ADVERTISEMENT

How many will opt out of playing the bowl game

Oklabama

Sooner starter
Aug 10, 2004
Tulsa, OK
I’ve read that Mims has said he will definitely play, but Gray isn’t ready to commit. Does it even make a difference?

Last edited:
I wasn't a big Gray fan last season, but he had impressed me this year. You can tell he worked hard in the off-season. He played every game and ran his ass off. Not sure what happen to Majors, but I agree without Gray it would have been a lot worse. He had 160 yards rushing the other night, that was all within 3 quarters. He didn't have one carry in the 4th quarter. Just like Mims didn't have a single catch in the 2nd half. SMH

Well I'm probably wrong. My wife will tell you that I always am. I guess we will all be following his future and watching his progress as he will most certainly be a early first round pick. My projections are much lower though. No biggie.

Well I'm probably wrong. My wife will tell you that I always am. I guess we will all be following his future and watching his progress as he will most certainly be a early first round pick. My projections are much lower though. No biggie.

No need to pout. It's just the nature of the game and it's not a matter of how good Gray thinks he is or isn't. There are probably 5 or more backs coming out that will be regarded higher than Gray. Maybe even a couple more. But his stock likely won't grow much higher versus the risk of injury in a very low tier bowl. The NFL doesn't value running backs like they once did minus the occasional 'generational' back, and Gray is not that.

As for all the responses, Gray was easily the best offensive player this season, maybe even our best overall. He was invaluable to what success we had and he was routinely making lemonade of lemons, squeezing out extra yards and fighting out first downs.

And truthfully, Barnes, Majors and any others would benefit more from the bowl game snaps preparing for next year.

I for one believe we'll get an exciting heaping helping of Barnes next season and it will be glorious.

I for one believe we'll get an exciting heaping helping of Barnes next season and it will be glorious.

Gotta get that line ready first. Could be replacing 4 of 5 starters. Lebby, like Riley, needs to run the damn ball in the early games and establish the line. But yes, if we can block, Barnes could have a big season. He runs angry.

Gotta get that line ready first. Could be replacing 4 of 5 starters. Lebby, like Riley, needs to run the damn ball in the early games and establish the line. But yes, if we can block, Barnes could have a big season. He runs angry.
What's the story on losing 4 outta 5 OLlinemen? We losing em to the portal or what?

Graduation and draft. Would be huge if Harrison and Matteuer came back.
I get lost in the fine print these days. Nil and all has really turned me off, I just can't keep up with it anymore. These days, what I think most about is my guests and I catching our limit of reds, trout, flounder. The next chapter in my life.

I get lost in the fine print these days. Nil and all has really turned me off, I just can't keep up with it anymore. These days, what I think most about is my guests and I catching our limit of reds, trout, flounder. The next chapter in my life.

Years of eligibility leaves me scratching my head sometimes. Talk of guys listed as RS seniors coming back or hitting the portal.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Gray seemed to want to go 100 mph last year out of the backfield and try to break a big one instead of letting the plays develop. He hasn't done much of that this season that I have seen and is and was a better back this season. Likely from DM working with him on such things and turned out to be a productive transfer.

No need to pout. It's just the nature of the game and it's not a matter of how good Gray thinks he is or isn't. There are probably 5 or more backs coming out that will be regarded higher than Gray. Maybe even a couple more. But his stock likely won't grow much higher versus the risk of injury in a very low tier bowl. The NFL doesn't value running backs like they once did minus the occasional 'generational' back, and Gray is not that.

As for all the responses, Gray was easily the best offensive player this season, maybe even our best overall. He was invaluable to what success we had and he was routinely making lemonade of lemons, squeezing out extra yards and fighting out first downs.

And truthfully, Barnes, Majors and any others would benefit more from the bowl game snaps preparing for next year.
Really, All I said to start this shit show is Gray is not as good as he thinks he is. I know what he did for Oklahoma this year.

Who will replace Gray's output of 1,300 yards next year?
Barnes, Major, Sawchuk, Smothers, Hicks, McCarty?.... that is if Barnes, Sawchuk and Major are still around, and at least two of the three freshmen are capable.
Who will replace receivers Mims (if he leaves early), Farooq (if he doesn't transfer), Stoops, Wease, Willis?
My guess and hope are that a JUCO receiver can come in and a solid receiver through the portal.... unlike last January.

WEase has had a few bright moments but for the most part been a dud imo

Wease got injured right when appeared to be finding his stride. It played a part but he certainly didn't meet expectations. Haselwood, Wease and Bridges make for a cautionary tale about recruiting rankings. You just never know.

If he were to transfer I think it would be wise for him to go to a smaller program with an established offense where he can gain regain some confidence and momentum. If not he might as well stay put with a consecutive season under Lebby. If Mims is done, Wease will have every opportunity to go be the guy.

Yeah had we not had him this season man it would have been a lot worse and thats a scary thought.
We had a shit season anyway. Gabriel is not as good as he thinks he is either. I know, we would of sucked without him, but he ain't much in my opinion. I want real change from the coaches to the players. I don't care how bad it could have been cause as far as I'm concerned, it was that bad with or without.

With wease leaving, that kinda tells me that Mims is returning. We have quality wr on the roster than just need to get in the field. one for ex. is Bryan Darby, he needs to get on the field. As far as RB I can see Megwa getting reps at 6'1 220lbs, I can see and Barnes being like a Mixon and perine.

With wease leaving, that kinda tells me that Mims is returning. We have quality wr on the roster than just need to get in the field. one for ex. is Bryan Darby, he needs to get on the field. As far as RB I can see Megwa getting reps at 6'1 220lbs, I can see and Barnes being like a Mixon and perine.
How do you know if OU has quality receivers available next year? Mims and Farooq need to stay and Freeman will help, but that's not much quality depth right now.
Wease, Stoops and Willis will be gone, and I have not read/heard/seen anything promising about Darby, Gibson, Anderson, Shelton, Hester or West.
Two good newcomers are arriving as it stands now in Brown and Pettaway.
Maybe some players like Bowman may shift to WR.

I'm curious to see what comes of DJ Graham's move to WR. There is talent on the roster. Who steps up if Mims and Farooq depart.

Would really love to see Helms and Llewellyn emerge. Willis was a baller but not a true receiving threat that can create mismatches across the middle. Helms and Gibson are my guess.

I've seen Darby play in person. He's not the fastest, but he can catch. He's caught every pass thrown to him (only 8). Anderson and Gibson are promising freshman. Watched enough of their tape to know they will be good. Gibson had 88 catches for over 1700 yards in two years of varsity football. Anderson, younger brother of Rodney Anderson, played at Katy high school. Katy is a powerhouse in Texas 6A football. The 2 incoming freshman also look solid on film. Not to mention that the two tight ends that are freshman are pretty good pass catchers. All I'm saying there are plenty of guys to throw the ball to next year, just need a really good wr coach to coach them up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT