ADVERTISEMENT

Has this been posted already?

The only people who have a grip on it are boosters, agents and dont kid yourself the schools themselves. “Come play for me and someone will write the check right now”
And some schools are far smarter in their use of NIL. Throwing money around may not be the best approach. Texas A&M is displaying this trend.

Oklahoma went 6-6 in their first taste of college football without Riley this season. They made a laughably irrelevant bowl game: The Cheez-It Bowl. It somehow got worse on Thursday, however, when they lost the Cheez-It Bowl.

The only thing more embarrassing than playing in the Cheez-It Bowl is to then lose it and drop to below .500 for the first time since 1998. It's safe to say that Riley is incredibly elite at this coaching thing. His old program dropped from 11-2 with him last year (in his worst year with the program) to 6-7 as soon as he left for the better job in Los Angeles.

• Angry
Reactions: iasooner2000
Oklahoma went 6-6 in their first taste of college football without Riley this season. They made a laughably irrelevant bowl game: The Cheez-It Bowl. It somehow got worse on Thursday, however, when they lost the Cheez-It Bowl.

The only thing more embarrassing than playing in the Cheez-It Bowl is to then lose it and drop to below .500 for the first time since 1998. It's safe to say that Riley is incredibly elite at this coaching thing. His old program dropped from 11-2 with him last year (in his worst year with the program) to 6-7 as soon as he left for the better job in Los Angeles.

Just imagine how bad it would have been if he had poached our starting QB and other players.

And his brother is going to Coach in a National Title Game, something TBOW will never do. 🤣🤣

lol and you think that is all attributed to Riley being such an insanely good coach? Has a lot more to do with the heisman trophy qb leaving at the last minute along with maybe our best receiver. Not to mention many other important players that left early for the draft. Riley is a good coach, but could he have done much better with this exact same group of guys? Probably not much.

Opinions differ on Riley's ability, but one thing is certain. The team he coached last year went from 11-2 to 6-7, and the team he took over went from 4-8 to 11-2 (with the Cotton Bowl pending). To some, I suppose that's just a huge coincidence.

Opinions differ on Riley's ability, but one thing is certain. The team he coached last year went from 11-2 to 6-7, and the team he took over went from 4-8 to 11-2 (with the Cotton Bowl pending). To some, I suppose that's just a huge coincidence.

It's all about the head coach? Losing so many key players, playing so many newcomers and injuries had little to do with it?

The 2022 Sooners are a total of 19 points from being an 11-2 team.
KSU - OU lost by 7
Baylor - 3
WVU -3
TT -3
FSU -3

Yeah, yeah, You'll ask how much they lost to Texas and TCU (now playing for the national title). I'll ask, how much did USC lose to Utah?

OU ended up 6-7. That's final, it's official and will go down in the records book. But 19 points. Your post is hyperbole.

Off topic question: I'm curious. Why the Frank Solich avatar on the Husker board? Nothing wrong with asking.

Last edited:
11-2 could have easily been 7-6 if not for Caleb Williams. Riley has had the luxury of having elite talent at the QB position. If Williams stays at OU, I am pretty sure OU isnt 6-7 on the year.

11-2 could have easily been 7-6 if not for Caleb Williams. Riley has had the luxury of having elite talent at the QB position. If Williams stays at OU, I am pretty sure OU isnt 6-7 on the year.
This right here. Even USC fans know Williams was the difference maker for them this season.

Totally agree. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college football. Caleb Williams was committed to Lincoln Riley, not to Oklahoma or USC. If Riley was coaching at Maryland, Williams would be there right now.

well those 2 teams were completely different than they were a year ago. He didn't take the same USC team of last season and make THAT team go 11 - 2. Same goes for OU. Is he great at using the portal and NIL? Yes he certainly seems to be

lol and you think that is all attributed to Riley being such an insanely good coach? Has a lot more to do with the heisman trophy qb leaving at the last minute along with maybe our best receiver. Not to mention many other important players that left early for the draft. Riley is a good coach, but could he have done much better with this exact same group of guys? Probably not much.
It was a quote from the article I linked. Not my words.

well those 2 teams were completely different than they were a year ago.

Yes, I don't think anyone would disagree with that. Why is USC completely different than they were a year ago, and who is primarily responsible for making that happen? And before everyone says Caleb Williams, why is Caleb Williams at USC?

TBOW is a great quarterback recruiter and a terrific quarterback coach. That was the difference last year for OU and this year for USC. Last year he almost lost to a mediocre at best Tulane team at home. This year. he lost on a neutral site to a good Tulane team with a Heisman quarterback.
He's had four quarterbacks in the top two in the Heisman voting. Five in the top five. Three winners. The guy can coach quarterbacks.

But as a head coach, he screws up a lot of little things. Great hc's master the little things. Riley's opponents seem to be better at that more than half the time.

TBOW is a great quarterback recruiter and a terrific quarterback coach. That was the difference last year for OU and this year for USC. Last year he almost lost to a mediocre at best Tulane team at home. This year. he lost on a neutral site to a good Tulane team with a Heisman quarterback.
He's had four quarterbacks in the top two in the Heisman voting. Five in the top five. Three winners. The guy can coach quarterbacks.

But as a head coach, he screws up a lot of little things. Great hc's master the little things. Riley's opponents seem to be better at that more than half the time.
Can we equate tbow to kiffin? A coupla guys who just can't get the job done? Because that's how I see it. A coupla guys who'll never git it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT