ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy on the Bedlam rivalry

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
He seems to be blaming OU for ending it with its move to the SEC, and from his perspective, I can understand his view.
But I believe that the OU-OSU rivalry ending should be a breath of fresh air for Gundy as he's won only two of his 15 games vs OU.
(OU owns a 91-19-7 advantage in the series).
OSU will no longer exist in the shadows of OU.... but that may widen the recruiting gulf between the two teams even more than it has been, including in the state of Oklahoma.

He seems to be blaming OU for ending it with its move to the SEC, and from his perspective, I can understand his view.
But I believe that the OU-OSU rivalry ending should be a breath of fresh air for Gundy as he's won only two of his 15 games vs OU.
(OU owns a 91-19-7 advantage in the series).
OSU will no longer exist in the shadows of OU.... but that may widen the recruiting gulf between the two teams even more than it has been, including in the state of Oklahoma.
He should be glad. Big brother is no joke. We beat the hell out of OSU on a regular. Gundy has always brought in a class that wanted to play against OU or Texsux. Will it help his recruiting when we're gone or does it help?

Things will change for me after this final year in the Big 12. For now, the Pokes are still "little brother" and I want the Sooners to go out in style with a good old-fashion beating for win #91.

After the Sooners join the SEC, OSU will be the team I root for in the Big 12, and I hope they do well. I don't hate Gundy. Still, Okie State has no place in my heart, I will NEVER wear orange, but I do care about the Big 12 and will miss the schools we have played for decades. By pulling for the Pokes, I can still follow a state team in the B12 with vested interest.

Something like this would have been impossible 43 years ago as OSU fans were the biggest bunch of annoying jerks I ever knew. I did not graduate from OU. I moved to Oklahoma after going to college in Michigan. But dang - when I moved to Oklahoma, it was those the obnoxious Poke fans that made me a Sooner fan. Seriously. I reasoned, "If these idiots hate the Sooners THIS much, and accuse me of being an out-of-state band wagon Sooner fan (without me ever mentioning OU) then the Sooners are my team."

I don't know if I changed or the fan base changed (or both), but now some of the finest people I know are Okie State grads and fans.

Last edited:
"Gundy, you can't handle the truth. Son, we live in a world where OSU is OU's eternal bitch. Whose bitch will you be now--Cincinnati, Houston? We live in a world where you got one guaranteed home sellout every other year. You gonna get that from Kansas State or Iowa State? Either way, your daddy is gone and you should just say thank you and be on your way..."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT