ADVERTISEMENT

Holding court with Moser

BPrzybylo

Sooner starter
Nov 20, 2017
OK, all transcribed. Here's the good stuff from the media session with Porter Moser.

Intro/five returning guys?
I think the five guys — CJ, Bijan, Jalen, Jacob and Tanner — those five guys, the fact that they were in the program, it helps so much with the practices. So to have the extended hours going overseas…you’re allowed the 10 practices. That has been, for me, a great part of this whole thing.
Having them demonstrate. Last year they had a 52-year-old coach in me trying to demonstrate the stuff. Now I can at least have Jalen Hill demonstrate some of it. And also, I talk to those guys about leadership. Leadership is a transfer of belief. Those guys have got to transfer that belief to the new guys. Like hey, all this little stuff matters in our team defense. All this matters. Everything we do in practice matters. And that’s a transfer of belief. Last year, it was hard to have a leader because everybody was new. Now we’re trying to have these five guys step up and be leaders this summer. I think they’ve really embraced it.

I ask about Grant Sherfield/Joe Bamisile?
Grant got his. Grant got his last week. Grant’s fully eligible. Joe? We’re waiting to hear.

I ask does that change Joe's status for Europe?
No, (Joe) can play regardless.

Waivers might just go away entirely?
We went down the road with them knowing they had to get the waiver because we felt pretty good about the case they had to get the waiver. And then I did hear the same rumors coming out about no waivers, you can second or third time transfer. It’s going to open up a can of worms. I felt good about our guy’s waivers because of the specific cases those two had and that’s why we went down that road. We felt pretty good. But yeah, it’s a whole other can of worms of where college basketball’s at with that. We’ll see if that actually comes to light.

There is no offseason?
I was just talking about this on the road. Normally, April, May and June is a time to decompress after the season. You might have to fill a couple holes. Sign one or two guys. Last year, my April consisted of signing 10 and hiring a whole staff. This year, I had eight open spots and I had three open coaching spots. It’s a different kind of pressure thinking I’ve got to get ¾ of a team in the spring. A lot of coaches are fearing that this might be the new normal in the spring. I’ve been coaching 30-something years. These last two springs with the transfer portal have been, by far, the most crazy, hectic, April May and June I’ve ever had in 30 years of coaching.

I ask about Brady/Humphrey?
I hired Matt Brady. Longtime veteran coach. Outstanding on court coach. Grinder recruiter. Been a head coach. Taken a team to the NCAA tournament. I love that he’s been a head coach. His last stints were at Maryland. He’s been at the high level and in those circles. I just think with the transfer portal, too…the portal is not regional. It’s good to have people from different regions that know guys in the transfer portal. But he’s an outstanding on-floor coach.
And then Ryan Humphrey. He’s from Oklahoma. Loves the state. You obviously want to recruit the state. For Hump, he’s been at Notre Dame with Mike Brey. Been at a high level. Like he says, he can tell a recruit I’ve been at every level you want to be at. I’ve been a McDonald’s All-American. I’ve been an NBA Draft pick. Been in the NBA. Been overseas. Lot of experience that he’s bringing to the floor and I love the fact that he’s from Oklahoma.

I ask about the connection to Brady/Humphrey?
I’ve known Matt a long time through the profession. He was a guy I’d see on the road and next thing you’d know we’d be watching an AAU game together and we’re talking ball. So I’ve known him.
I got to know coach Humphrey through a mutual… my former college coach Tony Barone. Ryan played for him at Memphis. I remember seeing Ryan at coach Barone’s funeral and wake. And then we kind of stayed in touch on the road. I remember my son, Ben, I think as a 6th or 7th grader went to Notre Dame camp. And Hump sent me a picture with him and my son as like a sixth grader. And then when Hump was coming after the job, he sent me that same picture. He saved that picture. As everyone from Oklahoma that knows Ryan, he’s just a first-class human being. I think he’s going to bring a lot to our staff.

Returning dudes better yr later?
Tanner came from Eastern Washington so there were a lot of questions about him jumping up to the Big 12, the No. 1 conference. Tanner averaged double figures. I thought he had a great jump. Tanner played at 228 last year. Yesterday he was 244. He’s gotten bigger. I’m not so sure Jacob hasn’t grown taller than him. Jacob Groves has grown, a full and legit 6-9.
Jalen Hill – his body, the amount of time spent on nutrition and diet. His body looks so much better, looks sculpted. He’s done a great job.
Same with C.J. Noland and Bijan. I talked to our current freshmen. Bijan and C.J. with a year under their belt, they know what to expect. That’s the thing about all freshmen is they don’t know what to expect. They don’t know what college practices are like, college games are like. Once you have a year, and I can see the degree of dedication in the summertime with Bijan and C.J. is at a way higher level. They’ve come back in better shape physically and mentally. And mentally, to be honest with you. As freshman, you just don’t know, really. Now they know. Those two have noticeably come back physically and mentally better.

Tell us about the new guys?
Our newcomers are doing really well. The competition in practice is a lot higher. Grant is elite off ball screens. The thing about it is he gives you a scoring threat from the point, but he also gives you – he was like fourth or fifth in the country in assists. He can do both. Elite at reads with defense. Really creates some offense off ball screens. Joe Bamisile – athletic scorer than can put the ball in the hole. He can knock down threes, can slash. He gives you an older guy who knows how to score. He averaged 16 points in the A-10.
We have two injuries who have not played yet. Benny Schroeder has not played yet, recovering from a meniscus. Yaya has also been out with a meniscus. Both of them should be back in a month or so. They are not going to play in Europe. We do have an open scholarship right now so we have 10 scholarship players. Sam Godwin has done really good right now, too. He’s been a preferred walk-on. I really like what he’s given to the team. Experienced, strong, mobile. He’s 6-9. He’s getting a lot of reps in practice.
The two freshmen who are here at practice are Milos Uzan. He’s terrific, really like him. He’s a taller point guard, has a great feel. He can really pass. Can get downhill and spray (?) the ball. Otega Oweh does not have a freshman body if you look at him. He has a college-built body right now. Really athletic, goes downhill, very strong. He gives us some increased athleticism.
Then Luke Northweather. Every day he’s getting better. He’s 6-10 ½, can really shoot it and stretch it. He's playing against Tanner every single day, getting every single rep. his confidence is growing every single day. We’ll welcome those two guys who are injured when they get back here after the trip and get to school. They’ll probably be ready to go in September. They’ll have some catching up to do. The newcomers are giving us a great addition to what we’re doing.

Going to Europe is pretty cool, huh?
A lot of things. One, the cultural aspect of it to be able to go over there and see a different culture. You never know. I did a trip when I was in college, went to Italy. My former teammates still talk about it. It’s just a different cultural experience some of the things we’re going to do when we’re over there. We’re going to go to Normandy. I can’t wait to do that and talk to them about that.
Two, you have to become closer. You travel overseas and spend 10 days together, to get to know each other better and get closer as a team. I think that’s going to be great. To see where you’re at and play three games over there. I really don’t know the competition. It’s always hit or miss. I’ve had some games where we’ve blown teams out and some where we’ve gotten drilled. You really don’t know until you get there. They’re still games. With so many new guys and veterans, a chance to get a feel of where you’re at. A trip like this there are so many benefits. The practice, games, cultural, the team bonding. All those things added up, it’s going to be a great experience for us.

Most excited about?
Just the history of it. I remember Bob Stoops was just over there. I saw him about 6-7 weeks ago, and he said he went. I told him we were going there, he’s like, are you planning on going there? I’m like, we’re still debating. He’s like, you gotta do it. It hit me. It’s only a 3-hour drive. So we got it on the itinerary. I think that’s going to be a powerful visit.
I’ve been to Barcelona with a team before, took a Loyola team to Barcelona. To go into the Olympic Stadium where the Dream Team with Jordan was there, we’re going to be going there. La Sagrada Familia is probably the most spectacular church I’ve ever been into. So we’ve got some fun things planned, some things they might not ever get an experience to do. That being a college player, being at a place like this, can expose them to is just great for them.

I ask about Emanuel Dildy holding down the fort?
I don’t know what I would have done without Coach Dildy. He’s been with me and when we lost DP and KT, we were on the road. Clayton Custer got on the road. He did a great job, and he’s gonna be a rockstar. But E – it’s amazing how many people call you for a job. And everyone knows how close E and I are. He got bombarded with people trying to get to me in terms of hiring. And then the recruiting. We had to sign so many guys. It was every day. E was unbelievable. I don’t know if I could have done this spring without Emanuel Dildy.

13th spot?
You never know, never know. Trust me. Every day we’re looking, never know. Whether it’s overseas or someone late came into the portal through graduation. Always, every day, thinking. I’m not going to waste it. if something arises that I think will benefit our program, we’ll use it.

I bungle a Q about how much easier the LIVE evaluation period was since Moser has a year under his belt that Moser interprets wrong, but then veers into roster management? I butchered this one so here is the only relevant part, d'oh.
It’s different in how many you think are going to sign early. There’s not an urgency, I think. You know you’re gonna have some from the portal. You want to sign a couple. There’s not as much urgency because you don’t know how many scholarships you have anymore. You have to prepare as if you have some, but you don’t really know.

And two mega-official visits this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News