ADVERTISEMENT

Is he in over his head?

Larry4681

Walk-on candidate
Sep 27, 2023
We definitely all have our complaints about Lebby but is BV in over his head? Is he just one of those guys that’s a great assistant but not capable of being the head man? The football IQ of the team at times is a head scratcher. Love to hear the input of some of the knowledgeable posters here. Oklabama? Kcstorm? Iasooner? Icon? Bcsoonerfan? Thanks in advance

I’m not an x & o guy but can see we need much more elite players in both sides of the ball

I really like what BV is trying to do, and I'm optimistic that he'll accomplish that. But I am very wary of looking for good guys that are three stars, over true studs that don't fit BV's paradigm. I do know that he has earned the right to be here four years, before anybody starts talking about how fit he is for the job. If we're still dealing with issues of 7-5 teams in the SEC two years from now, then serious questions need to be asked.

But we're still overcoming the dearth of overall talent challenges that TBOW left. He took several of the only real studs he left, and ran off several others. Let's see how we look at the end of next year, with JA running the offense with quality men around him on the offense. We had a five star receiver in this class. We've barely seen him. I can't believe, given what we've been told about his talent, that he couldn't be at least a minor contributor to this offense. If being here in the sprint is a requirement for playing on offense, then that's a bad paradigm

And as many plaudits as we heard about O assistant coaches when we were 7-0, Coach Bedenbaugh and Coach Murray to answer some questions about why our running game is so substandard when a walkon isn't playing.

Is Riley in over his head? He was a great OC who only cares about one side of the ball. No, I do not think BV is in over his head he has been doing coaching thing for a while now. He has seen how its done by some of the best. Offensive play calling has been a headscratcher at times both DG and Lebby have made mistakes. Its hard to replace your All-American linebacker in one game, so yes defense is going to take a step back. Are they missing more tackles now, yes they are but at least they are in the spot to make the tackles. BV does need to do a bette job using his timeouts. Should have tried to score before half time the past two games =, but went to the locker room with timeouts in his pocket.

• Sad
Reactions: iasooner2000
We definitely all have our complaints about Lebby but is BV in over his head? Is he just one of those guys that’s a great assistant but not capable of being the head man? The football IQ of the team at times is a head scratcher. Love to hear the input of some of the knowledgeable posters here. Oklabama? Kcstorm? Iasooner? Icon? Bcsoonerfan? Thanks in advance
Larry,
Venables inherited a program that was diminished by Riley, (his poaching of OU's roster and recruiting), early exits, graduation and transfers.
The resurrection of OU has progressed, but there has been bumps in the road, as I expected there would be.
Of OU's 9 losses these past two years, 7 have been by a touchdown or less, so I don't pull a Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd attitude of where OU is right now. These two "experts" haven't done their research about OU.
Even when OU was 7-0, I couldn't see OU being better than Alabama, Georgia, Florida State, Michigan....or even Washington, Oregon, or LSU. But I was, and still am, optimistic for OU's future.
Not the time for second guessing. OU and Venables need more time.

If this team can win out and finish
10-2 I will be more optimistic about the future and it will be a pretty darn good turnaround from yr one. OU still has a shot at the Big 12 title game so anything can happen but the last 2 weeks would say otherwise. Can they rally the troops and finish strong? We will see. How funny would it be to play Ok State again for the Big 12 title and take away their bragging rights that they have now for the forseeable future.
Stranger things have happened.

Larry,
Venables inherited a program that was diminished by Riley, (his poaching of OU's roster and recruiting), early exits, graduation and transfers.
The resurrection of OU has progressed, but there has been bumps in the road, as I expected there would be.
Of OU's 9 losses these past two years, 7 have been by a touchdown or less, so I don't pull a Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd attitude of where OU is right now. These two "experts" haven't done their research about OU.
Even when OU was 7-0, I couldn't see OU being better than Alabama, Georgia, Florida State, Michigan....or even Washington, Oregon, or LSU. But I was, and still am, optimistic for OU's future.
Not the time for second guessing. OU and Venables need more time.
I absoluely thought we'd be FSU's equal or better. We played them essentially at their place last bowl season, and we're a lot better, or so it seemed at the time. Most people said Texas had the best win of the year, and we beat them on the neutral site, so we were pretty good at that point. For the second straight year, our second half of the season has been pretty much without that improvement we kept hearing would happen.

If this team can win out and finish
10-2 I will be more optimistic about the future and it will be a pretty darn good turnaround from yr one. OU still has a shot at the Big 12 title game so anything can happen but the last 2 weeks would say otherwise. Can they rally the troops and finish strong? We will see. How funny would it be to play Ok State again for the Big 12 title and take away their bragging rights that they have now for the forseeable future.
Stranger things have happened.
I think it's been questionable for the past 4 games.

Don't forget about the scare UCF gave us. Then it took Texas spotting us 14 points and a last minute miracle to beat them. We did just about everything we could to give them that game.

We've really missed Andrel Anthony. Farooq isn't the #1 receiver we all expected. Our running game is a total head scratcher after the success we had last year.

We were rolling at the beginning of the year when we were getting takeaways and rarely turning it over. Now we're missing those takeaways and turning it over like mad. That's bad football for anybody. Really bad football for an offense that can't dig itself out.

Don't forget about the scare UCF gave us. Then it took Texas spotting us 14 points and a last minute miracle to beat them. We did just about everything we could to give them that game.

We've really missed Andrel Anthony. Farooq isn't the #1 receiver we all expected. Our running game is a total head scratcher after the success we had last year.

We were rolling at the beginning of the year when we were getting takeaways and rarely turning it over. Now we're missing those takeaways and turning it over like mad. That's bad football for anybody. Really bad football for an offense that can't dig itself out.

We don't really have any explosive players on the offensive side of the ball, wasn't Drake a walk on and also Walker?
Not much in the RB Stables this yr either, not anything close to Eric Gray and what he could do. Losing Anthony as you mentioned was a bigger loss than most realized at the time, he is sorely missed in an offense that lacks standout players.
Those reasons are why I give Lebby a pass on some of the offenses woes but on the flip side of that maybe he is getting all he can out of these guys that to me anyway that are not all that talented and very average.
I really don't know just speculating.

We don't really have any explosive players on the offensive side of the ball, wasn't Drake a walk on and also Walker?
Not much in the RB Stables this yr either, not anything close to Eric Gray and what he could do. Losing Anthony as you mentioned was a bigger loss than most realized at the time, he is sorely missed in an offense that lacks standout players.
Those reasons are why I give Lebby a pass on some of the offenses woes but on the flip side of that maybe he is getting all he can out of these guys that to me anyway that are not all that talented and very average.
I really don't know just speculating.
What about Anderson or Gibson? They are 6'4, 6'5 and extremely athletic, can you imagine what KU or OSU would give to have those guys?

I absoluely thought we'd be FSU's equal or better. We played them essentially at their place last bowl season, and we're a lot better, or so it seemed at the time. Most people said Texas had the best win of the year, and we beat them on the neutral site, so we were pretty good at that point. For the second straight year, our second half of the season has been pretty much without that improvement we kept hearing would happen.
I did not give OU much chance vs Florida State but Venables prepped his team well. However, too much Lincoln Riley defensive DNA still played a part in the loss.
Really thought OU was ready offensively going into 2023.

Reactions: iasooner2000
What about Anderson or Gibson? They are 6'4, 6'5 and extremely athletic, can you imagine what KU or OSU would give to have those guys?
This is where Lebby is failing, using these guys on dig routes or crossing routes. If they drop it they drop it, if not they are moving the chains and opening up running lanes. All these passes at the LOS are doing nothing but adding to Gabriels comp%. He's not a Heisman candidate any longer open the playbook and let him throw the ball downfield.

Farooq is a terrific number two receiver when someone else is the focus of the defense. But he's a very mediocre number one.

OU has five highly rated WR's in the 2024 haul and a highly rated TE. It won't help now but it looks like a very good WR collection.
But I am wondering why TE's Llewellyn and Helms haven't been used, especially with Stogner not playing to his past level at OU.

OU has five highly rated WR's in the 2024 haul and a highly rated TE. It won't help now but it looks like a very good WR collection.
But I am wondering why TE's Llewellyn and Helms haven't been used, especially with Stogner not playing to his past level at OU.

Yeah, I’ve been very disappointed in Stogner’s play. I really thought he would have pumped up the TE production.

Reactions: 8085sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT