ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Notes...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
While we're all here sitting and waiting for the decision of Texas State defensive lineman Davon Sears, there's a few other things in play...

First off is he won't be the only OU offer making his announcement today as I've been able to confirm that North Texas tight end, and Norman, Okla. native Jake Roberts is also making his announcement today - I'm not sure on the timing yet of that one but the Sooners will know their fate before the end of the day.

I've heard various stuff but the fact he never arrived in Norman for a visit seems concerning and I've heard considerable Arkansas buzz. We'll keep an eye on the situation.

Secondly is the thing that has been rumored for a week or so now and frankly I've stayed out of it because I've not heard enough on it but it does sound like there could be a verdict on the situation with Texas Tech wide receivers coach Emmett Jones and the interest that the Sooners have, clearly, expressed.

It's been clear that Oklahoma had some interest for a while but there's been some varied chatter about just how serious it's been. And as things dragged on, it got more confusing - was it dragging out because a deal was being ironed out or was the interest never that serious from one side or another?

As the weekend went on we've spoken to a few people and know that the Tech staff caught wind of Oklahoma's interest and tried to take Jones' temperature a bit a few days ago and apparently came away concerned enough to, at least according to one source, have improved his offer for 2023.

I'm told that Oklahoma has been willing to match that and some feel a verdict could come as soon as today for the Sooners.

My guess is that Jones is the next receivers coach at Oklahoma but there are a few hurdles to clear in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News