ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Overemployed - Long Drunk Post

Oct 10, 2020
--Was going to do a Vote, but Q length was limited--

Need some help on a job situation.

Job A - Current place
Job B - Possible new place

Curious if anyone has or is doing this currently. I recently got a job offer at Job B. However, it's not much more than what I currently have. I was contacted by a head hunter for Job B. Passed interviews with flying colors, but my offer was lower than what I made clear I needed to leave Job A to the head hunter. I'm very worried about the old saying, "The grass isn't always greener" and would like to explore the Overemployed option. Any tricks to the trade? Worried about scheduling conflicts with meetings (both are world wide and early morning heavy, meeting wise). Honestly, not worth the cost of job security to me to take Job B. However, I dislike my current leadership group where I have been at Job A for 10+ years. Literally have no idea how these "leaders" were promoted/put in place. Mentally, I need to get away from Job A.

Situation:
In Job A, I have done it for so long... I probably put in 10 hours of real work in the week, but in meetings all day. I'm an "expert" in my field. There's probably 1 person that knows our in house website/product better than me. However, with our leadership changes, I'm VERY unhappy. But, I leave... they will be in a world of hurt on this specialized product (I Think...). Would love to be a fly on the wall and what these "leaders" burn. :)

Job B, They have been looking for someone for 4+ months. I'm the only one that has gotten through 5 interviews and been offered the job. I honestly feel like no one is more qualified for this position more than me. It's a specialized field, so I'm really not being a conceded a$$hole here. Their offer "had no wiggle room", despite it being 15k+ lighter than what the head hunter put in for me and gotten approved. Head hunter claims they were supposed to offer me this. So someone is lying here. Not the start I would want at a new place either. Job B says the offer was based on "carefully evaluating the role, your profile, experience etc." which I probably irrationally find offensive. Literally, my profile and experience is why I'm asking for what I am.

Overall, I've got some options to choose from and would like some input. I typically try to take the high road. However, I'm over playing nice crap in Corp America and willing to do these options.

1) Keep Job A, Turn Job B down and see if they up the offer
2) Keep Job A, Take Job B's offer and see how the first few weeks go
3) Take Job B, but see how long Job A takes to get fired from (literally seen the process take 2 years for someone who did no work), and see how Job B goes in the meantime
4) Put in notice at Job A and take Job B, take a risk of being happier and being away from a bad situation
5) See if Job A counters, take it and keep looking for another job
6) Take Job B and keep looking.
7) See if Job A to matchs, turn down Job B and see if they offer better

Open to other idea's and input. I'm leaning to #7, but would love some input. #3 is what I REALLY want to do.

I'm crazy conflicted here, so much so.... I'm asking the board for input :p . Do what is right for me, but goes against my morals? Do what's right for my wallet? Put my hated leadership in a situation to burn to the ground? Be the good guy and go out where I can return to Job A if Job B doesn't work out?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News