ADVERTISEMENT

How to spice up the Big XII (a bit) without adding teams

Section22Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 8, 2002
Well, it's obvious that we're stuck with 10 teams on this sinking ship of a conference. So maybe this is how to make things more interesting for the regional fans with the remaining seasons.

If the NCAA approves of a 2016 Big XII football championship game with 10 teams, divide the conference up into two sub-conferences. This may look like what the B1G did with their "Lengends" and "Leaders", but it is more than that. There is still a lot of Big 8 pride remaining among our schools. I'm not sure if the SWC schools care about their heritage. But this would bring some of that pride back to Big XII sports, especially Football, at almost no extra cost, no additional schools, and scheduling that would remain essentially unchanged. Just crown an undisputed champion.

We would have a Big 8 vs. SWC championship game that wipes out the tie breaker. Our October RRR with UT would stay the same, but we could meet up with them a second time for all the marbles.

Big 8 Lineage
Oklahoma
Okie State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

Southwest Conference Lineage
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
W. Virginia (I know, I know. They can fill in for Arkie)

You'd have three of the current four premier teams in one division. Texas would never go for it, as they don't want to be, at best, third string every year for the foreseeable future.

OU only has KSU and OSU. And, last year notwithstanding, we'd pretty much rule that division pretty easily.

Are all teams playing each other still? Do all games count toward each divisional championship? Just curious how you envision this to work out. Because if all teams have to play each other, your conference championship will be a rematch game. Is that ok in your scenario?

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Yes Micco. That is what I had in mind. I shared this idea with Berry Tramel, and here was his unedited reply. He has a better idea.

(Start of Berry's reply)

Steve: It's a great idea. I don't know that it works, but it's still an interesting idea.

When the Big 12 first went to 10, and Bill Snyder advocated keeping a title game, I suggested two five-team divisions, with eight-game conference schedules. You'd play everybody but one, which is not so far from the Pac-12 model of playing everybody but two teams. And throwing in the old Big Eight/SWC ties is a nice twist.

I especially would like it if it caused each of the 10 teams to add a quality non-conference game. Alas, that wouldn't happen.

(end)

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I believe the NCAA will drop the 12 team requirement to have a championship game.
Then, I think the B12 will line up #1 and #2 for a rematch.
If they had this division last year, They would have to choose between TCU and Baylor to represent the South.
Just think of the gnashing of teeth if the SWC entrant had gone to a championship game and lost to a B12 inferior team who had no shot at the playoff.
IMO, when they go back to a championship game, the B12, at 10 teams, will pit 1 and 2 in a rematch.

Yes Micco. That is what I had in mind. I shared this idea with Berry Tramel, and here was his unedited reply. He has a better idea.

(Start of Berry's reply)

Steve: It's a great idea. I don't know that it works, but it's still an interesting idea.

When the Big 12 first went to 10, and Bill Snyder advocated keeping a title game, I suggested two five-team divisions, with eight-game conference schedules. You'd play everybody but one, which is not so far from the Pac-12 model of playing everybody but two teams. And throwing in the old Big Eight/SWC ties is a nice twist.

I especially would like it if it caused each of the 10 teams to add a quality non-conference game. Alas, that wouldn't happen.

(end)
*Steve* made Barry reply....http://newsok.com/tramel-would-two-five-team-divisions-work-in-the-big-12/article/5436572

I'm very glad I didn't give him my last name. Ha ha ha.

Tramel makes some great points and much thought went into his reasoning. But sports journalists and sports talk guys (of which he is both) often remind us that they are neutral and do not root for any specific team. And that is for obvious reasons. But I think these same guys eventually forget what it was like to be a die-hard fan.

At the fan level where we are, we do talk about conference pride a lot. I bounced my idea off of a small sampling at work. There were three OU grads, two OSU grads, one KSU and one KU. Every one of them have fond memories of the Big 8. But none of them feel any kind of competition with the old SWC. So perhaps my idea ain't so hot after all. But all of them hate Texas and blame Texas for screwing up a once proud Big 12 Conference. So it's 9 teams vs. UT. ;)

I'm very glad I didn't give him my last name. Ha ha ha.

Tramel makes some great points and much thought went into his reasoning. But sports journalists and sports talk guys (of which he is both) often remind us that they are neutral and do not root for any specific team. And that is for obvious reasons. But I think these same guys eventually forget what it was like to be a die-hard fan.

At the fan level where we are, we do talk about conference pride a lot. I bounced my idea off of a small sampling at work. There were three OU grads, two OSU grads, one KSU and one KU. Every one of them have fond memories of the Big 8. But none of them feel any kind of competition with the old SWC. So perhaps my idea ain't so hot after all. But all of them hate Texas and blame Texas for screwing up a once proud Big 12 Conference. So it's 9 teams vs. UT. ;)
Your name is now Christened as Steve Trammel...ha!...sorry could not help myself. Kind of nice to see that he answered you via an article in the DOK. I personally like your idea of the remains of both conferences being split into separate leagues .Blevins was 2 years ahead of me in school.....Bobby a year... .And then there is Trammel...;)...unless we can add some teams I really like your idea!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT