ADVERTISEMENT

Loss of Gundy

Sep 5, 2001
Any thoughts on whether some of the disconnect between Gabriel and his receivers is the loss of Gundy from the offensive room? He served as the connector between the recruits/players from the old regime, and the style and goals of the new.

I think it would have been more evident week 1 and improved by now (if Gundy leaving had anything to do with it)

I think the problem may have more to do with our position coach having little or no coaching experience. Brent seems to have a history of moving analysts into a coaching slot. That being said, IMO losing Gundy when we did put a lot of pressure on Brent finding a replacement. Just another problem for Brent to deal with this season.

a_x good question
He couldn’t do the right thing at the critical moment and save his career and become a legend possibly, strange and sad

Last edited:
Reactions: loopafied68
Cale was a huge loss for Brent. Cale was an integral part of OUr program for what 20+ years. Brent and Cale had what 13, 14 years together before Brent left for Clemson. Cale had a handle on the pulse of OU. Dang shame how it went down. I'm sure Brent didn't like it.

I understand the coaches do play an important role, but these kids have been playing football for years and should be able to perform at a much higher level even without any coaching at all. The coach didn't tell Gabriel to overthrow receivers constantly. They expect players at this level to be able to make a tackle and to not jump offsides. These players need to step up

I understand the coaches do play an important role, but these kids have been playing football for years and should be able to perform at a much higher level even without any coaching at all. The coach didn't tell Gabriel to overthrow receivers constantly. They expect players at this level to be able to make a tackle and to not jump offsides. These players need to step up
Bob got em to play. 👍

Too many low percentage long pass plays. Did he (Lebby) not understated this stagnated even the guru Riley’s offense. Where did Major go ? Back in the doghouse or hurt? Barnes did well in his place. The offense made me nauseous and defense disappearance finished me off. Things gotta turn around...

Reactions: iasooner2000
of course not......my point is the players have to take a lot of the responsibility as well. Its not just a coaching issue
My point is losing Gundy has hurt this program brother. Cale was heart and soul sooner. God dam shame. 👍

As Bob S. said a while back everyone just needs to move on from it. I grew up in the 70's and 80's when Coaches I had often said things to us they wouldn't get away with today but never ever ever did I ever hear one say the word Gundy said even if he was just reading it. He screwed up big time and its on him. In this day and age you just cannot do that. I don't know whats in the mans heart but it would seem there is not much upstairs for him to do something so stupid.
And no I don't believe him being gone has anything to do with how we are playing. That is the fault of the Coaches and Players.

As Bob S. said a while back everyone just needs to move on from it. I grew up in the 70's and 80's when Coaches I had often said things to us they wouldn't get away with today but never ever ever did I ever hear one say the word Gundy said even if he was just reading it. He screwed up big time and its on him. In this day and age you just cannot do that. I don't know whats in the mans heart but it would seem there is not much upstairs for him to do something so stupid.
And no I don't believe him being gone has anything to do with how we are playing. That is the fault of the Coaches and Players.
Totally agree. Gundy didn’t coach defense, or have much to do with quarterback play or anything else except the receivers. The receivers haven’t been the problem. It’s impossible to catch a football thrown 5 feet over your head, behind or in front of you. Gundy screwed up and got what he deserved. I hate that he did it but there’s no defense for anyone doing what he did in today’s world.

Losing Gundy was huge. Losing him the way we did was more huge. This was not a BV decision. It came from the highest level at the university.

That dynamic put a pall over everything. It will have long term implications, l fear.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT