ADVERTISEMENT

Fox Sports OU article

Woody I am far from an expert but with Evers and Gabriel both on the roster I am not sure they would go with Jackson Arnold unless he just blew everyone away. True freshman starting are rare. Jst my opinion though.
We'll hang on brother, Jackson's gonna start from day one. 👍

Gabriel threw for 330 yards and 4 touchdowns and no interceptions vs Kansas State.
He is not without room to improve but it was the defense that led to the loss, not Gabriel.
I see Gabriel’s return next year as Arnold comes in as a pleasant problem for OU, not a dilemma.

Gabriel threw for 330 yards and 4 touchdowns and no interceptions vs Kansas State.
He is not without room to improve but it was the defense that led to the loss, not Gabriel.
I see Gabriel’s return next year as Arnold comes in as a pleasant problem for OU, not a dilemma.
👍

I truly think Gabriel is back next year and Lebby remains loyal to him for really getting OU out of a huge bind, which will allow JA to redshirt and really learn the system even though he runs a variation of it in hs, Very few true freshmen are ready to make the jump to college ball and play right away.

This was never gonna be a Playoff Contender Team. Not a Big 12 Title Team or even a team that would dominate on both sides of the ball, too many new faces, players and coaches. We may be OU but we aren't miracle workers. If you thought OU was going to run the table this year, win the Big 12 and get in the playoffs man I need a good hit of that stuff you are smoking. We have had better teams do it and got smoked in the Playoffs. Stop putting unrealistic expectations on this thrown together team and mostly new Coaching Staff. After year 2 or 3 and we are not any better off then its time to worry.
RECRUITING, RECRUITING, RECRUITING. Thats the way out of this mess. Maybe we can do it, we better, SEC LOOMS.

I will add I don't understand why so many fans have such a hard on for Kanak on the D and why he isn't getting more playing time? He is a Freshman afterall. Besides that most of the vids I saw of him in HS he was kicking butt on Offense. Why not have a few plays for him on that side of the ball as well?

Last edited:
I truly think Gabriel is back next year and Lebby remains loyal to him for really getting OU out of a huge bind, which will allow JA to redshirt and really learn the system even though he runs a variation of it in hs, Very few true freshmen are ready to make the jump to college ball and play right away.
Redshirting Arnold.... if Gabriel returns in 2023.... is the ideal scenario in my opinion.
But I do not believe Arnold was recruited by OU or any other team to sit out a year.
I hope you are right Belldozer1.

R.J. Young is a clown and an idiot. Fox has to be kidding to give an outlet to spew.
Everyone has an opinion but why dont you enlighten us with what he said that was wrong in that article?

Point being is I dont always agree with your takes but I wouldnt call you an idiot. Just someone who has a view I think is wrong at times. I am sure that applies to us all at times on the board here.

To be fair that might be the 1st article I have read by him. I don’t think he was wrong though.

Last edited:
Everyone has an opinion but why dont you enlighten us with what he said that was wrong in that article?

Point being is I dont always agree with your takes but I wouldnt call you an idiot. Just someone who has a view I think is wrong at times. I am sure that applies to us all at times on the board here.

To be fair that might be the 1st article I have read by him. I don’t think he was wrong though.
This opinion is based on a long history of speaking first just to be first and spouting things to see what sticks without any credibility or integrity. The issue with Young is so much deeper than any one article. It is like he “sold out” to the program just to stand out. Not to mention he is annoying and tough on the ears.

This opinion is based on a long history of speaking first just to be first and spouting things to see what sticks without any credibility or integrity. The issue with Young is so much deeper than any one article. It is like he “sold out” to the program just to stand out. Not to mention he is annoying and tough on the ears.
Well I can’t say one way or the other as I don’t listen to his podcast and as I said I think this is the first article I have read from him. Sounds like you dislike him as much as I can’t stand listening to the ESPN gameday crap. I quit watching them on Saturdays years sgo.

This was never gonna be a Playoff Contender Team. Not a Big 12 Title Team or even a team that would dominate on both sides of the ball, too many new faces, players and coaches. We may be OU but we aren't miracle workers. If you thought OU was going to run the table this year, win the Big 12 and get in the playoffs man I need a good hit of that stuff you are smoking. We have had better teams do it and got smoked in the Playoffs. Stop putting unrealistic expectations on this thrown together team and mostly new Coaching Staff. After year 2 or 3 and we are not any better off then its time to worry.
RECRUITING, RECRUITING, RECRUITING. Thats the way out of this mess. Maybe we can do it, we better, SEC LOOMS.

I will add I don't understand why so many fans have such a hard on for Kanak on the D and why he isn't getting more playing time? He is a Freshman afterall. Besides that most of the vids I saw of him in HS he was kicking butt on Offense. Why not have a few plays for him on that side of the ball as well?
You make some good points. One thing is for sure, Venables has coached championship teams and he knows what quality looks like and what doesnt. I’m sure he very well knows what this team is capable of and doesn’t appear to make knee jerk reactions based upon a game. He knows we’re capable of being Big 12 good but we’re not really anything more than that this year. Having some of the older players stick around is kind of a double edged sword it seems.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Well I can’t say one way or the other as I don’t listen to his podcast and as I said I think this is the first article I have read from him. Sounds like you dislike him as much as I can’t stand listening to the ESPN gameday crap. I quit watching them on Saturdays years sgo.
I’m also getting fed up with the College Football Final trio. Especially Matt Barrie.

As Ed used to say to Johnny Carson, “You are correct sir!”

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY

As somebody who thought an unbeaten regular season was possible, I'll chime in here. Up until Saturday I was looking pretty smart. Unbeaten is still real hard though. And my point was that we'd likely be favored in every game and on paper be the better team. Kansas State is not the more talented team. They executed a fantastic game plan, protected the football and let us shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties and missed opportunities. Kansas State has their destiny in their hands moving forward.

As for everybody else, Baylor is vulnerable losing to an average BYU squad who got worked by Oregon, who got demolished by Georgia, who just had a tougher time with Kent State than us. I was impressed with Baylor at Iowa State but they could easily lose a couple more games. Oklahoma State has their own defensive issues and a QB who can be very suspect. Let's see how they look against Baylor Saturday. Kansas is going to be a handful for everybody because of Daniels but they're still Kansas just about everywhere else. Texas is ready to collapse again if they can't hold off a scrappy West Virginia squad. TCU is inconsistent as is Tech.

Point is, there is no favorite right now. And Oklahoma is still the most talented. Since Stoops' arrival we've won the Big XII every season we've dropped our conference opener. Brent has their attention I guarantee it and we probably just played the toughest opponent on the schedule. Learn and grow week to week and we have a very good chance of being the top team in the conference by season's end.

And Kanak is a physical freak. He's a bigger Teddy Lehman. People want him to play now because as soon as the game slows down he has the potential to be a defensive all American.

As somebody who thought an unbeaten regular season was possible, I'll chime in here. Up until Saturday I was looking pretty smart. Unbeaten is still real hard though. And my point was that we'd likely be favored in every game and on paper be the better team. Kansas State is not the more talented team. They executed a fantastic game plan, protected the football and let us shoot ourselves in the foot with penalties and missed opportunities. Kansas State has their destiny in their hands moving forward.

As for everybody else, Baylor is vulnerable losing to an average BYU squad who got worked by Oregon, who got demolished by Georgia, who just had a tougher time with Kent State than us. I was impressed with Baylor at Iowa State but they could easily lose a couple more games. Oklahoma State has their own defensive issues and a QB who can be very suspect. Let's see how they look against Baylor Saturday. Kansas is going to be a handful for everybody because of Daniels but they're still Kansas just about everywhere else. Texas is ready to collapse again if they can't hold off a scrappy West Virginia squad. TCU is inconsistent as is Tech.

Point is, there is no favorite right now. And Oklahoma is still the most talented. Since Stoops' arrival we've won the Big XII every season we've dropped our conference opener. Brent has their attention I guarantee it and we probably just played the toughest opponent on the schedule. Learn and grow week to week and we have a very good chance of being the top team in the conference by season's end.

And Kanak is a physical freak. He's a bigger Teddy Lehman. People want him to play now because as soon as the game slows down he has the potential to be a defensive all American.
Brother. 👍

Reactions: iasooner2000

well at least you admitted it. As for talent, how do you know we are the most talented team?? I really can't say we have more talent than several teams in this league...TX, Baylor, Okie State all seem to be on par with us right now.

Undefeated? Was looking pretty smart before last Sat? We beat 3 not very good teams, the 3rd was just a Name and nostalgia that everyone got excited about beating but beating Nebraska is not a big deal anymore. Then we lose to K State at home, they lost to Tulane the previous week.
Yeah not so sure we have the most talented team. I don't see a single team in the Big 12 that stands out right now to me as the most talented. That will likely change as the season progresses but right now I don't.
As for Kanak yes he is talented and will be a good player no doubt but he is still a Freshman that is learning. A lot of Football left so who knows what will happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT