ADVERTISEMENT

Jesus....what other sport is more boring that soccer

I like both soccer and rugby. I used to play in some recreational soccer leagues in Norman after I graduated from OU and played until my early 40s. My youngest son played rugby in high school, so we went to all of his games. Still don't know all the rules, but it looks like a game I would have loved to have played when I was 17 or 18.

Although I enjoy playing golf, watching it on TV is a sure-fire way of ensuring a nap will follow. Just something about all that whispering by the announcers makes me sleepy.

Not a fan of gymnastics, swimming, diving, horse racing and equestrian events, auto racing, the X Games, poker and darts.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
Rowing. Curling. Arm wrestling. I can think of several others given a little time.

I actually like World Cup games. There is an excellence. You don't see it in the women's games, but there is still a little tactical stuff going on that I can get a little handle on. Very little, but I can see some of it.

The men's World's Cup is pretty special. It has the best athletes from at least a quarter of the teams in the world.

And I found myself watching enough of the women's games. I mean I've said before that if they're wearing crimson and the jerseys say Sooners or OU or Oklahoma across the front, then I pull for them no matter what the sport. Same thing in international competition when the jerseys are Red, White and Blue and say USA.

I want the women to do well, though I don't think they'll win this. Too much stupidity.

I will say this. There is this majorly stupid commerical I think for AT&T about wanted to see it when the first women pitches in the major leagues. If I live to be 120 I don't think it would ever happen in my lifetime. Or after. When I see that commercial coming I immediately switch channels.

And I don't think the American women could beat a men's high school all star team.

There are many sports that are enjoyable as a participant, but no so much as an observer, IMO. I loved to play baseball and still enjoy golf very much, but I rarely watch either except for the majors and world series. Watching baseball wasn't always that way for me as when I lived in Houston back in the '70's I attended a lot games. Now if the pitcher would throw the baseball and the hitter would stay in the box after every pitch, it might be more tolerable. But the game is way too long and there is too much time between pitches for me to watch it anymore. I see how soccer could be fun to play, but just a little. Looks pretty frustrating to me.

OklaB, I think there are sports like the NBA where the skill and athleticism are so obvious, that it is fun to watch no matter who is playing. And there are some sports where if you have a dog in the hunt, that it makes the difference.

For me, almost any female sports lacks the greatness to watch. But I did watch some of the WCWS this year. I guess pulling against the SEC has given me a reason.

I will also watch some MLB stuff even if it is not the Rangers. But mostly them. But I hardly ever watch the NL only the AL. Maybe just do not like watching pitchers bat.

OklaB, I think there are sports like the NBA where the skill and athleticism are so obvious, that it is fun to watch no matter who is playing. And there are some sports where if you have a dog in the hunt, that it makes the difference.

For me, almost any female sports lacks the greatness to watch. But I did watch some of the WCWS this year. I guess pulling against the SEC has given me a reason.

I will also watch some MLB stuff even if it is not the Rangers. But mostly them. But I hardly ever watch the NL only the AL. Maybe just do not like watching pitchers bat.
Once upon a time I had no interest in women's college basketball. That changed in the 1994-95 season when UConn won its first championship under Auriemma. Since then, I follow the UConn women's team very closely. The women's game is a quality product especially as the athleticism in women's BB has evolved. I regard it as a more pure form of basketball though it certainly does not feature the speed and athleticism of the men's game. That's not an issue for me. I like the passing game to set up open shots and in UConn's case, the relentless perfection and team play. I prefer it to any level of the men's game, especially the NBA, which I find unwatchable.
Women's softball I have come to like as well, especially with OU's recent success. It can't match MLB baseball by any means, but it's entertaining.....and it too, has evolved in recent years.

I'll go on record of being a gymnastics fan. For the record, I am biased as the father of a very talented gymnast. There is no other female sport that focuses on the individual athlete and carries the risks of injury that gymnastics does. Those gals are freakishly strong and fearless to do what they do.

I'll pass on watching soccer, baseball, or golf on TV or in person. I'd rather watch bowling.

Soccer and American football are basically the same, get you best player in space. Hell you say soccer is boring what about OU football at times last year?

But ... but ... what about the OTHER team scoring? That happened a LOT, so there was tons of action. Wasn't than fun?

Seriously, I find soccer excruciatingly dull, but I admit I don't understand the game since it barely existed (in this country) when I was a kid. I would actually prefer watching golf on TV, even though that's as soporific as a movie on Lifetime.

I grew up playing soccer, even before football, and it's still my favorite sport. It boggles my mind how a nation of 300+ million still hasn't won the World Cup. We should be smashing ass on an international level in the sport, but we are so far behind I fear I will never see us advance to the round of 8 in a world cup before I expire.

I hate watching baseball, when they went on strike in the 90s, I did too and will never watch another game again, even in the world series. Occasionally I will watch golf, such as the Masters, but I always fall asleep. Curling, darts, rugby, cricket, roshambo, rodeo, NASCAR, tennis, track and field are all boring to me and I never watch. Rowing I find mildly entertaining especially now that OU has rowing teams, but it's never televised.

In season, I get up early on Saturdays to watch English Premiere football. I love watching it in Vegas and they have a couple of British pubs that open for the games.

For crying out loud, curling is even more exciting. Bring on The Open.

I'm not crazy about any of those "Generation X" type sports, but I have to admit they can do some fantastic things with those skateboards, etc.

daily_gifdump_841_10.gif

Soccer is only boring if you do not understand the game. I used to be the same way, but since I lived in Italy and learned the game there in my 30s, it grew on me and I watch a few hundred games a year now.

Don't watch the women. Watch Copa America, which is going on right now. But, you have to understand tactics and strategy to really get the game.

My biggest problem with soccer is the offside rule. If you don't have the ball, you can't run behind the defender to receive a pass until the ball is in the air. That just flat out smacks of punk-a$$-bytchness (which would probably explain soccer's popularity among millenials). Imagine telling Jerry Rice that he can't utterly burn the safeties until after the ball is thrown.

I seriously doubt that an all-star male highschool team could beat the USA women's national team. I might have believed that at one time. But, I saw a very interesting match at the Highland Park Stadium in Dallas. The Highland Park team had just won the state title, and they were pretty cocky. But, there was a touring group of German students who were studying English in highschool and wanted to tour the US. It was just a literary club with about eight girls and six boys, along with an instructor, about a 35-year-old male. They were not an athletic team. They were a literary club from Munich.

If you live in Germany, you can watch kids with a soccer ball everywhere. They'll walk along keeping the ball in the air with their toes and knees. They'll kick the ball into the air and see how long they can keep it there. Five minutes is not unusual. It is what they do for recreation, other than walking in the forest on trails that are laid out and mapped.

This group of non-athletes simply toyed with the Highland Park team. I lost count when they led about 8-0. The Highland Park boys would be chasing the ball. They were so accurate with their passes that HP almost never got their feet on the ball. A bunch of girls would bring the ball slowly up the field, passing from side to side. They might use fifty passes back and forth to set up what they wanted. Then, they would get it into the middle, and it seemed like there were fifty of them trying to score a goal. HP never really stopped it. When HP had the ball, they cut off the passing and dribbling lanes so effectively that HP hardly ever had more than three touches before losing the ball.

There is more skill than is apparent, as well as an understanding of what to do with the ball.

If you live in Germany, you can watch kids with a soccer ball everywhere. They'll walk along keeping the ball in the air with their toes and knees. They'll kick the ball into the air and see how long they can keep it there. Five minutes is not unusual.

No argument. That is talented. So is juggling 5 balls in the air, but how long do you want to watch someone juggling balls? For me, watching people running up and down a field kicking a ball that rarely gets into the net is boring. That's what I liked about Barry Switzer's teams. They scored a lot of points, ran for a lot of yards, and eliminated the other team from doing the same. Actually, Bob's teams have been even more exciting. Both teams go up and down the field. Sorry, I admit it. I am a boring one sport fan with regard to watching sports. I like college football and much all other team sports blow. I can be criticized for being that way and its doesn't matter. It's okay.

Soccer is like trench warfare. It's not about who makes more plays. It's about who makes fewer mistakes. BTW, those HP guys were probably on the soccer team because they possessed about as much athleticism as the German book club, otherwise they'd have probably been in one of the big 3 sports.

That is a bit misinformed. I had a bit of experience in both, my grade school not having anything other than a soccer ball for recess. It does teach you footwork. I found that ability to change direction instantly to be quite useful in football.

Making the fewest mistakes keeps you from being scored upon. Scoring is probably more of a skill than in football. Generally, it involves getting the ball centered from somewhere else and causing it to change direction instantaneously and under control. Otherwise, it is just another of the great number of misses. As many people as play soccer worldwide, there are probably fewer great goal makers than halfbacks in football who can run the ball in.

They are athletes.

Wish you would remove the name of Jesus from your subject title since I'm sure you did not use the name in reverence. Almost makes me not want to open this message board since it pops up every time I do. Just saying ...

No argument. That is talented. So is juggling 5 balls in the air, but how long do you want to watch someone juggling balls? For me, watching people running up and down a field kicking a ball that rarely gets into the net is boring. That's what I liked about Barry Switzer's teams. They scored a lot of points, ran for a lot of yards, and eliminated the other team from doing the same. Actually, Bob's teams have been even more exciting. Both teams go up and down the field. Sorry, I admit it. I am a boring one sport fan with regard to watching sports. I like college football and much all other team sports blow. I can be criticized for being that way and its doesn't matter. It's okay.
I'm much the same as Oklabama. At 66, the only sports I care about and follow closely are baseball (Yankees, since the early '60's), college football (OU, since the mid-'50's) and women's college basketball (UConn, since 1994-95). I've pretty much circled the wagons and streamlined my sports interest over the past few years. I watch a few minutes each season of pro football and watch the dog and pony show they call the NFL draft for comic relief.....watching Mel Kiper have multiple orgasms while talking about the abilities of Tonsillitis Johnson from Western Tennessee A & M and seeing the fat slobs in the audience cheer and boo each selection. Watching Chris Berman holler his remarks as he seemingly tries to hold in a fart, or worse. Saturday Night Live could have done a great skit on this.
Unless I can get a ticket for the OU-Houston game next year in Houston or the OU game with Army in 2020 at West Point, I may have attended my last game in any sport. In my opinion, the ball parks today have evolved into glorified shopping malls and even Wrigley Field has caved in to being one. Fans are rude. Concessions are too expensive. The music is too loud and sucks. Parking is a pain in the ass. The staged war worshiping rituals are excessive and misguided. People don't attend just to watch a game anymore. When I watch at home I have replays, eatable food, my wife and Beagle with me and a bathroom down the hall.....plus if the game gets out of reach for my team, I can watch something else or go somewhere. And now, when my team loses, I just put it behind me. Life goes on.....even after a 48-14 or 40-6 blow out loss.

When I watch at home I have replays, eatable food, my wife and Beagle with me and a bathroom down the hall.....plus if the game gets out of reach for my team, I can watch something else or go somewhere. And now, when my team loses, I just put it behind me. Life goes on.....even after a 48-14 or 40-6 blow out loss.[/QUOTE]

LOL. The bathroom down the hall is major. Besides, my knees give me fits climbing up those steep stairs.

Making the fewest mistakes keeps you from being scored upon. Scoring is probably more of a skill than in football. Generally, it involves getting the ball centered from somewhere else and causing it to change direction instantaneously and under control. Otherwise, it is just another of the great number of misses. As many people as play soccer worldwide, there are probably fewer great goal makers than halfbacks in football who can run the ball in.

They are athletes.

This essentially makes my point. The key to winning in sports (pre-political-correctness) is to score more points. And the key to scoring points in soccer is for the other team to make mistakes. Also, my point about athleticism was not that soccer players lack it, but rather that in the USA, our best athletes opt for sports other than soccer, which is why USA soccer sucks. However, on the women's side, soccer does tend to attract our best athletes, hence, our success.

When I watch at home I have replays, eatable food, my wife and Beagle with me and a bathroom down the hall.....plus if the game gets out of reach for my team, I can watch something else or go somewhere. And now, when my team loses, I just put it behind me. Life goes on.....even after a 48-14 or 40-6 blow out loss.

LOL. The bathroom down the hall is major. Besides, my knees give me fits climbing up those steep stairs.[/QUOTE]
.....and I can't understand when using public restrooms why so many guys don't wash their hands when they are done.

Last edited:
For crying out loud, curling is even more exciting. Bring on The Open.

Generally, I find all sports that I don't understand boring as hell. Somewhere in the cyberspace, there's a 10 page thread floating around (likely written in some language other than English) about how painfully boring American football is...

"a bunch of obese guys line up, then the whistle blows, and 3 seconds later, they fall down again. How can anyone watch this for 3-4 hours?? I At least in footie, I'm in and out in 105 minutes. Another thing, why do they constantly stop the game? I guess if you were as fat as the Americans, you do need to stop the game and waddle to the fridge every 15 minutes to load up on another gallon of nacho cheese."

Somewhere in Australia, there's a different thread going on about how much tougher Aussie football is than American football. That convo starts and ends with our helmet and pads and how our players are pansies for wearing them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT