ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Homeless in Norman

Jenkins746

Walk-on candidate
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2021
We recently purchased an home in Norman that we will be renting out soon, so I've been in Norman quite a bit lately. When and how did the homeless population get out of control? Are there any plans for the city to get it fixed?

We're about to have 10s of thousands of people travel here who have never been here before. Its not a good look.

We recently purchased an home in Norman that we will be renting out soon, so I've been in Norman quite a bit lately. When and how did the homeless population get out of control? Are there any plans for the city to get it fixed?

We're about to have 10s of thousands of people travel here who have never been here before. Its not a good look.
It’s that way all over the country and has gotten worse with Covid. We forget how many people were affected professionally due to Covid and how many lost jobs and opportunities because of it.

I have all kinds of ideas of how you fix it but getting the local and state government involved or care enough to actually come up with a viable solution is wishful thinking.

Colorado Springs, I love 30 miles west and there all of the time, is awful right now and only getting worse. I Was just in ABQ, NM which has always been a hub for the homeless, has gotten even worse than it’s ever been.

Cities like Austin, LA, Portland, Atlanta and even OKC are all having major homeless issues that they haven’t had before, at least to the extent that it is now but again, there is a lot we could do to help with the problem unfortunately we just won’t do what’s necessary .

You don’t just arrest or handle the situation and the homeless aggressively but you deal with the problem where you can help the ones that can be helped to get back on their feet and the ones that aren’t capable of working a normal job due to mental illness, they’re are many different things we could do to help those people get off the street as well. Problem is that it takes an investment financially and physically to help those that can’t help themselves AND we have a bunch of idiots in positions that can make those kinds of decisions and so the problem doesn’t get resolved.

They’re are solutions but I just don’t see Cities that care enough to help solve or at least try to help with the homelessness.

Holy sh!t.

You should call Norman PD.

this will be fun. It's a complex problem but essentially our city government has not taken any steps to discourage the growth of our homeless population or manage it. I would recommend that people who want to be informed on this read Michael Schnellenberger's book on the topic called San Fransicko. It's a data based read on why the most deployed solutions don't work and what will work. Net is it's not about available housing and continuing to throw money at the problem will also not work. you cannot provide service to the homeless without the willingness to manage to strict criteria on how and when you get support.
Schnellenberger showed quite clearly that the overwhelming majority of homeless in San Francisco were Drug addicts or Mental Health cases. The amount of Mental health facilities needs to increase. It has been reduced by 90% since the 60s. The drug addict needs to be forced to treatment or face jail.
Building a homeless shelter anywhere near any existing business in Norman is not fair to those people. If we want a shelter and are willing to manage who gets help as laid out above we should build it/buy it further away from existing business ( out in a more remote area).
Net is don't make homeless easy for Drug Addicts and Mental health patients and you must manage it to desired outcomes,

It’s that way all over the country and has gotten worse with Covid. We forget how many people were affected professionally due to Covid and how many lost jobs and opportunities because of it.

I have all kinds of ideas of how you fix it but getting the local and state government involved or care enough to actually come up with a viable solution is wishful thinking.

Colorado Springs, I love 30 miles west and there all of the time, is awful right now and only getting worse. I Was just in ABQ, NM which has always been a hub for the homeless, has gotten even worse than it’s ever been.

Cities like Austin, LA, Portland, Atlanta and even OKC are all having major homeless issues that they haven’t had before, at least to the extent that it is now but again, there is a lot we could do to help with the problem unfortunately we just won’t do what’s necessary .

You don’t just arrest or handle the situation and the homeless aggressively but you deal with the problem where you can help the ones that can be helped to get back on their feet and the ones that aren’t capable of working a normal job due to mental illness, they’re are many different things we could do to help those people get off the street as well. Problem is that it takes an investment financially and physically to help those that can’t help themselves AND we have a bunch of idiots in positions that can make those kinds of decisions and so the problem doesn’t get resolved.

They’re are solutions but I just don’t see Cities that care enough to help solve or at least try to help with the homelessness.
COVID????? Get real, our southern border is wide open and thousands come in daily!!!!!! They have no place to go!!!!!!!!!

this will be fun. It's a complex problem but essentially our city government has not taken any steps to discourage the growth of our homeless population or manage it. I would recommend that people who want to be informed on this read Michael Schnellenberger's book on the topic called San Fransicko. It's a data based read on why the most deployed solutions don't work and what will work. Net is it's not about available housing and continuing to throw money at the problem will also not work. you cannot provide service to the homeless without the willingness to manage to strict criteria on how and when you get support.
Schnellenberger showed quite clearly that the overwhelming majority of homeless in San Francisco were Drug addicts or Mental Health cases. The amount of Mental health facilities needs to increase. It has been reduced by 90% since the 60s. The drug addict needs to be forced to treatment or face jail.
Building a homeless shelter anywhere near any existing business in Norman is not fair to those people. If we want a shelter and are willing to manage who gets help as laid out above we should build it/buy it further away from existing business ( out in a more remote area).
Net is don't make homeless easy for Drug Addicts and Mental health patients and you must manage it to desired outcomes,
This is spot on. It’s Norman residents that are suddenly becoming homeless. It’s homeless that hear thru other homeless of communities that make it easier for the homeless so they relocate to those communities.

Reactions: docntish

I live in broken arrow and we’ve noticed a lot more homeless coming from Tulsa. It’s getting bad

Reactions: Coop_214

Breea Clark

From what I understand, there is talks of converting the building next to Tara's and the soon-to-be vacant Norman Regional Hospital on Porter for these types of facilities, which sounds like a terrible idea.

I guess yall think the other college towns have no homeless people?
What makes a college town more desirable for homeless than a regular town? Edmond is a town of 100k people vs about 130k in Norman. I never saw camps of people sleeping at Mitch Park

Reactions: Ivory32
COVID????? Get real, our southern border is wide open and thousands come in daily!!!!!! They have no place to go!!!!!!!!!
In my experience, most homeless are not Mexican or Central/South American. In reality, I see them doing all the shit jobs the homeless (without mental illness) refuse to do. But it doesn't matter for those lazy ones, because they can just stand by the road with a sad sign and make several hundred dollars in less than 8 hrs. I offer food/water if I have it. If they refuse, it's pretty obvious what they are doing. If they are truly desperate/in need, they will take anything.

Norman's homeless issue didn't "get worse with Covid", respectfully. It started getting bad with Mayor Lewallen, and then exploded under Mayor Clark - waaaay before the Chinese developed and spread the Covid virus in fall of 2019. These aren't just homeless people either, they aren't looking for somewhere lay their head at night, they are the same people in the same spots trying to get money for drugs. Norman coddled them and now they are here for good.

Keep your eye out for some diamond in the ruff type players... we always need to be looking for impact players in the most unlikely places..
🤣who needs a carrot? just dangle a rock in front of their face mask and watch em run like Forrest. Ha ha couldn't help myself

I didn't see any homeless in Gilbert Az when I was there about six months ago. What I did see a lot of was street signs on the corners of major intersections that said "Its OK to say No to Panhandlers". I guess if you can't make money or get fed for free, you move on.

What makes a college town more desirable for homeless than a regular town? Edmond is a town of 100k people vs about 130k in Norman. I never saw camps of people sleeping at Mitch Park
Instead of complaining I’m sure the rest of the board is interested in solutions to helping the problem, let’s hear it, Joel Osteen.

I used to empathize with them. Then they broke into my girls car and broke a bunch of her stuff, including a box with her first dogs ashes in it that we had just gotten from the vet. So now it’s **** them. ****ing bum crackheads. I feel like an old man but I genuinely don’t care about them anymore and think they should get a job like the rest of us.

college towns are filled with sympathetic big hearted kids who want to believe - same reason a political party goes there trolling for votes

I used to empathize with them. Then they broke into my girls car and broke a bunch of her stuff, including a box with her first dogs ashes in it that we had just gotten from the vet. So now it’s **** them. ****ing bum crackheads. I feel like an old man but I genuinely don’t care about them anymore and think they should get a job like the rest of us.
I’m glad you let one person affect your view on 600,000 people!!!

It got worse when they closed the shelter by the hospital.

In my experience, most homeless are not Mexican or Central/South American. In reality, I see them doing all the shit jobs the homeless (without mental illness) refuse to do. But it doesn't matter for those lazy ones, because they can just stand by the road with a sad sign and make several hundred dollars in less than 8 hrs. I offer food/water if I have it. If they refuse, it's pretty obvious what they are doing. If they are truly desperate/in need, they will take anything.
The money being spent on housing illegal immigrants would be better spent on already existing problems like homelessness and mental health care for veterans/service members.

Instead of complaining I’m sure the rest of the board is interested in solutions to helping the problem, let’s hear it, Joel Osteen.
Pass loitering laws, enforce them, crack down on drugs? Basic stuff here. Can't help people that are strung out. Whatever people are left can go through whatever avenues there currently are that help people with mental illness.

Its pretty apparent Norman has turned a blind eye towards this for over a decade and now here we are.

maybe another $2 trillion tax cut for the top 1% will solve the problem?
Maybe your President, if he even knows what day of the week it is, could do his damn job and secure the border. You know....actually do his main job of protecting AMERICANS and enforcing the borders instead of letting millions in ILLEGALLY. My grandparents live on the border in Laredo, and cannot tell you how many times they have had things stolen, broken, and people just trying to get into their home at night. Since you brought politics into this, I will hit you back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT