ADVERTISEMENT

Kade McIntyre

runningback43

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2002
Here's a story from Huskerland Prep Report on Kade McIntyre.

Football Boon Turns Boomer Sooner: Kade McIntyre, Archbishop Bergan​

State champion, all-stater, future Sooner, it's been a pretty good stretch for Bergan senior Kade McIntyre (7).

State champion, all-stater, future Sooner, it's been a pretty good stretch for Bergan senior Kade McIntyre (7).
Bob Jensen • HuskerlandPreps
Publisher
@HuskerlandBob

In a matter of months the world of Archbishop Bergan’s Kade McIntyre has changed in so many wonderful ways, from becoming a high school state football champion to being the apple of their eye for several Power Five college programs. It’s been a rush, it’s been a blur, it’s been for real.
And it’s been a way for him to keep up what’s turned out to be a family tradition, as he follows in the footsteps of his older brother, his quarterback, Koa McIntyre, who is now a member of the University of Wyoming football program. You have a D-1 quarterback throwing to a D-1 receiver, you’re gonna be good. Especially at the Class C-2 level.
And that was exactly the case last season when the McIntyres were front and center for a Bergan team that might well be the best we’ve ever seen in Class C-2 (gotta admit, 1994 Cambridge crosses my mind while saying that), finishing a perfect 13-0, winning its state title game by 29 points.
“We came into the season feeling we still had something to prove after the way the previous season ended and it was the amazing ride I think we all hoped it would be. Getting to accomplish what we did and to share it with your best friends and brothers made it especially rewarding,” says Kade, who references his previously unbeaten team’s 2020 state final loss to unbeaten Ord. “Our team’s chemistry was so good. We were talented but that bond was so strong, and it really helped make us the best we could be.”
Which was pretty good. Which is also what Kade has basically been all through is athletic career, one which spanned all the youth sports, soccer in particular. In fact it is a soccer story that Koa initially shared in last year’s preview magazine that also made quite an impression on his younger brother. “We were real little when I was real little and was dribbling the ball up the field when Koa came out of nowhere and just trucked a kid,” says Kade, smiling. “He got a yellow (warning) card from the official, and I remember thinking, guess we are more tackle football players.”
A receiver by trade, Kade certainly filled the bill, especially after gaining three inches in height prior to his sophomore season. “Getting taller and getting stronger that year helped me be able to high-point passes, especially since I am a physical person by nature,” says Kade, who is now a strapping 6-foot-4, 205 pounds. “I like catching the ball and scoring touchdowns, but I also really enjoy blocking and pancaking guys. Clearing a path for my running back is sometimes more fun that even catching a touchdown.”
He certainly did a lot of both last year, pancaking guys and catching touchdown passes, finishing his all-state junior season with 37 catches for 873 yards and 14 TDs. Oh, there’s more, as he bottled up the edge for the Bergan defense, notching 63 tackles including 10 for loss and six sacks.
All that on-field success, all that getting bigger and stronger and even more athletic paid some huge dividends earlier this year as a rush of Division I offers came Kade’s way, starting with a couple then finishing with a flourish. When the offer from Oklahoma came - the Sooners are a McIntyre family favorite - it was no-brainer, Kade said yes almost immediately. Left to wonder what could have been were other Power Five schools who offered, Nebraska among them.
At OU Kade figures to become a linebacker, and he also figures to study in the field of business, though that is still a bit up in the air.
“I think what I like most about coaching Kade is that he never settles with good enough. He’s always working to get better. His work ethic and demeanor, on top of his talent, is what provided him the opportunity to go play D-1,” says Bergan head coach Seth Mruz. “Kade has also stayed extremely humble. He hasn’t let anything go to his head. He knows he isn’t any different than the other kids on our team and has to show up to work like everyone else. He’s the type of a guy that all of the freshmen feel comfortable with approaching him and seeking advice or input.
“It’s pretty cool to watch a young person experience that much success and publicity and remain the same down to earth kid. It shows a lot of maturity on his part.”
Born in Fremont, Kade is one of the five “Ks” amongst siblings, including Koa, brother Koby and sisters Kia and Kortney. “It is great to be so close with all your siblings, though mom sorta messes our names up a lot when she’s talking about us,” teases Kade. About Mom, I mean. Kade is also going to keep it low key off the field, as he favors spending time at a buddy’s house with other buddies or simply driving around town, sorting out the world’s problems. When it comes to his favorite food, he’s a hard lean toward sushi.
An outstanding classroom student with a 3.5 GPA, Kade doesn’t compete in a winter sport any more, giving basketball a try his sophomore season after tearing his labrum during his freshman wrestling season. “I guess wrestling is my kryptonite, since it happened in just the second week of the season,” says Kade. “It all worked out, though, because after that I went right to the weight room and gained 20 or 25 pounds of good weight, which certainly made a big difference when football season came around.”
And football season is about to again come around, the last time it will do so during Kade’s high school career. A lot has changed in the past 12 months but he’s the same old Kade, friend to the masses, a mainstay in the Bergan school and community, and somebody with a pretty great head on his teenage shoulders.
“As a senior I want to savor the great relationships I have built with my coaches, teammates and other kids in school. I am lucky to be surrounded by a lot of good people in my life, and to have so many great friends is really a blessing. I’m not sure everybody gets to enjoy that, so I feel lucky that way.”
Like they say, Kade, what goes around comes around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News