ADVERTISEMENT

Going on record - Move to SEC

veritas59

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2003
I've been thinking about this thing ever since it was announced and I've been alternatively hot and cold on the move. I've finally landed on the side of cold - absolute zero cold. I think that moving to the SEC is going to relegate OU football to mediocrity forever. Name a team that jumped from the Big 12 to ANY other conference that is doing as well, or better, than they did before the move. Mizzou had some good teams in the Big 8/12 as did Colorado. They are homecoming games these days. TAMU might be treading water, but they haven't made a conference championship game yet, and most years they disappoint. Look at Nebraska, what a cluster that program has become. Hell go all the way back to Arkansas leaving the SWC to join the SEC. They have never been a threat in that conference. Most were running toward the money and away from having to deal with (not play) Texas. They left their roots and identities behind and all, save one, have gone from occasional excellence to perennial suck -the best of the lot is occasionally decent.

There is no good reason for OU to the SEC outside of the money. Don't feed me the bullshit about better recruiting because that all it is - BS. This is a pure money play by Joe C and the new president, and they got in bed with Satan to pull it off.

I hate the move. Hate it.

I've been thinking about this thing ever since it was announced and I've been alternatively hot and cold on the move. I've finally landed on the side of cold - absolute zero cold. I think that moving to the SEC is going to relegate OU football to mediocrity forever. Name a team that jumped from the Big 12 to ANY other conference that is doing as well, or better, than they did before the move. Mizzou had some good teams in the Big 8/12 as did Colorado. They are homecoming games these days. TAMU might be treading water, but they haven't made a conference championship game yet, and most years they disappoint. Look at Nebraska, what a cluster that program has become. Hell go all the way back to Arkansas leaving the SWC to join the SEC. They have never been a threat in that conference. Most were running toward the money and away from having to deal with (not play) Texas. They left their roots and identities behind and all, save one, have gone from occasional excellence to perennial suck -the best of the lot is occasionally decent.

There is no good reason for OU to the SEC outside of the money. Don't feed me the bullshit about better recruiting because that all it is - BS. This is a pure money play by Joe C and the new president, and they got in bed with Satan to pull it off.

I go back and forth. I will say OU is a flagship program whereas Nebraska was beginning a decline. It is certainly a money grab. I do believe there will be a positive impact on recruiting, which may be offset by substandard records for the first couple of years.

We have been spoiled with the conference championships, playoff appearances, and double digit win seasons...that will change, and it could be dramatic, and could be for 2 - 4 years. Better get ready, and better switch defensive philosophies. Smaller speed guys on the defensive line and linebackers can work for a bowl game, but I don't see them holding up a full season in the SEC.

I hope that OU hasn't made a bad decision.
But only time will tell if OU has bitten off more than it can chew.
Soon to turn 73, I'm wondering if my two favorite teams...OU and the Yankees....will ever win any more championships. Both will be winning teams, but may never reach the ultimate goal.
The Yankees are a train wreck, starting with ownership and a reckless GM who has no clue on building a great team. Manager Boone gets too much blame, but he's having to deal with the talent he's been given.
OU has settled into a style of football comparable to arena football and seemingly ignoring the old "offense sells tickets-defense wins championships" adage. It's been the lack of solid defense that has doomed OU in the playoffs and several bowl games in recent years.
In 2000, following the Yankees WS win over the Mets and OU's win over Florid State for the 2000 National Championship, if someone told me that for the next 21 years all I would witness only the Yankees 2009 WS championship and zero OU championships, I would not have believed it.

I thought I was the only OU person who didn't love the move. I just like having several drivable road games each year, not just in Football, but also in Women's Gymnastics and especially Softball. I've seen at least a dozen games in Waco in this century, less than two hours away. That's going away. And I just prefer the general friendliness of crowds of other Big XII schools.

I'm old enough that my traveling fan days are likely pretty limited in the not too distant future. However, the move to the SEC is going to cut the future time at least a little prematurely. I've been to all but two CCG's that OU has played in. That's not going to be the case in Atlanta.

I know it's all about the money. If OU ends up in the East, as I fear, then most conference road games with require a flight from Dallas. This is just a big change for the average OU fan. I think a lot of season ticket holders will strongly favor the move, because of the improved home schedule.

I don't hate the move. But I'd greatly prefer we beefed up the XII while staying, rather that join the biggest group of cheaters in the country, with a really ugly bald guy as their chief defender.

Big 12 is a diminishing star. Lacking big draws for ratings. Lacking star power players. Sooners will have usual growing pains Georgia Alabama and Auburn are this year’s big dogs. Kentucky Mississippi and A&M are the next level. We should be between levels. LSU is in shambles as is Florida.

Like most I am torn on the move. I hate the SEC and have for quite some time. The arragance of the fanbases are one reason for that hate and the other is the special treatment they are given in football and even in baseball and softball where it seems every SEC gets into those regionals.

Living here in Arkansas and listening to these bozos just makes me hate the SEC more. The only positive of this move is that every other year I will make the 2-1/2 trip to Fayetteville to see OU beat the hell out of the Hogs. If we lose my Hog friends will not cut me any slack neither will my wife who is one of those Hog fans.

I do think OU will be competitive out of the gate but to compete for SEC football titles LR has to get rid of the Taco Tech mentality. Only time will tell though if its a good move.

As for the B12, I think the new additions will make that a very competitive conference with those 12 teams they will have. Had the conference been pro-active and convinced some teams to come to the league before the SEC talk began its possible OU might have stayed. That though is an answer we will never know.

One thing is for sure I will never chant SEC SEC SEC and if I do I hope my wife hits me over the head with a shovel.

I have been back and forth on the move. I do see a possible boost in recruiting but lets be real its all about the money.
There will be growing pains no doubt, the Defense will have to get much better to win week in and week out in the SEC.
I do find it interesting that most fans I know from some SEC teams don't like it. And whats funny is they had no issues when aTm and Missouri joined.

If we win and don't lose to the likes of Miss St. Ole Miss and Arky regularly all will be good but if we do lose to those type programs and will only ever be a middle of the road SEC team then it will stink. The Aggies have had a boost in Recruiting but so far it hasn't resulted in a Conference Title or a Playoff Berth.

That said, lets get in there and see if we really are who we think we are. Sooner rather than later.

I think you are right about it being a money grab.
But, it goes further than that. It is about a money grab in a world where you either keep up financially or you will be lost.
OU and TX moving to the SEC is supposed to increase the other 14 SEC team revenues by about $15 Million (I think). That means OU and TX will receive an additional $25 Million?
Meanwhile, it is projected that the current members of the B12 will receive considerably less than they currently get.
If you don't have the money to keep up with facilities, salaries, etc, you will fall behind and eventually become an after thought.
I have a family member who is an OSU fan and grad. He routinely posts Facebook messages saying he is NOT concerned about the Cowboys and their future. His posts are unprovoked and come from out of the blue.
That tells me he actually is concerned.
And, he should be concerned.
The B12 is going to become the big fish in the Group of 5(6) pond.
Power 5 will become Power 4 soon.

Some very good points in this thread. I know two things excite me about this move.
1. This will be similar to the early Big 12 South days where the competition was much stronger. The games were more exciting as the matchups in general were much more difficult. Since the dissolution of the Big 12 North/South this conference has grown weaker.

2. It is my hope that we start recruiting and actually playing defense again. Teddy Lehman was our last Butkus awardee and that was 2003. There has to be some improvement on this side of the ball or our move will be a catastrophe.

The way I look at it is if we're going after #8, the pathway is through the SEC. We've got to be able to beat the best to be the best. So we might as well take them on in the regular season to see what we're made of. Plus, with expanded playoffs, a 1-2 loss team with high SOS should be able to get in, so losses during the regular season won't matter as much.

I'm a Texas graduate. Most of us recognize what this is about. It's about the money. The B12 is sinking and the Texas administration knows it. We have to move. Look, Texas is going to get it's clock cleaned in football for the foreseeable future. We aren't good. Texas can't even make the b12 championship game. It's really pathetic. We have tons of cash but suck. We are going to be great at everything else but football. It may be for another 5-10 years that we suck.

I think a former b12 pod of texas/ou/piggy(swc)/mu or aggy would be fun and extremely competitive. Y'all will really hate piggy. Texas trips to Feyatville (Feyatnam) are the things of legend... go re-watch The Deliverance.

The only thing constant in life is change. We are going to have to embrace this. At least we are going to be with familiar "friends" as we move. Nebraska was alone and still is alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22LR

I just hope it is East/West instead of the PODs (rotate the POD, Hal). I like that lineup better. You will have to admit when OU played TN in Knoxville, it was exciting with Baker at the helm.

My thoughts:
East:
Bama
Auburn
UT
USC, Jr.
UK
UGa
Fla
Vandy

West:
OU
aTm
The other UT
Arkie
Mizzou
LSU
The two schools from the land mass between Louisiana and Alabama.

Play two inter division games and 3 non conference. This alignment also maintains all of the “must have” rivalry games on an annual basis. I fear the SEC may want to keep the single permanent inter division series that each team currently has, though, which would suck.

My thoughts:
East:
Bama
Auburn
UT
USC, Jr.
UK
UGa
Fla
Vandy

West:
OU
aTm
The other UT
Arkie
Mizzou
LSU

Play two inter division games and 3 non conference. This alignment also maintains all of the “must have” rivalry games on an annual basis. I fear the SEC may want to keep the single permanent inter division series that each team currently has, though, which would suck.

Totally agree there SL.

If Florida, LSU, Bama and Auburn can win NC, so can OU. If we pick up some more key recruits this year, plus stay on pace, for 2023, OU will be just fine! My biggest worry right now is Oline recruiting. The 2020 class has a lot of steak and will see if they come together. I know most saw that small class, as being, Bedenbaugh class.

If we recruit Top 5, I think we'll be just fine running into the SEC. It's not just the starters but more the depth, that will make the difference. I have no doubt OU can score 28+ on all SEC schools, except maybe UGA, this year.

Totally agree there SL.
I can also envision a scenario, which I believe was hinted at above, where OU would simply join the east, and Texas the west, with the RRS as a permanent inter division game. I certainly hope this does not happen, as the "big" division games would be UF, UGa and maybe Tenn (I don't think UK will maintain their current success).

Getting back to the original point, I'm perfectly happy with the move to the SEC overall. OU in the Big 12 is getting to be like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was in the karate class with grammar school kids.

I think a former b12 pod of texas/ou/piggy(swc)/mu or aggy would be fun and extremely competitive. Y'all will really hate piggy. Texas trips to Feyatville (Feyatnam) are the things of legend... go re-watch The Deliverance.
For those of us who have been here since the Blake years (and maybe even before), you are preaching to the choir. Arkie fans really seem to have a hard-on for OU, and have been here on numerous occasions talking smack (SEC smack). Not sure why, since OU owns them in head-to-head.

My thoughts:
East:
Bama
Auburn
UT
USC, Jr.
UK
UGa
Fla
Vandy

West:
OU
aTm
The other UT
Arkie
Mizzou
LSU

If so, OU would be in the more favorable division, IMO.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Y
If Florida, LSU, Bama and Auburn can win NC, so can OU. If we pick up some more key recruits this year, plus stay on pace, for 2023, OU will be just fine! My biggest worry right now is Oline recruiting. The 2020 class has a lot of steak and will see if they come together. I know most saw that small class, as being, Bedenbaugh class.

If we recruit Top 5, I think we'll be just fine running into the SEC. It's not just the starters but more the depth, that will make the difference. I have no doubt OU can score 28+ on all SEC schools, except maybe UGA, this year.
Yes sir, offensive line recruiting should be prioritized and a must obviously for LR's offensive attack. Now though, a heavy heavy emphasis has to placed on d'line recruits. Absolutely has to happen if we are to compete in the sec. No question about it imo. We need big beefy disruptive mean mother****ing game changing beasts on that dline if we hope to compete with bama and georgia who are the apparent gold standard as of today in the sec as well as cfb. I rant, I rave, I want it all! 😁

I can also envision a scenario, which I believe was hinted at above, where OU would simply join the east, and Texas the west, with the RRS as a permanent inter division game. I certainly hope this does not happen, as the "big" division games would be UF, UGa and maybe Tenn (I don't think UK will maintain their current success).

Getting back to the original point, I'm perfectly happy with the move to the SEC overall. OU in the Big 12 is getting to be like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer was in the karate class with grammar school kids.

Yep, god dam almighty, I can't stop laughing. 😂

My thoughts:
East:
Bama
Auburn
UT
USC, Jr.
UK
UGa
Fla
Vandy

West:
OU
aTm
The other UT
Arkie
Mizzou
LSU

Alabama and Georgia would never sign off on that.

I like the move. Playing tougher opponents each week will raise OU's level of competiveness. We are way to comfortable in the Big 12--yes winning all those titles is great but what has it prepared us for,,,as our playoff record shows--nothing. I honestly think once we get through an SEC schedule our program will be better quipped to face the SEC's elite. As things are right now, we pray we get in then hope like heck we don't get embarrassed. The SEC will raise our level of play above what it takes to win the Big 12. My .02

NIL is driving this. There won't be enough money in the Big XII to stay competitive (sure, its private money for NIL, but that money is diverted from the school - otherwise made up for in the SEC because of the TV contracts, which also provides a bigger stage with more top games). Stay in the Big XII and eventually NIL will put a dent in our recruiting - we've only scratched the surface with that.

The other Big XII schools that left were all also-ran besides NU; NU pulled itself out of the TX market - that is not happening to OU. And A&M is one of the few schools to actually beat Bama in the SEC. Ain't going to be easier, but you to don't have to worry about making a fatal existential mistake like NU made, but in our case, by staying. All of this is moot - its happening.

Alabama and Georgia would never sign off on that.
Probably not, but it makes the most sense. I don't see any other way of appeasing those two which leaves OU and Texas in the same division, but balances the perennial "Top Tenners" between divisions (I'm assuming that Texas will eventually become a Top 10 program again).

As tradition-rich as OU is, they continue to lose out on 5-star recruits to the SEC. I would think once OU joins the SEC, those 5-star recruits who might have bailed on OU to join a team in the SEC will gladly join OU in the future.

Bama is on the decline. Saban will be retiring soon. OU is joining at the best time.

We're already mired in mediocricy. If we were not in the Big 12 there is no way OU would be a Champion football team on an annual bassis.
It's... Go big or go home.

We're already mired in mediocricy. If we were not in the Big 12 there is no way OU would be a Champion football team on an annual bassis.
It's... Go big or go home.
I don't know about this. Sure, OU has had issues in the playoffs, but any team not named Alabama or Clemson for most of that stretch also had problems winning.

When OU wasn't in the playoffs, they beat up on SEC teams.

2014: Beat Bama 45-31 in the Sugar Bowl
2017: Beat Auburn 35-19 in the Sugar Bowl
2020: Beat Florida 55-20 in the Cotton Bowl

Reactions: soonerinlOUisiana
OU beat a good Alabama team that lost its last regular season game on a freakish return on a missed FG as time expired. This loss knocked Alabama out of the national championship playoffs and had them settle for the Sugar Bowl game with OU. Alabama had 5 turnovers and in my view looked like a different team from the one that cruised through the regular season prior to the Auburn game.
OU beat an 8-5 Auburn team, that lost to two 8-5 teams and was blown out by Alabama and Clemson.
OU beat a decimated Florida team with many key players bailing out for the NFL.
Georgia, Alabama and LSU ended OU's championship hopes in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Can we please please please recruit some d'line. All I want for christmas. 😉

Got a great one coming in and a few with huge upside, next year. If we get a Sooner Legacy, out of the 23 class, Overton is the #1 Dlinemen. Dindy is a great get and if a few others fall into place. OU will have the 2nd best Dline class.

Dindy is the highest rated recruit for OU, this year.

I'm a Texas graduate. Most of us recognize what this is about. It's about the money. The B12 is sinking and the Texas administration knows it. We have to move. Look, Texas is going to get it's clock cleaned in football for the foreseeable future. We aren't good. Texas can't even make the b12 championship game. It's really pathetic. We have tons of cash but suck. We are going to be great at everything else but football. It may be for another 5-10 years that we suck.

The only thing constant in life is change. We are going to have to embrace this. At least we are going to be with familiar "friends" as we move. Nebraska was alone and still is alone.
What you should do is go back to Longhorn sports forum and tell the dumbshit moderator MM his forum there advertised “a place for Horns, Sooner, and Aggies” to mix it up……..but as soon as he gets his feelings hurt he bans everyone. LOL that dude is a joke.

I don't know about this. Sure, OU has had issues in the playoffs, but any team not named Alabama or Clemson for most of that stretch also had problems winning.

When OU wasn't in the playoffs, they beat up on SEC teams.

2014: Beat Bama 45-31 in the Sugar Bowl
2017: Beat Auburn 35-19 in the Sugar Bowl
2020: Beat Florida 55-20 in the Cotton Bowl
I'm speaking directly of Conference Championships. There is no doubt that OU is the big fish in the small bowl of the B12. The King of the Hill. There is no way that OU would have as many Conf Champ trophies in the cabinet if they were in the SEC. And yes money is a factor. But that isn't anything new. The move from the B8 to the B12 was about money as well. It's always about the money. Always will be. The SEC will not be a cakewalk. The transition will not be easy. The recruiting bump won't be as big as some think it will be either. No doubt about it that we'll snag a few that otherwise might not have committed to OU though.

BTW, the 2014 game against Bama was a pure pleasure. Trevor was simply on fire that night.

I'm speaking directly of Conference Championships. There is no doubt that OU is the big fish in the small bowl of the B12. The King of the Hill. There is no way that OU would have as many Conf Champ trophies in the cabinet if they were in the SEC. And yes money is a factor. But that isn't anything new. The move from the B8 to the B12 was about money as well. It's always about the money. Always will be. The SEC will not be a cakewalk. The transition will not be easy. The recruiting bump won't be as big as some think it will be either. No doubt about it that we'll snag a few that otherwise might not have committed to OU though.

BTW, the 2014 game against Bama was a pure pleasure. Trevor was simply on fire that night.
I'm sure part of it is there are not that many high-level prospects to go around and geographies still matter. However, did you have other reasons to think our recruiting would not improve significantly?

Colorado, Mizzou, Texas A7M were always middle of the conference teams even Nebraska near the end wasn't always competitive no I'm not saying OU will go into the SEC and dominate but I don't think they'll go the way of the rest.

Reactions: soonerinlOUisiana
I'm sure part of it is there are not that many high-level prospects to go around and geographies still matter. However, did you have other reasons to think our recruiting would not improve significantly?
LR's offense will most definitely spark special interest from top defensive prospects. Heck, that's all we're missing right now to be a well balanced complete team contending in arguably the strongest conference. OUr defense from past is why this chucklehead committee has us ranked where we are today. This is a good move imo. We might get spanked outta the gate but it won't last very long. Not very long at all. Imo. 👍

Reactions: ShamWowed
I think recruiting is mostly about the Coaches with the nation's top HS recruits. These Top recruits know how good they are and they want the teaching, coaching etc to get them to the next level. A coach's experience, their playbook, their hustle, and their love of recruiting is extremely important.. Flat out some coachesn are just flat lazy while others just don't have the personality & confidence. Multiple top defensive recruits are't lining up to go to OU but they are Georgia (Kirby Smart). Flip that and OU (Riley) can sit back and pick who he wants in most Offensive positions while Kirby can't. OU is identifed as QBU these days because of Riley. And prior to Smart landing at Georgia they weren't known as a strong defensive team. The defensive effort at OU has picked up in the past couple of years because of Grinch and Cain. Especially Cain. My .02 anyway.

Reactions: ShamWowed
I think recruiting is mostly about the Coaches with the nation's top HS recruits. These Top recruits know how good they are and they want the teaching, coaching etc to get them to the next level. A coach's experience, their playbook, their hustle, and their love of recruiting is extremely important.. Flat out some coachesn are just flat lazy while others just don't have the personality & confidence. Multiple top defensive recruits are't lining up to go to OU but they are Georgia (Kirby Smart). Flip that and OU (Riley) can sit back and pick who he wants in most Offensive positions while Kirby can't. OU is identifed as QBU these days because of Riley. And prior to Smart landing at Georgia they weren't known as a strong defensive team. The defensive effort at OU has picked up in the past couple of years because of Grinch and Cain. Especially Cain. My .02 anyway.
Agreed. We are offensive heavy at the moment although some signs of improvement on the D-Line. I'm not sure how long Grinch and co. will be staying or if he is the long term answer, but I do think our overall defensive appeal will be better in the SEC. Success breeds on success so if he can hold our own and keep building momentum after this next class who knows.

Thomas, Winfrey, Redmond (if not injury prone) all have a shot at the next level. I'm not sure on bonitto due to size but that should assist.

Reactions: newnasty
Colorado, Mizzou, Texas A7M were always middle of the conference teams even Nebraska near the end wasn't always competitive no I'm not saying OU will go into the SEC and dominate but I don't think they'll go the way of the rest.
Agree. Out of 25 Big 12 seasons (1996-2020), OU has 13.5 conference championships. More than all the other schools combined. No way they duplicate that in the SEC. Not even Bama will duplicate that. I look for OU to "hold their own" which isn't bad at all in real conference.

• Haha
Reactions: soonersoldier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT