ADVERTISEMENT

Monday Notes...(UPDATE: 4:53p):

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
UPDATE 4:53p - It's official Mark Jackson has flipped to Oklahoma.

UPDATE: 4:11p -
Just wanted to let you all know that we are aware of reports that Cibolo (Texas) Steele DE/OLB Mark Jackson has flipped from Texas A&M to Oklahoma.

As most of you know, we aren't in the business of spoiling a kid's moment. Jackson is scheduled to announce at 5 pm CT and we promise you all we will have a complete breakdown afterwards.

UPDATE: 2:47p - Joe: I've confirmed through Edmond Memorial kicker Braxton Pickard that Oklahoma has given him the opportunity to come in as a preferred walk-on. I saw Pickard against Mustang earlier in the year and he clearly stood out in warm-ups and during the game as somebody with a big-time leg.

Sounds like Pickard has been on Jay Boulware's radar for awhile. We'll have a full update later.

UPDATE: 2:15p -
I'm told that the Alabama commitment of cornerback Nigel Knott will have NO impact on the decision of Jared Mayden on Wednesday. Alabama still has room for him and had planned on these being their two corners (as I understand the situation).

UPDATE: 1:30p -
I've been told that Oklahoma is not currently pushing for Montgomery, Ala. three-star linebacker P.J. Blue. It's not all over but the Sooners aren't likely to land a commitment from him as their focus seems to be elsewhere.

UPDATE: 12:29p -
Rivals250 DT Chris Daniels will now make his announcement at 7:45 am on Wednesday, had been scheduled for a 10:00 a.m. announcement. This has been updated on the announcement schedule as well.

UPDATE: 11:00a -
Bryce Youngquist just released a statement via Twitter ...

UPDATE: 10:26a -
OK guys had a chance to talk with a source and it seems that, since his Baylor visit, Oklahoma has not spoken to Parrish Cobb. Now they are set to talk tonight but if everything was beyond concern most would assume that Cobb would simply call Oklahoma and let them know 'we're all good', but as of yet that conversation has not happened.

That being said, we should all know more this evening.

UPDATE: 9:48a -
I've had a lot of you ask whether or not Oklahoma would take both Mykel Jones and Velus Jones in case the latter's situation gets any crazier with some sort of signing day switch.

I'm told they are both definitely takes for the Sooners should they both elect to come.

UPDATE: 9:05a -
I hadn't thought of it at the time but kind of dumbly stumbled across some news this morning, I'm told that Oklahoma will NOT be sending a letter of intent to Tramonda Moore for national signing day.

This was made possible by the commitment of Erik Swenson on Saturday night but I kind of figured that Moore is a guy they would just sign and place but apparently that was deemed unnecessary.

And he'll sign with what I understand to be his lone available FBS offer, Oklahoma State. Again, just a tremendously talented kid that fell too far behind early in his high school career and with the changes in NCAA rules over the past few years wasn't able to just 'make them up' as predecessors could have.

ORIGINAL:
Alright guys, only 48 hours left until the real thing so let's get going.

***First is Cibolo (Texas) Steele outside linebacker offer Mark Jackson and the news that an announcement is expected today. I'm not going to give a wink but the word I've heard is that Oklahoma is in a very, very good position to flip the four-star, long-time, Texas A&M commitment.

We'll see what happens but he and I are supposed to talk today and last night, in a brief conversation he told me that the visit went very well.

"(The visit) was great. I really enjoyed it and being around the coaches and staff," Jackson said.

It's not much but the background noise I'm hearing is that Oklahoma is in a very strong spot.

***Next is the visit of Patterson, La. Rivals100 wide receiver Mykel Jones and his 24-hour visit to Norman from Saturday evening to last night.

The conversations I've had weren't lengthy but everyone I've talked to seem to point to Oklahoma pulling another late steal for the 2016 class. For those that don't know Jones suffered a knee injury last March and missed five games in the 2015 season. He bounced back for a nice senior year but the injury may have scared a few teams off.

Jones visit to Norman was 'really good', 'great', or 'enough to really make him think' depending on who I talked to. We'll see what happens but if you made me pick today Oklahoma is the bet I'd make.

However keep an eye on Ole Miss and Alabama who haven't completely shut the door on the talented receiver.

***I talked a bit about it last night but Oklahoma's offer to Riley Cole of Oneonta, Ala. is one of the more wild things I can remember. The 6-foot-3, 230-pound linebacker was long a commitment to Alabama and, to my understanding, wasn't looking at many other programs and many weren't looking at him because of that commitment.

Oklahoma got word, again to my knowledge, at the same time as everyone else yesterday that Cole had been asked to grayshirt at Alabama. For those unfamiliar with the term grayshirt it basically means a player is asked to sit out a semester and sign in January so that he can count toward the next recruiting class.

Though there is a legitimate question of whether or not that was Alabama's plan or simply a nice way for a 'recruiting break-up'.

As I was saying though, the Sooners seemed to find out when everyone else did and took a few hours and eventually made a decision to offer - just under the deadline of the end of the contact period.

My guess, and that's all it is at this point, is that Oklahoma sent him a letter of intent so that they can have phone contact with him until NSD.

We'll see though.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News