ADVERTISEMENT

My guess as to what's missing on offense in the tough games

Stogner showed up well last night and will be needed the rest of the way. Perhaps the stars are aligning for a great 2nd season for BV and the team after the disappointing season last year.

Reactions: Medic007
Where'd the H-back position go? Did that leave with Cale Gundy? I'm not an x's and o's guy so I don't truly know, but I recall we've always had studs like Runnels and Flowers amongst others. That seemed to be a very productive position. I don't think we've had one since Hall.

Thoughts?
we also had that big white dude several years ago at this position. I think its more easy to find one of these H back position guys than maybe any other. They don't have to be overly fast or big ... just tough and able to run a little and catch a little. Do we currently have any of these types of guys on the roster? Maybe even a 2nd or 3rd team defensive guy that would want to play a little offense?

Lebby and Riley to some extent, do not use the HB/TE like Bob did. The best offenses in OU history, had great HB/TE play.
I wonder if it wasn't Cale Gundy who I believe coached that position. Riley used H-backs, last one was Jeremiah Hall. Maybe Lebby and his staff aren't folks who use it in scheme.

we also had that big white dude several years ago at this position. I think its more easy to find one of these H back position guys than maybe any other. They don't have to be overly fast or big ... just tough and able to run a little and catch a little. Do we currently have any of these types of guys on the roster? Maybe even a 2nd or 3rd team defensive guy that would want to play a little offense?
We've had some really good ones, several went to the NFL that I can recall. But just as you described, run a little, catch a little (OU's have been clutch and big play), and beat the shit out of the men in front of you while blocking, and it seems to be way better than a two dimensional traditional TE who can't do the running part well enough.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Does anyone know what’s up with T Walker ? He only had one or two plays (if any) after having the one game with about 150 yards and I believe he scored on his first play of that game and has disappeared

Reactions: Oklabama
Does anyone know what’s up with T Walker ? He only had one or two plays (if any) after having the one game with about 150 yards and I believe he scored on his first play of that game and has disappeared

Saturday he had one carry for -2 yards. Could he have been injured? If not, weird that he wasn’t involved further.

Where'd the H-back position go? Did that leave with Cale Gundy? I'm not an x's and o's guy so I don't truly know, but I recall we've always had studs like Runnels and Flowers amongst others. That seemed to be a very productive position. I don't think we've had one since Hall.

Thoughts?
I’ve been thinking the same thing. Willis was also an excellent part of OU’s offense.
Stogner is okay it he’s not an H-back like the previous ones.

we have a couple of guys that could fill that role. Three that I can think of. Josh Fanuiel was a basketball player at Cameron 6'4 240ish, Kade McIntrye, and my favorite Hampton Fay. Fay was a QB at Michigan St. 6'5 250 and can run. Not sure how physical these guys can be but cant be any worse than Stogner.

Reactions: loopafied68
Also, until this game Stogner had been invisible. Why had the TE had been left out of our offense?
Stogner has made some good plays. He also has made many boneheaded plays that had me wishing he had stayed in South Carolina. Who's going to be our next truly great TE?
Also, JD Runnels was one of the best to play halfback at Oklahoma. Great hands, great runner, great blocker, great person!

Stogner has made some good plays. He also has made many boneheaded plays that had me wishing he had stayed in South Carolina. Who's going to be our next truly great TE?

Stogner has his moments, but he’s certainly not graced with the athletic ability of a Jermaine Gresham or Mark Andrews. Physically, he looks more like a converted lineman, lumbering down the field after a reception, waiting to get blasted by a safety.

Reactions: Medic007
Davon Mitchell will be a good one, was a 5-star #1 TE in the 2025 class, he reclassified and dropped to a 4-star makes no sense.

Stogner isn't a great blocker so using him in such a way has been problematic. Up through last season (Willis) we had a guy that was an excellent blocker who could sneak under zones or chip block and leak out into the flat, up the seems or routes similar to a wheel. They were physical and athletic. Stogner's experience and receiving ability has made it necessary for him to be on the field be he's a flex TE/WR.

I don't think we're done with the H back. We just don't have that guy, at least not one ready yet. We have been extremely blessed to have one after the other for the better part of 2 decades. Don't be surprised to see one emerge into 2024.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT