ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the Jean Delance situation...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Guys, sorry I've been out most of the day have a sick little girl I'm trying to take care of - one of the downfalls of working from home.

Anyhow, I'm working on a story on how I feel that the release of the video will effect recruiting, and as time is progressing also how Oklahoma's handling of the situation could help negate some of it - can't go into how impressive I think Bob Stoops and co. have been in letting their players speak their mind rather than trying to stifle any opinions.

I also think today's arm in arm 'walk out' of practice was pretty impressive - a dramatic statement that would draw attention back to the right things was needed and it seems to have happened.

But obviously the biggest news that is likely to come from this is the decommitment of Rivals250 offensive tackle Jean Delance.

I'll be honest, and said as much on Saturday evening, I've felt for a while he wanted a chance to look around without the strings of his commitment. He admitted in our conversation, and in others with several other reporters, that he made an early decision and wanted to look around some more to make sure he hadn't rushed anything - an understandable stance.

I think he now has that ability and frankly I think it's because Jean is such a nice guy that it was a difficult task to undertake.

That being said, I talked with Delance at greater length than the story I put together the other day and wanted to offer up the rest of the quotes as they clearly would be a bit pointless in Scoop.

He admitted that he was working on other recruits, something that you rarely hear from guys who are truly wavering and I admit it gave me pause about my general opinion on the topic but more on that in a second.

"I stay open to (other schools). I really am making sure I'm doing the right thing," Delance said. "I'm going to have some extra communications."

"Michael Williams and Dee Anderson, and I know there was a pretty big name wide receiver there [Devin Duvernay]. I'm going to try and get ahold of him."

Obviously Oklahoma wasn't enthused about their highly regarded offensive tackle still talking to others - again, before he decommitted - but when asked about how the Sooners expressed their feeling he raised an interesting point.

"They would rather be with just them and just stop it all but coach (Bill) Bedenbaugh said he is going to fight to the very end, he isn't giving up regardless," he explained. "He told me he is going to recruit me the same as he has been.

"They were my ninth offer so I can't say they are there from the get-go. I know they say that they are but they weren't. It's not something I hold against them but they weren't there from the get-go."

Again, it kind of fit in with the quotes about Oklahoma's depth at offensive tackle. The Sooners have very pedestrian depth at offensive tackle - at least as far as numbers go - and depth wasn't really a question I asked. I asked him about getting to watch practice and he told me he didn't get that chance and then proceeded to discuss his concerns over the numbers at offensive tackle.

In this case, he brought up the 'get-go' thing without me asking about it so it was clearly something on his mind.

It's just interesting and I think sheds some light on the bigger picture. There is no doubt the video hurt Oklahoma's chances here, it's a valid concern for any young, black person (athlete or otherwise) that would have to be cleared up before one could feel comfortable. However, I do think it's clear to anyone paying attention to his words over the past month that he wanted to look around - he admitted as such repeatedly. He now has the chance to do so without the burden of being committed elsewhere.

This post was edited on 3/10 7:14 AM by Josh_M

This post was edited on 3/10 7:15 AM by Josh_M

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News