ADVERTISEMENT

*OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA VS. NEBRASKA GAME THREAD*

How about some halftime synopsis'? I'll go first.

Initial neb drive did concern me. But after that?

Defense

Secondary has been OUr concern for longer than most of us want to remember but they held their own for the most part. What a difference a dline and lb corps can make. We've a special defensive unit guys and gals. Downs Grimes Kanak stutsman and Redmond? We've a very promising nucleus right here.

Now on offense.

Most important, today has been a good day for OUr online. Running game will get increasingly better with cohesiveness as the season progresses. We've got some bad mofos at rb imo. What we need now is a chemistry with Gabriel and the receivers. I tell ya we're only a step away there. Watch out.

• Love
Reactions: tansoonerfan
The sky is the limit for OU this year as long as Gabriel stays healthy. Unlike years past, OU doesn't have a guy like Landry Jones, Kyler Murray or Caleb Williams as a backup. Beville looks like a less talented version of Joey Halzle.

Kanak needs a game ball. Next man up came in with something to prove. He took over right where White left off, and White was playing like a rabid dog before he got ejected.
Kanak and White are very special brother, very very special. They wouldn't be able to do what they do without that defensive line. Imo. Lord have mercy OUr defense is gonna be something special right quick. Something I've been waiting for, for a long long time.

Last edited:
Kanak needs a game ball. Next man up came in with something to prove. He took over right where White left off, and White was playing like a rabid dog before he got ejected.
Kanak missed a couple of super QB sacks because his motor was in high gear. I sat next to Kanak's mom and step dad at the game. He probably played more downs than anyone. He is still raw and overruns plays too much but he is a force. This kid is going to be a first round draft choice. Marvin Mims' parents and sister sat in front of me. A very proud family indeed.

This game could have been 99-7. OU took their foot off the gas early. They toned down the playbook from the start of the second half. They ran as much of the clock as possible and had a very vanilla scheme once the second team hit the field. The size difference in these two teams was evident in the warm up drills. Nebraska is a very poorly coached and prepared team. OU wore them down early.

The Nebraska game was one of the more enjoyable games I have seen in years. Yeah, I know Nebraska isn't much of a team these days but the way OU played with their relentless style was a joy to watch. I could stand many more of those days. It was a great Saturday just when I needed it. Thanks Sooners!

The Nebraska game was one of the more enjoyable games I have seen in years. Yeah, I know Nebraska isn't much of a team these days but the way OU played with their relentless style was a joy to watch. I could stand many more of those days. It was a great Saturday just when I needed it. Thanks Sooners!
We're headed in the right direction brother. I have no doubt about it. 👍

The previous administration tried to manufacture defense with stunts and constant player rotation. Trick em, stuff. This defense is being built with the fundamentals of football. Great training. Great effort. Great tackling. And a damn genius defensive head coach who loves his players and coaches them really hard.

This is the way defense is supposed to look. And though Nebraska isn't close to being a good football team, they have been good on offense. But not yesterday, after their first touchdown. And when the defense is producing short opposing drives, the offense gets to go back out there and test a quickly worn down defense.

Watching OUr defense yesterday, was close to as much fun as when LeeRoy, Dewey and Lucious were playing side by side by side, and shutting out the Huskers without a snap on OUr side of the 50 in 1973. I still think, despite the unexpected loss yesterday, that K-State will be our biggest test so far. But the direction that we're heading is so full of optimism.

This season is going the opposite of last season. The defense is everything in that difference.

The previous administration tried to manufacture defense with stunts and constant player rotation. Trick em, stuff. This defense is being built with the fundamentals of football. Great training. Great effort. Great tackling. And a damn genius defensive head coach who loves his players and coaches them really hard.

This is the way defense is supposed to look. And though Nebraska isn't close to being a good football team, they have been good on offense. But not yesterday, after their first touchdown. And when the defense is producing short opposing drives, the offense gets to go back out there and test a quickly worn down defense.

Watching OUr defense yesterday, was close to as much fun as when LeeRoy, Dewey and Lucious were playing side by side by side, and shutting out the Huskers without a snap on OUr side of the 50 in 1973. I still think, despite the unexpected loss yesterday, that K-State will be our biggest test so far. But the direction that we're heading is so full of optimism.

This season is going the opposite of last season. The defense is everything in that difference.
Sir. 👍

Kanak missed a couple of super QB sacks because his motor was in high gear. I sat next to Kanak's mom and step dad at the game. He probably played more downs than anyone. He is still raw and overruns plays too much but he is a force. This kid is going to be a first round draft choice. Marvin Mims' parents and sister sat in front of me. A very proud family indeed.
@Scottsdale.Sooner I wonder if Venables is teaching the linebackers et al to tackle high to get their hand up at the same time or is Kanak just having a few bad mechanics carrying over from high school. The reason I ask is because Stutsman did that some last year where he came in high and the QB or rb juked him whereas if he was watching their hips he would have made the play. A guy like Vaughn will juke you out of your jock if you watch his pads.

Reactions: iasooner2000
10-4 thanks ! Doubt if I make the game but my kids perhaps. My SIL passed Friday night and services are early Saturday in Miami, OK

Reactions: Belldozer1
@Scottsdale.Sooner I wonder if Venables is teaching the linebackers et al to tackle high to get their hand up at the same time of is Kanak just have a few mechanics carrying over from high school. The reason I ask is because Stutsman did that some last year where he came in high and the QB or rb juked him whereas if he was watching their hips he would have made the play. A guy like Vaughn will juke you out of your jock if you watch his pads.
Kanak and Stutsman are instinctively natural ballers. We're lucky. 👍

We attended the game and it was really fun. After the game, we were standing right next to Kanek's Mom. I told her I was glad he was a Sooner and she said, "Thank you. So are we. We're very happy." Then someone yelled out, Mrs Kanek, you raised an animal!" Funny stuff.

BTW, the Nebraska fans were very gracious and tbh they were loud as hell for the first two series. And that was about it.

Reactions: iasooner2000
@Scottsdale.Sooner I wonder if Venables is teaching the linebackers et al to tackle high to get their hand up at the same time or is Kanak just having a few bad mechanics carrying over from high school. The reason I ask is because Stutsman did that some last year where he came in high and the QB or rb juked him whereas if he was watching their hips he would have made the play. A guy like Vaughn will juke you out of your jock if you watch his pads.
I think Kanak has not fully recognized the talent level of the competition. He was a man among boys on both sides of the ball in high school. He does not always come in high but seems to do it more when he accelerates to the open man. It was apparent that he was disappointed with the missed tackles for loss. I could be wrong but I believe he will settle down soon and allow the game to slow down a pace. He seems very coachable and will do as instructed. He must be a valuable piece to the OU defense getting as much playing time as he has as a true freshman. I like what I see. OU D is rated 36th this week. We have only allowed 3 TDs and lead the nation in tackles for loss. Our O is rated 18th with over 500 yrds/game. We are headed in the right direction. KSU is a better team than Nebraska by a wide margin by BV will have their eyes wide open and ready to play. I expect to Kanak hawking on KSU Vaughn.

That's a very solid rating for total defense, which is based on yards given up. OU is even more impressive in scoring defense, currently ranked 14th, giving up just 10 points per game.
I think these stats are misleading and we would be higher since we were running more base defense for at least the first two games. That said, it may even out as our competition will be a lot better moving forward.

Taken in context, stats can be very informative. I agree that they can sometimes be deceiving. For instance, some teams give up a lot of yards (which gives them a bad total yardage ranking), but they don't give up many points. Some teams that have horrible offenses that turn the ball over and bad special teams will give up more points (which isn't really the defenses' fault for having their backs up against the wall so often).

FdI2RnrX0AApsKu

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT