ADVERTISEMENT

Has the bender worn off?

mecornel

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2001
New York, NY
Look folks - the cuppboard is bare. All this "we should have hired" talk is nonsense. Guys who actually played the game on the field - few of whom even played for Venables, are consistently saying the same thing. It's not because they are closing ranks around Coach V - it's because they know what they are seeing out there. Guys being put in positions to make plays, and not making them.

When guys are in position to make plays, and they make them - that's called ability. And right now ability is not in very long supply around here. There is no fix for that but time. Guys are not going to get but so much better, we're going to have to get better guys. And that's not a one recruiting class deal. Yeah, better play at the QB position would cover a lot of deficiencies - but that's EXACTLY what we experienced for the past few seasons.

I don't exaggerate when I say Vince Lombardi couldn't do much better with this. Nick Saban didn't forget how to coach this season, but you see the difference that not having elite talent all over the place makes this season. But again, they have a great QB and that can get you over the hump on a lot of days - but not to the championship.

Texas has a much deeper roster than we do. They know it, and we know it. So does Texas A&M. Neither one have first year coaches - This is year 2 for Sark and year FIVE for Jimbo. That means EVERY player on Texas A&M's roster was recruited by him, and a significantly greater number of the players on Texas roster were recruited by Sark. And look what they have to show for it.

Stop asking "why they haven't gotten better over the season" - because the answer is - this is the level of talent we have. Go back to being in Math class as a kid. Did every kid in the class pick it up as fast? No. The Teacher said the same thing to everybody - but some don't ever catch it, and some catch it quick. Same sh** with football. We got more of the slow kids for now. So that means you get inconsistent play, more mistakes, etc.

So yeah, we may not make a bowl this season. Get over it and lose notion of "embarassment" or "disgrace", as if you're owed something. This is years of recruiting misses and other things coming home to roost. Dan Lanning or <<pick the guy>> would not have fared any better HERE with this talent. I don't know what is going to happen - but I do know that talent matters, and we don't have it in spades. I also know from being AT OU in the 1990s the difference between a team lacking talent, and a PROGRAM in chaos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News