishes around the basket. So I love what Sam brings to the table. Just a tough, tough, high-character kid.”

I ask about Luke Northweather/redshirt? Only scholarship player to not play Tues?
“We’re in the process of kinda talking about what we want to do with Luke. I just think he’s really going to be a good player for us. He kind of got behind when he got his ankle, but we’re still in the process of sitting down and talking with him about what we want to do. He’s every bit of 6-10 and a half, shoots it. But I love him and I think we’re just in that process. We haven’t made any decisions either way, so you keep your options open with that. Whether you redshirt him or not, you play him, you can’t redshirt him. So we’re still just trying to keep our options open. Would one minute in that game do anything for him? So we’re just gonna keep the options open with him and see how he progresses.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News