ADVERTISEMENT

Going to New York with the family, advice on what to do/see?

Got Rings?

Walk-on candidate
Jul 31, 2010
I'm going to NY soon with the wife and 19 year old daughter. None of us have ever been so any advice on what is a must see etc. We are staying right on Times square and have already have 3 different show tickets (Wicked, Neverland and Stomp). My must see is the new 9/11 Memorial. My daughter wants to see Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I think I have them talked into going to a Yankee game one afternoon. Of course, they want to shop some.

Is there anything out of the "normal" tourists stuff that we should check out?

Do you feel pretty safe walking around at night where the Broadway shows are, Times square etc.? I sure wish I could bring my concealed carry while there:)

Anything a tourist should watch out for; cons etc.?

First, wear your most comfortable walking shoes.
Metropolitan Museum of Art....plan to spend at least 3-4 hours....and the recommended admission is whatever you wish to donate to enter. There is a restaurant there as well. One of the best museums in the world.
The aircraft carrier "Intrepid" with the space shuttle on its deck. It's a WWII carrier that was modernized in the early 1950's. During the war, it survived two separate Kamikaze attacks which cost the lives of 18 sailors. Lots of vintage aircraft on its deck.
Little Italy for lunch or dinner.
Wall Street and the financial district.
Radio City Music Hall.
South Street Seaport Mall under the Brooklyn Bridge....complete with a Yankees Store.
Tale the 90 minute cruise half way around Manhattan....it leaves by the Intrepid carrier, goes past the Statue of Liberty, turns north up the East River, then turns around after passing under the Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg bridges and returns to its pier by the Intrepid. Or you can take the 3 hour cruise completely around Manhattan.
You can stay at a hotel on the Jersey side of the Hudson which gives you a view of the NYC skyline and you can take a ten minute ferry across the Hudson to get into the city.
9/11 Memorial....there are two waterfalls that surround the "prints" of where the two twin towers stood, with the names of all the victims. Some of the names of women killed there include the words, "with unborn child". I knew one of the victims. And please....remove your hat and speak softly, even if you're the only one to do so.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Peter Lugers before 3pm. Best cheeseburger in the country. Cash only unless you're fortunate enough to have one of the few Luger's charge cards.

I'm going to NY soon with the wife and 19 year old daughter. None of us have ever been so any advice on what is a must see etc. We are staying right on Times square and have already have 3 different show tickets (Wicked, Neverland and Stomp). My must see is the new 9/11 Memorial. My daughter wants to see Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I think I have them talked into going to a Yankee game one afternoon. Of course, they want to shop some.

Is there anything out of the "normal" tourists stuff that we should check out?

Do you feel pretty safe walking around at night where the Broadway shows are, Times square etc.? I sure wish I could bring my concealed carry while there:)

Anything a tourist should watch out for; cons etc.?

The Statue of Liberty was very good as was Ellis Island. If you elect to get on any of the late night shows, you need to know that they do not shoot on Fridays. They shoot twice on Thursdays.

My daughter is a lawyer in NYC and went to NYU undergraduate. An out-of-towner gets around more than she does while working. But, my experience in Boston and NYC tell me the same thing. You have heard of the tourist sites. What you can't get in the southwest is NYC or Boston food. An Italian sub is not to be had in Dallas, and it is a delight. Deli food is very delicious and very different. The number of delis is declining. They do Italian better. The bakeries have some interesting things you don't see in DFW. They know what seafood is, but they are better as sandwich shops. Even a hot dog from a vender can be a treat.

They walk everywhere, but just to bus or subway stops. Sitting down can be difficult. The Bronx Zoo is worth a visit. Helicopters can take you to the Hamptons for the day.

Reactions: WhyNotaSooner
Here me now, thank me later - all pretty much in/around the East Village. You're welcome in advance.
1. S'Mac (OUTSTANDING mac n cheese)
2. Mark (sliders and a Guinness milkshake)
3. Luzzo's (pizza)

Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty are cool things to see, but they eat up a LOT of time. Hit grand central station, walk up Madison Ave to Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Observation Deck). The Met - grab lunch at a vendor or food truck and take a stroll through Central Park. 9/11 Memorial is a must - walk down by the bronze Charging Bull statue on Wall Street when you're down there. Take a stroll through China town and soak up all the smells. Buy a knockoff of something. Eat something there, or walk up to Little Italy and grab a bite.

If it's your first time, try stringing 3-4 things together. Hit the Met and Central Park. Hit Grand Central, do some shopping on Madison Ave while walking to The Rock observation deck, then walk through Times Square (don't be afraid to skip TS).

Anymore I typically plan my visits around food/drink and walking around. Great people watching. Always an interesting character to strike up a conversation with.

I just returned from NYC last week. Lots of construction in Times Square area. Extremely comgested with people and traffic. Took us 30-45 minutes in a cab to go from Penn Station to Times Square (about 12-14 blocks. Took Super Shuttle to LaGuardia and it took over 2 hours, Plus it was 45 minutes late to pick us up.

Wear old walking shoes, the streets are pretty filthy around Times Square. I am an older guy and I found the theaters had way too much gutter language for me. Tell your Wife and Daughter there is really no need to dress up. People wear most anything to the theater etc. Also, it has been raining a lot on the East coast, so go prepared. There are so many people at all hours that you feel safe on the streets. However, I have been to NYC several times and it is different since the last time I was there when Guilani was Mayor. He had cleaned up the City and there were very few if any street people, now they are most everywhere and the smell of urine is prevalent some places.. Reports on the news were complaining how the City had slipped back to its old ways.

Food is very expensive as is everything really. The boat tour around Manhattan is pretty neat. Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty are time consuming but a must see. Wall Street is interresting. and so is Grand Central Station and Central Park. The Park is huge, so lots of walking..

I am not a musuem person or art critic, so we skipped those. There are lots of things to do and makes for an enjoyable trip.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I will definitely take a lot of this advice when we go. Very helpful and informative. If the food is as good or better than Chicago then I will be in trouble. I was in Chicago a few years ago on a business trip and I gained 7 lbs. no joke, 7 lbs that week and I worked out almost every morning or I would have gained 15!

My wife and daughter like to hunt for bargains when clothes shopping ( yes I'm thankful for that:) ) I know this may not be possible in Manhattan area but is there a place maybe like Chinatown that there would be some bargains. The only souvenir I want is a new Yankee hat!

Thanks everyone!

Boomer!

My wife and daughter like to hunt for bargains when clothes shopping ( yes I'm thankful for that:) ) I know this may not be possible in Manhattan area but is there a place maybe like Chinatown that there would be some bargains. The only souvenir I want is a new Yankee hat!
That would be your Canal Street shopping experience. And I'm here to tell you it's an experience!!!! Don't be afraid to go behind the hidden doors....seriously. Gotta get the Yankees stuff for sure!!!

I grew up in New York and live in the city now. Times Square is a solid place to stay for people who have never been to NYC. It's def safe as there are many cops over there. My first advice was to make sure you're not suckered into any of those tours that take you around the city. The best way to experience it is to go on your own. The shows are great. I can recommend some food for you. I'd suggest Artichoke pizza, arguable the best pizza in NYC. Peter Lugers is good as mentioned but it's in Brooklyn and probably a 30/40 minute trip via the subway. If you really want steak check out Wolfgangs. There's a few locations but there's one in Times Square. It's expensive for sure but fantastic. No specific breakfast suggestions but going to a deli/bodega and getting a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel is fantastic. The World Trade Center is an experience def a must. Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty are doable but probably a 3/4 event. I'd check out Central Park and walk around there, get lost a little and appreciate it. I'd also check out a museum. You can get a Yankees hat anywhere. Guys on the street sell them everywhere. If you want bargain clothes go to H&M or Century 21 (one by WTC). Designer clothing but heavily discounted. Yankees game during the day would be great. You can easily get cheap tickets. If suggest sitting in the right field bleachers. If you get there early, go to Billy's or Dugout. Great spot by the stadium to drink. I know your daughter is underage but they may let it slide. I also highly recommend going to the Frying Pan. It's a docked boat on the Hudson River but serves drinks and food and you get a great view. If shopping is a big priority check out SoHo and walk around there. Try and take the subway as much as possible. Cheap and efficient. Traffic by Times Square is crazy so if you need to take a cab try and walk a little to get out of the area. I have some cool bars you may like as well. 230 Fifth is a rooftop bar with insane views of NYC and the Empire State Building. Last but not least wear some OU gear you never know when you get a Boomer.

Thank you everyone! Great inside information. I showed my wife and she couldn't believe all the feedback I got. She was impressed by the board smarts here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT