ADVERTISEMENT

12 Team Playoff Discussion

Soonerborn59

Sooner starter
Aug 16, 2009
So what does everyone think about what we will see in 2024?

Will CCG even really matter if both teams are going to get in the field of 12 anyway? Seems to me outside of seeding purposes it just a game the loser really has nothing to lose outside of getting a top 4 bye.

If the team one roots for isn’t in the 12 team playoff does going to a consolation Bowl even mean anything to the fanbase? I honestly think the way bowls struggle now it will just get worse with attendance.

Don’t get me wrong as I am glad the playoffs are going to 12 teams but I think in the end the bowl tradition will eventually go away. It will be interesting to see if a 2 loss team can win it all. I am still not keen on the committee picking the participating teams as I believe there has to be a better system out there to determine the field.

12 team field will likely be full of Conference Title Game Winners and the Runners Up.
Talking heads will be pushing for at least 4 SEC teams to get in. More teams is good but it also means more ways to get screwed.
I get your gist but the way I see it, those teams that you think might get screwed just might be the ones doing the screwing. Jmho. 😁

So what does everyone think about what we will see in 2024?

Will CCG even really matter if both teams are going to get in the field of 12 anyway? Seems to me outside of seeding purposes it just a game the loser really has nothing to lose outside of getting a top 4 bye.

Winning your conference and getting a first round bye will be significant. Some of these teams will have played 13 games going into the playoffs, and they get an extra week to recover while the lower seeded teams are playing.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Look at OSU this year. If they win the CCG, they'd go to the playoff under a 12 team format. Probably not without it.
Good point but imagine a team that goes into the CCG with say 1 or 2 losses and going in firmly sits in the top 12 and loses. In the meantime a team(s) who didnt even play for the CCG gets in because of that. Wait, never mind we have already seen that with Bama and Ohio State!!

Winning your conference and getting a first round bye will be significant. Some of these teams will have played 13 games going into the playoffs, and they get an extra week to recover while the lower seeded teams are playing.
I would really like to see data on the overal W-L for teams coming off a bye week. When its against evenly matched teams not some not so good team.

I would really like to see data on the overal W-L for teams coming off a bye week. When its against evenly matched teams not some not so good team.

There is no data in college football for one team coming off a bye week after 13 games while the opponent didn't have a bye week, because it hasn't happened before. Common sense would tell you that it should be more important than having a bye week in the middle of the season after four or five games. A lot of teams are pretty banged up at the end of the regular season.

There is no data in college football for one team coming off a bye week after 13 games while the opponent didn't have a bye week, because it hasn't happened before. Common sense would tell you that it should be more important than having a bye week in the middle of the season after four or five games. A lot of teams are pretty banged up at the end of the regular season.

Really? Glad you tried to give me a history lesson on something I already knew about in regard to bye weeks after 13 games. My question had nothing to do with end of season bye weeks so maybe instead of telling me I need common sense you need to learn how to read.

It was a question in regard to how teams fare coming off bye weeks. I know the difference between a mid season bye week and one that has never happened before after 13 games.

Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT