ADVERTISEMENT

How important is it to YOU to keep the B12 together?

12375CAT

Sooner starter
Feb 15, 2012
KU_zpstp4lvjug.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Section22Sooner
OU needs to bolt for the SEC (and yes without okie st, it can be done, i.e., A&M leaving without Texas) Don't see a long term future for the league due to the greed of Texas. It was a huge mistake for OU to not back Nebraska and A&M over Texas before their departure from the Big XII. Those moments were the beginning of the end for the Big XII.

Yeah I was hoping for the Pac-12 or 14 or 16 but now I think maybe the SEC would be acceptable... Or even the Big 10... It's a shame but the Big XII is probably history. I don't think BYU and Cincinnati can hold it together... A pro-active move is likely in order...

Reactions: AbsoluteZer0
Well, o state not a rival really, more like a clingy barnacle on our ship of greatness.

Texas, we'll keep them...they really need us...if for no other reason than to keep them humble.

Damn, this is fun.
I do not see any chance for OU to be in the mix for another national championship where it is now. I believe a move to the PAC12 or SEC is critical to OU's future success. OU needs to play in a conference that its facilities....soon to be enhanced even more...can be proud of. OU has the brand name going for it. Think of how that name would flourish on the recruiting front in the PAC12 or SEC.

In its current form, the Big XII could implode today and I could care less. At this point, I think OU would be better off leaving. And to be honest, what teams could the Big XII even add to increase its validity?

SEC SEC SEC, pull the plug Mr. Boren. Time to expand the Big XII has long passed. There is no one of value left to bring into the league. Texas has brought another league to it's knees (although Boren was a party to it when A&M and Mizzo left).

Big XII champion will always be disadvantaged in selecting 4 teams for the playoffs if all things are equal to the other power conferences (because of their championship games).

Reactions: American Male
Actually, I'd love to see the Big 12 stay intact and possibly add two teams to end all this naysaying, whining, second-guessing and criticism of our conference. I'm not interested in being part of hte sleazy SEC, or having to watch OU play all of it's games on the Left Coast. And I certainly don't want to see the end of the texas and OSU rivalries. We lost a great one with Nebraska and the same goes for texas and A&M. I hate seeing big money interests (mainly the universities themselves, along with ESPN, BCS, etc.) altering the college football landscape.

Schoonerman what teams would you bring in to increase the validity of the conference though? I certainly agree with your points in losing the UT rivalry or moving to the SEC or PAC 12.

I would really like to see something worked out between the Big XII and the ACC to make a super conference that would immediately rival the SEC.

But even if OU and UT end up in different conferences there is the hope they could keep the RRR as a non conference game like it was before the Big XII was born.

Actually, I'd love to see the Big 12 stay intact and possibly add two teams to end all this naysaying, whining, second-guessing and criticism of our conference. I'm not interested in being part of hte sleazy SEC, or having to watch OU play all of it's games on the Left Coast. And I certainly don't want to see the end of the texas and OSU rivalries. We lost a great one with Nebraska and the same goes for texas and A&M. I hate seeing big money interests (mainly the universities themselves, along with ESPN, BCS, etc.) altering the college football landscape.
Schoonerman, I share your dislike of having great rivalries dissolved like the Nebraska-OU, Texas A&M-UT, A&M-OU, etc., but it's all about money now and OU needs to find a way back to the elite in CFB by moving to a better conference and one that has not been...or will not be....ruined by one team as the Big 12 has been.

I like OU in the Big XII. I don't think that OU in the SEC or the PAC 12 is necessarily a good move. We might put a little more cash in the register, but I think we pay big time otherwise. I would prefer that the conference just bite the bullet and bring in two or four more teams. Granted, we missed out on an opportunity a couple of years ago, but no one knows how Louisville to the ACC will work out long term.

I think the biggest issue the conference has at the moment is getting OU and Texas being relevant at the national level again. That would get the conference back to the point where we would be consistently competitive in the four team playoff system. I think the conference TV contracts keep us competitive if we take additional teams.

SEC SEC SEC, pull the plug Mr. Boren. Time to expand the Big XII has long passed. There is no one of value left to bring into the league. Texas has brought another league to it's knees (although Boren was a party to it when A&M and Mizzo left).

Big XII champion will always be disadvantaged in selecting 4 teams for the playoffs if all things are equal to the other power conferences (because of their championship games).

The fall of the SWC was not due to Texas. You may want to look at all the cheating going on in the SWC by A&M and SMU and the departure of Arkansas for the downfall of the SWC.

Zero. It ain't the Big 8 anymore. Don't care about the conference. I'd be OK with the Big 10 or the SEC.
The Pac12/14 would be OK, but after a season of 3-4 late night games, I'd regret it.
Maybe they could have a stipulation that West Coast conference games can't start after 7PM locally.
On the same hand, Eastern games can't start before 3PM locally.
Or simplify it by saying conference games must start between Noon and 8PM of the visiting team's time zone.
Plenty of time on Saturdays to fit this in.

Schoonerman what teams would you bring in to increase the validity of the conference though? I certainly agree with your points in losing the UT rivalry or moving to the SEC or PAC 12.

I would really like to see something worked out between the Big XII and the ACC to make a super conference that would immediately rival the SEC.

But even if OU and UT end up in different conferences there is the hope they could keep the RRR as a non conference game like it was before the Big XII was born.

BillyRay, good question. First, I don't think we'll get anyone from the SEC or ACC to come to the Big 12. Second, in the region there really aren't any big-time programs that would help the B12. I'd say Houston would be about it and if they joined, no one would really notice outside of the Houston area. I'd say Notre Dame and BYU, but the idea of expanding the B12 footprint is not that appealing either. I can imagine the travel costs to Morgantown, South Bend and Provo would be astrnomical.

We're in a tough spot, but I think dissolving the B12 or having OU jump to another conference is not the answer.

Thank God the Bongwhorns never cheated. It must have been awful to be surrounded by those crooks!

I never said that DD. However, we were never received the death penalty (SMU) and were never put on TV/Bowl ban like (A&M). When (at the time) two of the better (A&M being the best team in the SWC) are squashed like that, it can kill a conference. Throw in Texas playing crappy (kind of like right now) and A&M and SMU being some sort of major probation, it killed the SWC. But hey, let's blame it on Texas just because the Aggies said so.

Good lord, I thought you all were smarter than Aggies.

I never said that DD. However, we were never received the death penalty (SMU) and were never put on TV/Bowl ban like (A&M). When (at the time) two of the better (A&M being the best team in the SWC) are squashed like that, it can kill a conference. Throw in Texas playing crappy (kind of like right now) and A&M and SMU being some sort of major probation, it killed the SWC. But hey, let's blame it on Texas just because the Aggies said so.

Good lord, I thought you all were smarter than Aggies.

You haven't figured out yet that the Schlonghorns are the Devil? You are the cause of all problems in every conference! <grin> No really, I do think that though.

That was in the old world. In the new world, A&M is the Devil.

I respect your convictions and your program because without a strong OU and UT, this conference is done. TCU is cool and all...and Baylor I think is more flukish, but those 2 nationally recognized teams either have to get it together or the whole conference is done. Baylor has 6 real fans and TCU would be garbage without Patterson.

No one outside Texas cares about TCU/Baylor...and even in TX only about 9 people really care.

Reactions: GO_HORNS_GO
We were in the SWC with Texas in 1915. Then, we were in the Missouri (1920) Valley, Big Six, Big Seven, Big Eight, and survived quite nicely without being in a conference with Texas until 1996, We played in Dallas every year. We even played Oklahoma A&M all the way up to 1958 when they became the OSU whatever that joined the Big Seven. We don't need to be in a conference with either. We went over seventy years without them.

I wanted OU to leave to go to any conference ten years ago. I don't see a future. When Nebraska left, it was our last real traditional foe in the Big Six that retained our interest after the first quarter in most games. Missouri and Colorado were simply more symptoms of a decrepit conference waiting to die while Texas flourishes with their own TV contract. I don't mind being associated with Kansas or Kansas State, but I want no part of Texas or Baylor. I despise the SEC, but I would go there if they would promise not to take Texas. I saw a story that the Big Ten is looking at Kansas and an ACC team. I'd rather it be us.

Personally I would rather go to the SEC. The SEC has some great football, and it would be fun to see OU in that conference. Personally I could care less if the Big XII stays together or not. The Big XII sat back and watched the Big 10, SEC and the Pac 10 poach schools and now we are in a predicament. I also don't think we can win another National Title being in the Big XII as it sits right now.

Don't really care, but I do want the OU/TX game to continue, I don't give a crap about the OU/OSU game except that when/if we play them, we win, and finally, unlike a few others, I'd prefer the PAC12 for selfish reasons. The away games would have some pretty nice destinations.

For some reason and maybe its just what I think but it seems some OU fans are scared of being in the sec. I know most OU fans and fans outside of the sec loathe it but it really is the best fit for OU out of all the other alternatives. If Misery and the aggies can compete then OU should flourish. OU has the history and the NC's that rival any Big Name sec school, only bama has more. Most people in the South know little to nothing about OU's hjstory and tradition, its high time they learned. I do not want OU to join the Big or the Pac 12. Someone posted that eastcoast travel to games would be too much. Where do you think the West Coast is, in Texas? I wish Boren would step up and get OU out of the Big 10 before it is too late and get is in the sec, screw texas and okie lite, OU needs to think of OU because if texas had the chance to bolt anywhere they would already be gone, same with okie lite. Just my 2 cents.

Geographically , I consider Oklahoma to be more part of the West, more so than the South especially Southeast. But hey, that's just me.

It may take 10 years but at this point it appears that it’s almost a guaranteed that OU will eventually leave the Big 12!

The SEC is probably the most likely landing spot but if the B1G would have us and they are not scared of playing us the B1G is also another possibility.

Many OU fans and major boosters along with OU’s leadership are increasingly dissatisfied with the current Big 12 membership arrangement … Putting a band aid on the wound by adding more TCU’s only slows the bleeding but it doesn’t cure our problem.

For OU it’s only a question time and destination?

A lot of Texas alumns and fans feel the same way about the Big XII. Most would like to see OU and Texas stick together. Some would like like to join the SEC or even the ACC. From the feeling I am getting on several Texas message boards, the order would be OU and Texas to the SEC first, followed by ACC, BIG 10 and last the Pac 10. A few years ago, most wanted Pac but that has really fallen lately.

With it taking 8 schools to leave in order to kill the GOR, here are some things I have heard. Remember, the key is finding a home for 8 teams. OU and Texas along with Tech and OSU to the SEC or ACC. KU, KSU, ISU and WVU to the Big 10 (or WVU to ACC). That leaves the two, religious, private schools to fend for themselves. That get's us all out of the GOR and gets 8 schools to much greener pastures in terms of sports and money. The reason I have Texas Tech and OSU tagging along is I this the legislatures of both states are not going to allow for two of our state schools to be left behind. The same for KU and KSU. Iowa State to the Big 10 would make since with Iowa being in the Big 10 and WVU could either go Big 10 or ACC.

By having OU and Texas together helps keep the rivalry in tact. Going to the SEC (OU, TT, OSU and UT) brings back Texas vs A&M, A&M vs OU, UT vs Ark, TT vs A&M and OU vs MU. It also creates a lot of new, interesting games for the schools. Also, keeps us in with ESPN vs Fox.

ACC would also be a fun conference with some new, interesting match ups. Big 10 too. Pac really does nothing for me along with the time zone issues.

ISU & KSU are out w the Big 10. Neither has the $ value. KSU because of its location, population, tv draw, ISU because the Big 10 already feels like they own Iowa and ISU in the same conf would not increase viewership in a state w the pop of Iowa. Rutgers got in because of the surrounding pop and academics and I think they will be the last one joining that can't carry its own weight, both $ and academic wise. The exception is like a Ne, they had so much appeal athletically, it overcame the academic ?. OU and KS have the best chance of an invite to the Big 10, OU like Nebraska and KS w the academics, tv draw and least the basketball heritage. Jmho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT