ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Notes...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
*Alright guys, we'll get this thing started with the most topical guy of the moment Tyler (Texas) Legacy Rivals250 defensive end Jordan Renaud.

I'll be honest, I had written this blurb out earlier this evening and frankly it was about what I'd coming into the weekend expecting to write. 'Oklahoma made a good run but I'm still going to bet on Alabama and will be changing my forecast'.

But, as ever, I'm patient - a trait that I know you all love very much - and I heard from a few more sources in the evening and came across some pretty interesting ideas. The most notable of those is that the Sooners may well have hit it out of the park with Renaud's family.

"I think mom and dad want him (at Oklahoma)," the source said. "It's going to be a battle."

We're going to keep checking as it's unusual that things feel this tight so close to a decision. But still, I came away feeling better about the Sooners chances on Sunday evening than I did during lunch on Sunday.

**The next one is a sign of a forecast I'm about ready to put in.

That forecast?

Lincoln (Neb.) East's Rivals100 tight end Malachi Coleman.

In speaking to a few sources over the past few weeks it has felt like Oklahoma was picking up real momentum in his recruitment and I know speaking to our guy @Clint Cosgrove after his recent chat with Coleman that he got some vibes that the Sooners were a very real threat to long-time leader Nebraska.

Well of course that fire only grows more considerable with today's firing of Scott Frost and Coleman's apparent reaction to it.

Based on some of the stuff I've heard my biggest question mark may be around something I've seen mentioned already on the Corner, does this give Nebraska some time to really hit the ground running with their new staff around Dec. 1 and perhaps reel Coleman in at a later date?

It's possible but that's all so hypothetical it's hard to take seriously at this point. As it is though, I'm about a breath away from putting in a forecast.

***I spoke a bit tonight with Denton (Texas) Guyer defensive back Ryan Yaites about his visit and it sounds like things went well though I admit he was fairly vague about anything - I think he's still being a bit cautious after a recent situation that may have caused him some distress in his relationships with various coaching staffs.

Still though, he admitted to having a good time with his buddies in Norman.

"Night games are always fun. (It's) cool to see the lights and fans," Yaites said modestly.

He also told me that right now there is clearly nothing imminent in his situation "I'm comfortable where I stand with my commitment."

Obviously that leaves a little to be desired as far as clarity goes but it doesn't change that it's good news that Yaites keeps showing up in Norman and that the Sooners aren't ready to give up on this pursuit.

****The final big piece of the weekend's puzzle was Denton (Texas) Guyer Rivals100 safety Peyton Bowen.

I'm told that the Sooners, much like Renaud, did a nice job of putting his family's mind at ease with the possibility of him ending up in Norman. I'd heard from a few difference places - as Scoop talked about on Friday - that Todd Bates was going to have a bigger role this weekend and may have had a big hand in this comfort being built.

"It was about perfect," one source said.

Now there comes a point where you do wonder what Bowen could be waiting for as far as a final decision but the Sooners remain sphinx like and just keep running their race. And it's a race I continue to like their chances in.

*****One visitor who didn't make it in was David Hicks, who was instead at Texas A&M, but I'm told that was largely by a scheduling conflict. His brother had a game of his own and that made it difficult for David to get to Norman. Now that isn't to say he didn't want to visit A&M. It's just a matter of what time allowed for.

And yes, even with the Aggies visit I'm as confident in this situation as I was when I forecasted it the day after the Party at the Palace as many of the things people are talking about - expedited timelines, etc. are things we've been discussing for a while as frankly there just isn't much Hicks hasn't seen from any of the schools he is eyeing. I'll be seeing him this Thursday and hopefully have more insight on the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News