ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkins isn’t ready and looks like a freshman.

MOJO_ERASER

Walk-on candidate
Silver Member
Jun 21, 2023
Imo Booty was the number 2 qb . Hawkins is lightning fast but his mind is going to fast right now and he’s trying to win the game by himself . Over time it will slow down for him but he isn’t close to the thrower Arnold is . I wanted to say this early on when everyone was raving about him In practice videos. He may not of had the 1st team OL and wrs when he was on the field either so I don’t wanna beat him down that much but for anyone thinking he was going to push for qb1 this year or next , that’s a pipe dream at this point . Booty looked impressive in limited time . If Casey Thompson can’t go next year then Booty has a real shot at qb2

Reactions: ricker405
Hawkins was playing with the second team offensive line, which was overwhelmed for most of the game. He was harassed almost every play before he could even set up in the pocket. Venables mentioned this in his post-game press conference. Arnold played with the first team offensive line and they actually did a good job for the most part.

Imo Booty was the number 2 qb . Hawkins is lightning fast but his mind is going to fast right now and he’s trying to win the game by himself . Over time it will slow down for him but he isn’t close to the thrower Arnold is . I wanted to say this early on when everyone was raving about him In practice videos. He may not of had the 1st team OL and wrs when he was on the field either so I don’t wanna beat him down that much but for anyone thinking he was going to push for qb1 this year or next , that’s a pipe dream at this point . Booty looked impressive in limited time . If Casey Thompson can’t go next year then Booty has a real shot at qb2
Hawkins on his first series looked awesome. The rest of the game he was playing with the depleted 2nd team oline against the 1s on defense. He had no time to do anything. Booty was playing against 3s all day. Context bro

Hawkins was one of the top QBs coming out of Texas last year.
Way too early to speculate on his future especially with OU stockpiling QBs in the 2024 and 2025 classes with Booty and Arnold as a redshirt freshman with only one game as a starting QB.
With or without Arnold my hope is that the cream will rise to the top on the QB depth chart and provide OU with anther franchise QB.

I remember in the spring of 1973, when we had SEVEN freshmen quarterback from 71, and most Sooner fans were asking who's Steve Davis. In 72 Freshman Kerry Jackson had won the backup job to Dave Robertson.

Then it hit the fan, and somehow, Davis' mechanics and leadership made him the projected starter for the fall of 73.

That turned out all right. Before Jackson's high school transcript demise, no one thought Steve could lead a soph dominated offense. I don't know if Hawkins could hold up as a starter if Jackson Arnold got hurt. But l do think he's talented enough to spot play for speed on running downs. He does lack experience. But then he ought to be preparing for his senior prom.

He'll learn more this summer.

I remember in the spring of 1973, when we had SEVEN freshmen quarterback from 71, and most Sooner fans were asking who's Steve Davis. In 72 Freshman Kerry Jackson had won the backup job to Dave Robertson.

Then it hit the fan, and somehow, Davis' mechanics and leadership made him the projected starter for the fall of 73.

That turned out all right. Before Jackson's high school transcript demise, no one thought Steve could lead a soph dominated offense. I don't know if Hawkins could hold up as a starter if Jackson Arnold got hurt. But l do think he's talented enough to spot play for speed on running downs. He does lack experience. But then he ought to be preparing for his senior prom.

He'll learn more this summer.
Davis excellent from the word go !!

Davis excellent from the word go !!
Not really. The 1973 season was his third at OU. He was on the last freshman team, and there were six other rookie quarterbacks. He wasn't bad, but others were considered better prospects. Then his first sophomore year, when he redshirted, he was never higher than fourth on the depth chart. Robertson, in my class graduated. Two freshmen, the first year in more than two decades to be able to play on the varsity, were considered much better prospects. One, Scott Hill didn't look bad in the wishbone, but hurt his throwing shoulder, and didn't stay in school. He enrolled the second semester and switched to defense. He'd been the highest rated quarterback in Texas, number one in Texas Football Magazine's Super Team. OU liked Kerry Jackson at least as much. And it was he, who ended up being Robertson's backup in 72. There was one soph in Davis' class who split time with him on the Boomers, but decided to go elsewhere by the spring of 1973. The fall would be Steve's third season in Norman.

So excellent from the word go, is only true if you consider "the word go" to include his third season.

Not really. The 1973 season was his third at OU. He was on the last freshman team, and there were six other rookie quarterbacks. He wasn't bad, but others were considered better prospects. Then his first sophomore year, when he redshirted, he was never higher than fourth on the depth chart. Robertson, in my class graduated. Two freshmen, the first year in more than two decades to be able to play on the varsity, were considered much better prospects. One, Scott Hill didn't look bad in the wishbone, but hurt his throwing shoulder, and didn't stay in school. He enrolled the second semester and switched to defense. He'd been the highest rated quarterback in Texas, number one in Texas Football Magazine's Super Team. OU liked Kerry Jackson at least as much. And it was he, who ended up being Robertson's backup in 72. There was one soph in Davis' class who split time with him on the Boomers, but decided to go elsewhere by the spring of 1973. The fall would be Steve's third season in Norman.

So excellent from the word go, is only true if you consider "the word go" to include his third season.
From “the go” meant from 1973 when he started against Baylor.

I was at that Baylor game in Waco. It was Barry's first game as HC, and there were lots of questions going into the season, because we'd graduated so many seniors from '72. Eddie Foster was in OUr class, but because he'd redshirted. he was a senior in '73. He was kind of the elder statesman. John Rausch had also started the year before. Tim Welch had been a backup fullback for two years in the wishbone, but played a lot behind Leon Crosswhite. Two new fullbacks came from other places, and Welch ended up playing the "other halfback" to Joe Washington.

The defense had three Selmon brothers, although LeeRoy didn't play until game four, dealing with the paracarditis that was a factor the rest of his life. As I remember, it was 35-0 at the half, and though I remember little of the play details, and Barry called off the dogs in the second half, we won 42-14. We knew we had a chance to be pretty good. Only the 7-7 die at SC, where we outplayed the Trojans, only got a tie, was the only non win of the '73 and '74 season. The real start was '71, but it was the beginning of the second OU dynasty.

So if that was indeed the get go, Steve absolutely was terrific from game one of '73.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT