ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Crazy Christmas tradition

Gozman

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Jun 8, 2001
Parker, CO
So I think I've mentioned on the board before that I served my Mormon mission in Southern Belgium and Northern and Eastern France. I started out in the town of Epinal in Eastern France, right along the Vosges mountains. The patron saint of Epinal is St. Nicholas, so being there during the holiday season was a big deal. In that part of France St. Nicholas brings toys to hide in children's shoes on December 6th, but he doesn't come alone. He has a helper ... Le Pere Fouettard (The Whipping Father.) He's covered in soot and carries a switch which he uses to beat naughty children. In some origin stories he was previously a butcher who cannibalized children and is forced to serve St. Nicholas as penance. I remember attending a Christmas parade in Epinal and seeing St. Nicholas and thinking "who the hell is that with him?" It was Le Pere Fouettard.

Anyway, this feels like a tradition worth spreading. Please share it with your children tonight and scare the living crap out of them.

le-patron-des-ecoliers-a-bien-l-intention-de-repondre-a-l-appel-photo-rl-1543523281.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News