ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Need some advice with Mental Health

Mike-Hancho

Sooner signee
Jan 15, 2016
My older sister has been completely out of control this week with what I think is undiagnosed bi-polar disorder. She has two young sons under 5 years old and recently got married and has 2 step daughters under the age of 8. She’s always been really hard to deal with and has her moments where she can’t control her emotions and blows up on anybody and everything. She was recently diagnosed with Graves’ disease and started medication which I know can mimic bi-polar disorder at times. This weekend I had to go out to their house and get the kids out of the house because they were so scared of her screaming and throwing things. Her husband called me because he couldn’t get her to calm down. She’s never physically hurt them but I’m scared it’s getting closer and closer to that point and she’ll end up losing custody of her kids. My family are really torn on what to do and they are all looking at me for answers. Just wondering if anybody has ever dealt with admitting a family member for mental health eval or anything similar.
I’ve been trying to get her to go to therapy for a long time but everytime we get something set up she ends up canceling or “forgetting”.
I’ve always been able to calm her down when she gets worked up but I live an hour away and can’t be there sometimes when she gets going. I’m just not really sure what to do, but we have to figure something out.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News