ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sooner Scoop Cookbook

_Jackson_

Sooner starter
Apr 11, 2014
Your mom
What's the best Man Recipe you have that you would be willing to pass down? If it's original it shall forth be named after your Scoop Usernane.

I wish I had one to share but I sadly do not have any worth sharing that are life changing. Haha

Let's hear them and maybe I can put a poll together and after about a week of people cooking and trying some of them we can vote on the best one.

Some that have been listed:

Spelts Smoked Enchilladas:
I'll go ahead and throw out that recipe then. I have no idea how to cook small, so this recipe is for a small army. 5 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts smoked for 4 hours at 225 with Kosmos Dirty Bird rub (if you have a BBQ rub you prefer go for it), wrap in foil after 90 minutes to retain moisture. Let stand for an hour, then shred all the chicken. Grab yourself a half dozen jalapenos, 2 habaneros, and 5 serrano peppers, run them thru the food processor ( I did mine with seeds, I like some heat), combine the mixture with the shredded chicken. Starting filling your torillas ( I went burrito size) with the chicken mixture, refried beans, and cheese ( I just went until I ran out of tortillas, made two pans of about 8 enchiladas each). I was feeling lazy and just went canned enchilada sauce, two large cans covered both pans. Topped it all with more cheese and sliced jalapenos, back in the smoker for 2 hours, covered the tops of the pans with foil an hour in. Put really nice smoke on the cheese and the enchilada sauce, served with black beans and pico, and chased with some ice cold modelo and a couple shots of ice cold Don Julio.

Tankers Oxe Tail:
Oxe Tail..... My " Go to" when I want to feed a bunch of minions.

The first thing you need to do is source some oxtail.You will need 2-3lbs of oxtail for this recipe.Along with the oxtail you will need a supporting cast of ingredients. 2 chopped carrots, 1 chopped large yellow onion, 4 chopped green onions, 2 diced tomatoes, 2 tsp of minced garlic, 1 TBS of whole pimento seeds (whole all spice), 1 bunch of fresh thyme, and last but certainly not least 1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper.
After you’ve acquired the oxtail the next step you need to do is rinse the oxtail with cold water. Next, squeeze the juice out of one lemon and wash the meat with the lemon juice. After you’ve washed it, it’s time to season the meat. I use ½ TBS of Goya Blue Top all-purpose seasoning. Any all-purpose seasoning will work. I like the blue top Goya because it does not have any pepper in it. I like being able to control how much pepper I season the meat with. Then I add ½ TBS of black pepper, 1 TBS of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp of minced garlic, and 1 TBS of browning sauce. Browning sauce is simply for color; it does not add any flavor to the meat. The browning sauce is optional if you can’t find it. The gravy in the stew will simply be a lighter color brown. I added it to mine because it’s simply the traditional way to cook this stew.

Mix the seasoning into the meat and make sure all the surfaces are coated. I like to let the meat sit in the marinade overnight in a Ziplock or vacuum bag. This step is optional. You can start cooking right away if you want.

When you are ready to start cooking, heat a heavy bottom pot like a Dutch oven on medium heat on your stove top with 2 TBS of vegetable oil. Place the meat in the Dutch oven and brown all sides of the oxtails. Be careful to save as much leftover marinade as possible. We will add it back in later. After the oxtails are browned, remove them and set them aside. Add half of a chopped large yellow onion and 1 tsp of minced garlic. Cook the onions until they are translucent, being careful not to burn them. After the onions are cooked, add in the oxtails, remaining marinade, one bunch of fresh thyme, 1 TBS of whole pimento seeds (whole allspice), and 1 scotch bonnet pepper cut in half with the seeds removed (habanero will substitute fine if you can’t find a scotch bonnet). I recommend wearing gloves when handling the scotch bonnet or habanero. Next add in 2 cups of water. Then cover and boil the oxtails for one hour. After the hour is up, add in two chopped carrots, two diced tomatoes, four chopped green onions, and the other half of your chopped large yellow onion.
Next, pour in one cup of water, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for another 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes are up, it’s time to add our last ingredient: butter beans. Butter beans are an essential part of this recipe. Butter beans are basically what we would call lima beans here in the states. They are one and the same so don’t freak out if you can’t find anything on the shelf called butter beans. Just grab a can of limas and you will be fine. Add the beans and simmer for another 30 minutes or until the oxtails are fork tender. Once tender, I recommend you plate the dish on a bed of rice. Garnish with some chopped parsley and be sure wash it all down with another ice cold Red Stripe. Enjoy.
Max's Grilled Nachos:
One of my faves is Grilled Nachos. I use charcoal or wood to impart a great smoke flavor. They are AWESOME!

My ingredients are listed below but you can use whatever you like.

Tortilla Chips
Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
Ground Beef
Chopped Onion
Chopped Green Pepper
Chopped Red Pepper
1 small can of Sliced Black Olives
1 can of Black Beans or Refried Beans your choice
Diced Tomato
Garlic
Sour Cream
Cilantro

Instructions:

I brown the ground beef in a pan with chili powder and chopped garlic, drain and set aside
I sauté the chopped onions, green pepper, and red pepper then set aside
I use a metal platter to build my nachos on. I lay down some tortilla chips, add some beans, onion, peppers, ground beef and sliced olives then top with the shredded cheese. Repeat as many layers as you desire.

Once the grill is ready place the nachos on and shut the lid until the cheese is melted.
Once done remove from the grill and top with chopped tomatoes and cilantro.

Add sour cream and salsa as a condiment for individual plate toppings.

Try it you won't regret it. I get so many compliments on these and they taste incredible.

Macdaddys Pork Shoulder:
a common one I make for watch parties...

boston butt usually 8-10lbs you can use pork shoulder as well

This rub makes more than needed, but you need to coat pork thick:
-1 tbsp chili powder
-1 tbsp cumin
-1 tbsp onion powder
-1 tbsp garlic powder
-1 tsp oregano
-1/2 tsp cayenne

Slice white onion, an ancho, and I roast 2 poblanos and 3-4 jalapenos and place in bottom of crokpot and place pork on top. I foil off top of pot and put lid on to hold in steam and cook on low for 8 hours. After 8 hours shred pork, squeeze in a lime, add good handful of cilantro, and pour in half a can of a light beer and I dont mean like bud light but light as in nothing dark (have tried bother prefer light, usually use Tecate or XX)..put foil and lid back on pot and cook on high for 2-3 hours.

I have eaten it over rice, in corn or flour tortillas, as a topper for nachos, just by itself, and wife used some to stuff tamales from left overs before as well...solid meal in all of them and offers variety when it's for a party as people can choose what they want

SIKs Crawfish Stuffed Shrimp:
Fry up some onions and bell peppers in a frying pan. Then add in some crawfish meat. (or can use crab meat, the real stuff, not the fake stuff) Sprinkle with some old bay... Then add more old bay. Maybe add some Louisiana Hot Sauce... It has to be Louisiana Hot Sauce or it won't taste right. Then get the biggest shrimp you can find and put a spoonful of this goodness inside it. Wrap with bacon and set on the grill till it is cooked. Sprinkle with more Old Bay.

SIKs Spicy Mustard Burger:
Or if that don't float your boat...

Grill a burger to medium rare. Then in tin foil put your bottom bun, then the burger, then swiss cheese, then thin deli sliced ham, then a pickle slice, then another slice of swiss, then the top bun that is smothered in spicy mustard. Wrap that all in the tin foil and put back on the grill. Put a brick on top of it to weigh it down. Go about 5-10 minutes. Unwrap and and enjoy.

(Both recipes have been Sooner Scoop tailgate approved)

Sooner 15s Spicy Beer Brats
Sooner Spicy Beer Brats

Place brats into saute pan (anywhere from 2-6 brats) with one white onion sliced and however many jalapenos sliced. Pour in beer of your liking so that it covers the brats and vegetables completely usually takes 3 or 4 beers (I prefer to use Shiner Bock, I've used dozens of others and it produces the best flavor). Cook on Medium to Medium High heat and cook until beer evaporates and cooks down completely and veggies caramelize. It typically takes around 30-45 mins, so be sure to turn the brats every 10 mins or so to get an even cook on both sides. Heat buns or hoagies, place a brat smothered with the caramelized onions and jalapenos into said bun or hoagie and cover with either regular mustard or some type of creole mustard.

Lastly and most importantly, be sure the drink the remaining beers you purchased in the Shiner Bock 6 pack or 12 pack that you purchased to make this meal. You need to make sure you are good and hydrated so that you don't hurt yourself.

Enjoy

SIKS Mango Mix Freeze

Take 3-4 mangoes. half cup of honey. Cup of mango juice. Zest of a lemon and juice from said lemon. About 20-25 mint leaves. Put in a blender. Turn blender on. When it looks all good pour into a dish and put in the freezer for 3-4 hours. Then transfer to your favorite OU bowl and enjoy.

mango.jpg

Ctwise's Decadent Seafood Gumbo
CTWISE Decadent Seafood Gumbo
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup salad oil
1 cup flour
2 cups onions, chopped
1 1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup green bell peppers chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, chopped
3 quarts (12 cups) water
1 can (16-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 pound package frozen cut okra
1/4 cup parsley flakes
2 bay leaves, broken up
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 pounds shrimp, shells removed or "ready to serve shrimp"
1 pound boneless chicken breast, diced
1 pound any white flesh fish fillet diced
2 cups flaked crabmeat
2 teaspoons gumbo file (it is a bottled spice you can buy at the store--has an accent mark over the e)

The key to a good gumbo is a good roux. Here is how to make a great roux.
Put oil in a large heavy iron pot, and using medium heat, let the oil get hot, then add flour and lower heat. You must stir the mixture (your roux) constantly. Cook until the mixture is a dark golden brown and smells like it is burning. This takes about 10 minutes. Add the butter, onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic and cook 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add water, tomatoes, okra, parsley flakes, bay leaves, worcestershire, salt and peppers. Cover pot but leave the lid cracked so steam can escape, and cook for 1 1/2 hours using medium heat. Add the chicken, fish and crabmeat and cook 30 minutes longer. Add the shrimp and cook 3-5 minutes longer. If you add oysters (which we do if fresh and available), they should go into the pot with the chicken, fish and crabmeat. Remove from heat and add gumbo file. Do not reboil after adding file. Serve over cooked rice (rice recipe above with Caribbean Shrimp recipe). This is such a "hit" with our Sooner tailgaters and friends. We have even frozen the oysters when available for future use. You can say, "it is the BEST gumbo I've ever eaten!"

88's Perfect Wings:
All cooks and times are done on my Pit Barrel Cook, so it may vary on your grill/smoker, but here goes.

The Perfect Wing Recipe - These wings are amazing….I call them the perfect wings because they have everything I look for in a wing. A little smokey, a little sweet, a little spicy, big flavors, juicy inside and crisp outside. What more can you ask for? I use a liberal amount of rub when applying it to the wings. When the rub chars and caramelizes you get a great flavor.

Dry rub:
½ cup ground chili powder -“Wait, WHAT?!? YEP!”
2 tablespoons ginger
2 tablespoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cayenne powder
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons kosher salt

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir till combined

Heat up PBC, place wings skin side up for 25 minutes and flip to skin side down for 25, flip to skin side up for 20, flip one more time to skin side down for 20 minutes. Crack lid for 5-10 more minutes depending on the level of crisp you are looking for. You can also remove the lid and finish them on the grill which I prefer to do. Pull them off put on a platter and serve with Ranch and/or Blue Cheese dressing.

Dr Pachecos De-Glazed Pork Loin:
Another thing I do with freshly ground spices... add some olive oil or Crisco to a frying pan. When it starts heating up, dump the dried (but freshly ground) spices into the pan.

Be patient, but it will only take a minute to start "cooking" the spices. You start smelling the spices sweating and emoting their flavor. Wait... wait.... then add about a half-cup of red wine.

Turn burner on high and "scrub scrub scrub" with a wooden spoon (no scratches). Dump that concentrated goodness into a crock-pot. That's "de-glazing" and adds a massive amount of flavor. Use the same pan to SEAR a pork loin on all sides and add it to the crock-pot. Add liquid... if pork, generic pineapple juice and Dr. Pepper (or root beer, just fill the crock-pot for the ensuing party). I also add some baby carrots and fingerling potatoes (little guys). Crock-pot on low for 6-7 hours. The result is either pulled pork or sliced pork cutlets. Crazy good... like candy. And the potatoes soak up that goodness. Totally "good eats"!

SIKS Grilled Bananas
I haven't done this in a while, but when i was looking up pics of my grill for the other thread I saw a picture of my grilled bananas foster. Split a banana in half length ways. It is best for the banana to be a touch on the green side. Definitely don't want overripe bananas. Then in a sauce pan you mix butter, brown sugar and some rum. Can add cinnamon or vanilla if you want to. Brush that mixture on your banana. Put on the grill flesh till you get some good grill marks. Turn to have the skin side down and brush again with your buttered rum. Go for about another couple minutes and serve with some ice cream.

CIMs Stroganoff
Leftover Stroganoff

When I do steaks, i make sure that there's plenty for everyone. As a result we usually have a couple of pounds of leftovers ;)

Slice meat into 1/4 inch slices (allow it to comt to room temperature after slicing)
One small yellow onion chopped
1-1/2 pounds Crimini mushrooms washed and sliced
1 can mushroom soup
1 cup full fat sour cream
1/2 cup dry white wine (if you use red, the sauce will be pink)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp fresh thyme
2 tbsp light olive oil
parsley

Saute mushrooms over hig heat in olive oil
after mushrooms shrink by a third add onions
When onions start to brown, add in the meat and cook for two minutes
Deglaze pan with wine
Reduce heat to medium
Add thyme and simmer two minutes or until wine reduces by half
Combine soup and sour cream and add to the pan
Add chopped fresh parsley and serve immediately over pasta, rice or biscuits

Tankers Deep Fried Cuban Sandwich Rolls:
OK this is another Favorite game day treat for me. Deep Fried Cuban Sandwich rolls.

Grill Pork shoulder marinated in Mojo sauce (overnight) slow and low. Let rest.
Your favorite kind of baked ham cooked sweet and diced up.(Basic Brown sugar and Brandy glaze is great!) You will need swiss cheese, dill relish, and egg roll wraps as well.

Lay out egg roll wraps. place cheese, sliced pork shoulder, and diced ham down on wrap. Add a small bit of dill relish and wrap it like a burrito. Hit that bad boy with some egg wash and deep fry that bad boy until golden brown. Repeat. This recipe works for a "Monte Cristo" version using the monte cristo meats. After frying dust with sugar and dip into rasberry sauce.

The mojo dipping sauce as follows:
1/3 cup olive oil
6 to 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
2/3 cup sour orange juice* or lime juice

(or equal portions orange juice and lime juice)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Heat the olive oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and lightly toasted. Don't let it brown or it will be acrid tasting, just about 30 seconds should do it.

Add the sour orange juice, cumin and salt and pepper. STAND BACK; the sauce may sputter. Bring to a rolling boil. Taste and correct seasoning, if needed

Cool before serving. Mojo is best when served within a couple of hours of making, but it will keep for several days, well capped in a jar or bottle, in the refrigerator

* Many Latin grocery stores sell bottles of "naranja agria" bitter orange juice, you can also find it for sale online.
recipe.photo.02.jpg

BOOM!

Rock's Bacon Smokey Weins:
Rock's Bacon Smokey Weins

Package of little smokey weins
Wrap smokies with bacon
Secure said bacon to weins with toothpick
Coat with brown sugar
Bake until bacon is good
Eat dem sluts

Cims Infused Tequila:
Infused tequila

Take a one liter bottle of plato or reposado tequila of your choice.
Pour yourself a healthy shot.
Cut one medium green jalapeno and one medium red jalapeno into quarters length wise.
Slide the pepper slices into the bottle making sure it doesn't overflow, careful, you may need to refresh that shot to make additional room depending on the size of the peppers.
Cap the bottle and let it sit in the dark for a week or two.
Strain the contents into another clean bottle.

Use it in Margaritas, shots or Bloody Maria's

If you do Margarita's, some may want to go half infused/half regular. Serve with a wedge of lime in a glass with a chili salt rim.

Chili salt
1 cup coarse salt
1 tbsp. ancho chili
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground chipotle (optional)
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly

Cims Guacamole:
Guacamole

4-5 large Haas avocados. They should be firm, but should give to slight pressure.
Juice of one large Persian lime (about 2 tbsp.)
2 cloves garlic minced
2-3 tbsp. fresh oregano finely chopped (use this in place of cilantro)
1 medium onion diced
1 large ripe tomato seeded and diced
1 tbsp. ancho chili powder
1 jalapeno pepper diced (optional)
1 oz tequila (infused or otherwise)
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Serve with blue corn chips and infused tequila margaritas! Ole!

Cims Chicken Suiza:
Chicken Enchiladas Suiza

Disclaimer: I loathe enchiladas stuffed with plain unspiced chicken. My wife and I found a recipe in the cookbook from the Denver Junior League as our starting point.

Take all the meat from a large roasted chicken and shred and place in a large mixing bowl
1 large onion chopped
1 large red bell pepper chopped
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped fine
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tbsp. ground cumin
2 cups jack cheese grated
1 cup mild cheddar grated
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream

Garnish
1 large Haas avocado diced
1 cup Cherub tomatoes halved
1 tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro

12 8-9 inch tortilla wrappers. use flour or corn. I like flour but we do both

Saute onion and peppers
Add with cilantro, cumin and cheeses to the shredded chicken
Place 2-3 heaping tbsp. in a wrapper and roll
Place the rolled enchiladas in a greased pyrex 9 X 13 dish (it will take 2)
Combine chicken stock and cream and pour evenly over the enchiladas
Cover with aluminum foil and heat for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven,
Remove foil and return to oven for 10 minutes on low broil.

Plate and serve with garnish. Charro beans, rice, squash and posole are optional sides.
Pour yourself another spicy margarita , and enjoy!

Macdaddys BBQ Sauce:
I know everyone has their own BBQ sauce recipe but here is mine...its hot so have to adjust for your taste, I have made it mild and is still quality, I just cut down to 1 tsp tabasco and 1/2 tsp cayenne

1 1/2 cup of honey
1 cup ketchup
1 6oz can tomato paste
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp lemon juice (fresh is better but bottle if in pinch)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp curry powder (I buy mine from an Indian store in Tulsa so its "real" curry powder)
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp worcestershire
2 tsp tabasco
1 tsp cayenne

Bring to boil rapidly (high heat) then reduce and simmer for 20-25 min, make sure to stir it well while in coming to a boil to disperse the powders good

It keeps for about a month if you bottle and put in fridge, never had a bottle last that long though

Vargos Verde Pork Soup.
OK, keep in mind this is a recipe I totally made up and I cook by flavor and not recipes, so it's a bit vague, with pretty much no real measurements. This is how I make my Verde Pork Soup.

Start with about 4-6 lbs of pork shoulder or butt. Rub generously with salt, pepper, CUMIN, Mexican chili powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Roast in oven on 375 (you could smoke it, but I haven't tried that yet) until the pork is ready to shred. Next is to make the "verde" part of the soup. I use a pile of tomatillos and poblanos in even amounts this is about equal to the pile of pork. Put these on a roasting pan, along with a whole onion quartered, about 6-8 cloves of garlic and a couple jalapenos. I usually roast these until the skin is bubbling on the peppers. I think you could go longer until you are developing a good char on these veggies. Also, doing these over a charcoal grill would be a great move as well. Shred the pork while you wait for these to roast. When the veggies are done, try to peel as much of the skin off the peppers as easily comes off. Don't sweat this step too much because next you'll throw all of these veggies into your food processor with about a half of a good sized bunch of cilantro, 2 avocados, and squeeze 1-2 limes in the sauce. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Now put your shredded pork, verde sauce and 2-3 cans of pinto beans in a stock pot. Add chicken stock to about 2-3 inches over the contents of the pot. Allow this to simmer for 30-45 minutes until the flavors all incorporate. Stir occasionally. While this is simmering, put 6 corn tortillas on a roasting pan in the oven and crisp them up. When these are done put them in the food processor and pulverize to a rough flour consistency. The last 10 mintues of simmering add the corn tortillas to the soup.

This soup is great as is. However, a dollop of sour cream, some fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime or an avocado cream all make great garnishes. Crumbling some queso fresco on it probably wouldn't hurt anybody's feelings either. Like I said, the recipe is rather vague, but I find that necessary as you just don't know the flavors you're gonna get from your ingredients until your cook them, IMO. This makes a pretty large batch of soup.

Tankers Hell Hound Ghost Chili
LB's Hell hound Ghost Chili.

What ya need:
4 Bhut Jolokia chili peppers
1 red or yellow bell pepper
2 1/2 cups water - divided
2 tsp. oregano leaves
1 oz. packet ranch dressing mix
1 lrg. onion - diced
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 Lbs. Stew meat
1 Lb. Pork sausage links.
7 cloves garlic - crushed
3 Tbls. vinegar
1/2 cup chili powder
1 Tbls. ground cumin
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 tsp. granulated sugar
(2) 8 oz. cans tomato sauce - divided
15 oz. can stewed tomatoes
4 oz. can diced green chilies - drained
2 cups beef broth
salt - to taste
1 lb. chorizo OR spicy garlic sausage
Beans Optional.....

-Remove stems and seeds from fresh peppers. Roast on skewers over a grill until skins are lightly browned. Chop into small pieces. Set aside.
-Combine 1/2 cup water and oregano leaves and bring to a boil. Strain, reserving liquid and discarding oregano. Set aside.
-Mix ranch dressing mix, onions, black pepper, stew meat, and sliced pork sausage links in skillet. Brown mixture, stirring. Drain.
-In large pot, combine roasted peppers, oregano water, browned mixture, garlic, vinegar, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, granulated sugar, 1 can tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, canned green chilies, beef broth, 1 cup water, and salt.
-Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
-While chili is simmering, brown chorizo in a skillet, stirring to break up meat. Drain. Add chorizo to chili pot.
-After chili has simmered for 1 hour, add 1 can tomato sauce, (beans here if thats your thing), and 1 cup of water.
-Simmer for 30 minutes.

Get the milk ready!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News