ADVERTISEMENT

Leave it to Lebby

CT

If that is the case then that is equal to saying they aren’t playing the better QB. Why would you limit your offense if you had ( have ) a guy who fits your offensive goals bettet? I think loyalty ( Lebbys) to DG is why we havn’t seen much of Arnold. Loyalty only goes so far when your bigger goal is to win games.

Go to the KU game, Lebby evidently had no trust in DG to throw medium or deep so why didn’t he do what others do when your QB seems to be struggling. Go to the next guy and see what he can do. Again DG plays with heart but his arm strength has hurt the abilty to hit the big play overall. How many times has the receivers had to come back to those type of throws? In his career at OU he has won 1 big game but otherwise he has been very inconsistent from game to game.

I am going to the game this weekend so I hope DG has another Texas game in him and hope that Lebby actually has his head in the game all 4 QTS. Not sure I have much faith in either one.
Of course Lebby isn’t playing the better QB.
But Gabriel has seniority and at the start of the season was coming off a good showing vs Florida State.
That bowl offense is not this year’s offense, however.
Arnold has been in only four games so far so I’m thinking he may be red shirted barring an injury to Gabriel. Or maybe the closeness of the games have Lebby gun shy to play Arnold.
How can we be certain that OU would have a better record with Arnold? This year’s team is still in transition with over 50 new players on the roster and a defense that still has not risen to the level we all want.

What good does it do to redshirt Arnold? Redshirting is for guys who need the extra year to develop. You hope a redshirt guy spends 4 or 5 years in your program. If Arnold is as good as advertised then he's gone after 3 years, might as well get what you can out of him.
Agree somewhat with you.
But Having only played 4 games, and with three games left to play, it does make me wonder why Arnold is not getting playing time.

Of course Lebby isn’t playing the better QB.
But Gabriel has seniority and at the start of the season was coming off a good showing vs Florida State.
That bowl offense is not this year’s offense, however.
Arnold has been in only four games so far so I’m thinking he may be red shirted barring an injury to Gabriel. Or maybe the closeness of the games have Lebby gun shy to play Arnold.
How can we be certain that OU would have a better record with Arnold? This year’s team is still in transition with over 50 new players on the roster and a defense that still has not risen to the level we all want.
There is no certainty CT. However what I know is Arnold throws a beautiful deep pass and doesnt have to lob it like an artillery shell. At the Tulsa game I attended it was like night and day between the two on passing. So who knows if that would equate to 9-0 vs now 7-2.

There is no certainty CT. However what I know is Arnold throws a beautiful deep pass and doesnt have to lob it like an artillery shell. At the Tulsa game I attended it was like night and day between the two on passing. So who knows if that would equate to 9-0 vs now 7-2.

Arnold reminds me of Jason White, before he blew out his knees.

I want Libby gone more than I wanted Kevin Wilson gone. That’s pretty bad

CT

If that is the case then that is equal to saying they aren’t playing the better QB. Why would you limit your offense if you had ( have ) a guy who fits your offensive goals bettet? I think loyalty ( Lebbys) to DG is why we havn’t seen much of Arnold. Loyalty only goes so far when your bigger goal is to win games.

Go to the KU game, Lebby evidently had no trust in DG to throw medium or deep so why didn’t he do what others do when your QB seems to be struggling. Go to the next guy and see what he can do. Again DG plays with heart but his arm strength has hurt the abilty to hit the big play overall. How many times has the receivers had to come back to those type of throws? In his career at OU he has won 1 big game but otherwise he has been very inconsistent from game to game.

I am going to the game this weekend so I hope DG has another Texas game in him and hope that Lebby actually has his head in the game all 4 QTS. Not sure I have much faith in either one.
That's not necessarily true. There are always some problems with a freshman quarterback. Usually it leads to other problems. If Arnold throws a better deep ball, it's not an indication that he's a better quarterback. But assumptions by those of us who know a lot less than OUr coaches do, don't have to put anything at risk for stating OUr opinions.

My view is simple and complex. I don't think Lebby's history proves a lot. He's been an OC at places where the HC was an offensive stud. Two are head coaches with very good offensive teams in the SEC. How much credit should he have for their success when he was the OC.

But when he stepped in at OU, we had zero reliable quarterbacks. They all transferred when TBOW left or slightly before, unreplaced. They were lucky to find DB, who was a solid quarterback at UCF. He's got his assets. But he a little shorter than optimal. And as an OU quarterback, he's underthrown some important deep balls.

And like there's a question about how much credit Lebby should have for what Old Miss or UCF did when he was OC, there should also be a question about how much responsibility he has for how poor OUr running game is. And we're short of talent at receiver. We've got some achievers and Lebby and Emmett Jones deserve credit for that. Most of us said before the season, that on offense (or defense for that matter), that there was a shortage of difference makers. You can draw all of the great x's and o's that you want, but players make plays or they don't. OUr best RB is a former walkon. OUr best receiver is a former walkon. Those guys are good players. But KU had the two best running back's in the game when we played, and the best athlete at receiver. Same thing at OSU.

OU fans think we always have the best players in the conference everywhere, but it's just no true. Two years from now, when BV has his players, and Lebby has his quarterback that went through a normal recruiting process .... then if we suck, then fire them all, including Bedenbaugh and Murray. But sending them packing before that is premature. We have good people in place. Lebby doesn't deserve all the credit for what his last two schools accomplished. But he deserves some. Same with BV, who may not have been an HC before, but he was a great DC, who patiently waited for his turn.

And we don't suck, despite the tenor of what you hear around here.

That's not necessarily true. There are always some problems with a freshman quarterback. Usually it leads to other problems. If Arnold throws a better deep ball, it's not an indication that he's a better quarterback. But assumptions by those of us who know a lot less than OUr coaches do, don't have to put anything at risk for stating OUr opinions.

My view is simple and complex. I don't think Lebby's history proves a lot. He's been an OC at places where the HC was an offensive stud. Two are head coaches with very good offensive teams in the SEC. How much credit should he have for their success when he was the OC.

But when he stepped in at OU, we had zero reliable quarterbacks. They all transferred when TBOW left or slightly before, unreplaced. They were lucky to find DB, who was a solid quarterback at UCF. He's got his assets. But he a little shorter than optimal. And as an OU quarterback, he's underthrown some important deep balls.

And like there's a question about how much credit Lebby should have for what Old Miss or UCF did when he was OC, there should also be a question about how much responsibility he has for how poor OUr running game is. And we're short of talent at receiver. We've got some achievers and Lebby and Emmett Jones deserve credit for that. Most of us said before the season, that on offense (or defense for that matter), that there was a shortage of difference makers. You can draw all of the great x's and o's that you want, but players make plays or they don't. OUr best RB is a former walkon. OUr best receiver is a former walkon. Those guys are good players. But KU had the two best running back's in the game when we played, and the best athlete at receiver. Same thing at OSU.

OU fans think we always have the best players in the conference everywhere, but it's just no true. Two years from now, when BV has his players, and Lebby has his quarterback that went through a normal recruiting process .... then if we suck, then fire them all, including Bedenbaugh and Murray. But sending them packing before that is premature. We have good people in place. Lebby doesn't deserve all the credit for what his last two schools accomplished. But he deserves some. Same with BV, who may not have been an HC before, but he was a great DC, who patiently waited for his turn.

Lebby's waiting on Jackson. It'll all work out imo.

Fans wanted Kanak to start last season, good thing fans are not in charge. JA just might not be the best QB on the team right now, imagine that. But fans are calling for him to finish the Season as the starter. Craziness. There is a reason why people on message boards are not being paid a Million per yr or millions per yr to be a Coach.

Fans wanted Kanak to start last season, good thing fans are not in charge. JA just might not be the best QB on the team right now, imagine that. But fans are calling for him to finish the Season as the starter. Craziness. There is a reason why people on message boards are not being paid a Million per yr or millions per yr to be a Coach.
67 I am not saying Arnold should start but why not give him some reps in games? The only way we know how good he is would be to give him some meaniful reps in the game. Remember 2 years ago when Williams got his chance he shined but in a few other games he struggled ( IE KU ). When you have a QB that seems to struggling you should give the other guy a chance to see if he can create a spark.

Plaino made some good points also a couple of post above and I understand where he is coming from same as I do with you. If the offense stalls this weekend again, wouldnt you say its time to see what JA can do to help his team win? Stubbornness and loyalty at times can hurt the product and I think Lebbys loyalty to DG is why we as fans havent gotten to really see what JA brings to the table in game time that matters

Last edited:
67 I am not saying Arnold should start but why not give him some reps in games? The only way we know how good he is would be to give him some meaniful reps in the game. Remember 2 years ago when Williams got his chance he shined but in a few other games he struggled ( IE KU ). When you have a QB that seems to struggling you should give the other guy a chance to see if he can create a spark.

Plaino made some good points also a couple of post above and I understand where he is coming from same as I do with you. If the offense stalls this weekend again, wouldnt you say its time to see what JA can do to help his team win? Stubbornness and loyalty at times can hurt the product and I think Lebbys loyalty to DG is why we as fans havent gotten to really see what JA brings to the table in game time that matters

Wasn't talking about anyone here. I am all for JA playing if it is best for the team and I also wished he could have gotten more playing time so far this season.
All I am saying is we don't really know if he is better than DG right now. Short of DG getting hurt and some blowouts down the stretch we won't likely find out.

Wasn't talking about anyone here. I am all for JA playing if it is best for the team and I also wished he could have gotten more playing time so far this season.
All I am saying is we don't really know if he is better than DG right now. Short of DG getting hurt and some blowouts down the stretch we won't likely find out.

The thing is we’ve not been way behind this year so evidently there’s this “Gabriel can bring us back” mentality the coaching staff has for not bringing in Arnold. That wasn’t the case with Riley when Rattler was taken out and replaced by Williams. I can’t remember the game but it didn’t take Riley long to pull the trigger. Very similar to how Saban replaced Hurts with Tagovailoa.

The thing is we’ve not been way behind this year so evidently there’s this “Gabriel can bring us back” mentality the coaching staff has for not bringing in Arnold. That wasn’t the case with Riley when Rattler was taken out and replaced by Williams. I can’t remember the game but it didn’t take Riley long to pull the trigger. Very similar to how Saban replaced Hurts with Tagovailoa.
Oklabama,

He didnt bring in Williams till the Texas game when OU was way behind. I think it was on a 4th and 1 from midfield and he slipped a tackle and went the distance. I am pretty sure that was his first appearance but I may be wrong. All I know is he was a spark as OU overcame the big deficit. He was the starter the rest of the way unless I am mistaken

Last edited:
Oklabama,

He didnt bring in Williams till the Texas game when OU was way behind. I think it was on a 4th and 1 from midfield and he slipped a tackle and went the distance. I am pretty sure that was his first appearance but I may be wrong. All I know is he was a spark as OU overcame the big deficit. He was the starter the test of the way unless I sm mistaken
You’re right. My bad.

Here's something to chew on:
Arch Manning is apparently redshirting at Texas and rumors are flying he may transfer a school like Ole Miss or Ohio State.
I'm wondering if the Texas coaches see him not quite ready (perhaps because of his private school competition in high school). But Sarkasian had to have told him he would be redhirted while recruiting him, wouldn't he?
As for Arnold, I know OU realizes that he is an elite prospect and is on track to be the starter next year, but at the same time, OU has commitments from QB's Michael Hawkins and Brendan Zurbrugg in 2024 and Kevin Sperry in 2025.
Maybe Venables is proactively adding depth at the QB position in case Arnold, for any reason, transfers out....which I seriously doubt he will do regardless of Lebby's situation.....but then there is Gabriel's situation if he decides to come back in 2024 and my guess is he will. OU won't request him to leave.
So Texas could lose Ewers to the NFL and Manning to the transfer portal, while OU could lose Arnold if Gabriel returns and/or Lebby leaves.

Lebby called a good game last night. Think I only saw 2-3 passes at the LOS almost everything was downfield. Zero Jet sweeps that I can remember, and he let DG run the ball. I do wish he would add an RB screen to the playbook.

Lebby needed to run clock out in first half. Pretty much well called game last night. Gabriel had a few pretty bad passes, but his good ones overshadowed those. Welcome back to pass plays Austin Stogner.
Lebby/BV has been criticized for the play calling at the end of the halves in the last two games. DG missed on two passes and then had a false start. I like the fact they were aggressive, just needed better balls from DG. He overthrew Farooq and threw behind Anderson on next play where Farooq was open on a crosser underneath.

Plus the defense needs to get a stop before half, gave up a 4th and 9, there was a questionable PI before the 4th down play and one after. If walker doesnt tip that ball in the I believe Bowman makes the int in the endzone. Either it was a solid win.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Lebby needed to run clock out in first half. Pretty much well called game last night. Gabriel had a few pretty bad passes, but his good ones overshadowed those. Welcome back to pass plays Austin Stogner.
Lebby finally realized he has a TE and DG was so not used to throwing to him that he overthew him once in the back of the endzone when he was wide open and missed him on another. Glad to see Stogner being used, hopefully it continues the rest of the way.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT