ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN: 8 reasons why OU could win the football national championship

Quick was a highly rated receiver coming out of high school so I think he was expected to be pretty darn good. Thus my reference. Thanks for caring though

That still doesn't mean anyone, yourself included, would have to believe he's going to be our best receiver next season. But I'm always here to care if you need me.

It's the typical word twisting to serve the always pessimistic purpose.

The answer to my question I'll never get is...nobody. Nobody said Quick was gonna be our best receiver.

And saying Andrews only showed signs is asinine. He was great considering the role he was given.

Actually... Andrews gave OU fans the best sign ever. He caught more TD passes than any previous player to ever wear an OU jersey as a Frshman in the history of OU football. If that isn't a sign, then whoever posted this is for sure a bit uninformed.

Reactions: oumedstudent1989
Actually... Andrews gave OU fans the best sign ever. He caught more TD passes than any previous player to ever wear an OU jersey as a Frshman in the history of OU football. If that isn't a sign, then whoever posted this is for sure a bit uninformed.

Couldn't agree more.

QB (back-up) is a potential major problem area next year. QB depth is obviously not where we want it to be. Under an unpleasant scenario, it could prove disastrous. Stoops will need to ensure Baker gets much more rest this season so our back-up can gain experience.

Receivers could very well be a long-term (mid-season/beyond) problem. We just might find a stud in one of our newbies (Freshmen/Redshirts). Westbrook, Lewis and Andrews are a solid nucleus but beyond them, slim pickings. Our backs will likely be a major force in the passing game to lighten the load.

Quick is not a viable option and will have to settle for a spot on the return teams.

LB will be a short-term problem (maybe the 1st 4 games) but the talent is there, just not the experience. When they begin to mesh, it should be a beautiful thing to behold.

Yes, the other universities experience similar personnel turnover and experience issues but our problems MIGHT be much more pronounced.

As for our schedule, I fear Baylor (trends) in Norman much more than TOSU game.

Boomer Sooner

OU is loaded...plane and simple.

Biggest concern to me, and it could be a season changer, is what happens if Mayfield gets banged up....other than that, I think the Sooners are a top 5 team...easily.

I'd put this group of receivers into about three categories, not including the recruits. And this is a position where a spectacular freshman can play. There might be one, maybe even two who could break into the playing time rotation.

I'd say the first category are guys who have proven to be solid. At this point there are no proven greatness guys, like with Shep a year ago. But Westbrook had a pretty solid game in the national semifinal. When the bowl game came around, he stepped up his game. I also think that Andrews is a proven player. He'll get better. Another year in the offense will help him. He can be counted on to be a contributor. Lewis and Baxter seem to be just a little behind them, but they've done it before, just not quite as consistently.

Quick and Meade have been disappointing to me. Both have "potential" but just haven't done it yet.

But I think there are some young guys who I hope turn into quality players, and hope for soon. Smallwood's injuries have been disappointing. I expect him, if he stays healthy to be a solid contributor. Dallis Todd is hurt again, so who knows. I was hoping for a lot from him. I also think that out of Dahu Green, A.D. Miller and maybe John Humphrey, that will find a player or two.

OUt of the frosh, I don't have big expectations. I like Hardy. I think Farrar will redshirt. Jones I think could be special. He had knee surgery in high school. Before it, he looked like a future college star. After, he looked to me like he lost his burst. But after a year of added healing, if he is recovered, and he can learn all the stuff you have to learn, I think he could be a stud.

OUt of all that, I think you can find eight good rotation guys. And I think you throw Mixon into the uh mix, and maybe even Adams, I think those two running backs are slot players that could scare a defense. I thought Mixon was a quality back a year ago, especially considered he had to miss a whole year of any kind of football, even practice. He had to think a lot last year. I suspect that of all OUr "skill players" that you'll see the most improvement from him

I also think that with so many guys who will be new to rotation playing time, that we'll be better as the season progresses. Problem is, we need greatness to show up pretty good in the first two games. I don't think anybody in the country plays two more difficult games one and two.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
OU is loaded...plane and simple.

Biggest concern to me, and it could be a season changer, is what happens if Mayfield gets banged up....other than that, I think the Sooners are a top 5 team...easily.
Pre-season, mid-year, or post season? Easily??

Boomer Sooner

Reactions: BillyRay
I believe two of the three.
Houston will be no cakewalk but we should prevail. UT is always a challenge.

We just might be listed as the underdog against both TOSU and BU. I kind of like being the non-favorite in both, if that's the case, as the underdog usually comes out barking the loudest.

Kendall is gonna have to mature quickly - even faster than BU's Stidham last year.

Boomer Sooner

What's funny is most of these were giving prophecies of doom last year around this time because rumors were starting to float around that Baker Mayfield would win the starting job. Remember though, "if OU has a walk on starting that couldn't make it at a place like Tech, then OU is in for at least a 6 loss season".

Sooners will be very good as long as Baker Mayfield stays on the field. If he misses some games they could find themselves in the same position that Baylor found itself in last season, without a seasoned QB to lead them. I'll be at the Spring Game primarily to see Austin Kendall and Kyler Murray. For 2016, after Austin all that will be on the active roster are walk on QBs, Reese Clark (RF, 6'4" 203) and Connor McGinnis (RF 6'4" 194).

Josh Heupel recruited QBs not making it really hurts.

What's funny is most of these were giving prophecies of doom last year around this time because rumors were starting to float around that Baker Mayfield would win the starting job. Remember though, "if OU has a walk on starting that couldn't make it at a place like Tech, then OU is in for at least a 6 loss season".
No one has talked "doom" here, except in the eyes of those who regard every player on the roster as a first team All American.
OU has some question marks at certain positions, as it does every preseason....get over it.

Posters on scoop. I can't even recall how many "if a walk QB starts at OU, we're heading for ___ losses" and whatever other hyperbole they could come up with to make it sound like OU was heading for a dumpster fire. Fact is, there are factors to talk about as possibilities and probabilities (and very few certainties like Perine and Mixon) but most things that people are even making semi-definitive statements about don't have a damn clue. No one knows how the WR situation will shake out. We know Westbrook is pretty damn good. We don't know how having added reps to other receivers will help or if not at all. Just like a few ppl saying Quick just needs to move along, basically. That's outlandish and no one knows how he'll respond.

I just find it obsurd that people will post optimistic opinions and then the negative come in making definitive statements like about having a "walk on QB start at a school like OU" and Quick.

Last edited:
OU loses 4 of 5 of its linebackers (which the ESPN article doesn't mention), has a quarterback who suffered a concussion in 2 of his last 3 games and has no proven backup, loses it's main receiving target in Shepard (one of OU's legendary players), only three proven receivers in Westbrook, Andrews and Lewis, a rebuilt offensive line, a kicker who consistently boomed kickoffs into the opponents' end zone and questions in the secondary behind Steven Parker and Ahmad Thomas.
In addition, OU could be better but lose at least 2 regular season games in 2016. Lots of young players need to step up immediately.

So Jordan Thomas is a question mark? That's 3 out of 4 in the secondary (probably more known than 95% of the teams in the country). As for WR's, Jarvis Baxter proved to be pretty damn good already also with good and reliable hands and catching the ball in tight coverage. Lb's is a true question mark. As good as Striker was, he was also a bit of a liability against a power run game. There are a lot of unknowns, so it's just silly with all the definitive and inaccurate statements.

Posters on scoop. I can't even recall how many "if a walk QB starts at OU, we're heading for ___ losses" and whatever other hyperbole they could come up with to make it sound like OU was heading for a dumpster fire. Fact is, there are factors to talk about as possibilities and probabilities (and very few certainties like Perine and Mixon) but most things that people are even making semi-definitive statements about don't have a damn clue. No one knows how the WR situation will shake out. We know Westbrook is pretty damn good. We don't know how having added reps to other receivers will help or if not at all. Just like a few ppl saying Quick just needs to move along, basically. That's outlandish and no one knows how he'll respond.

I just find it obsurd that people will post optimistic opinions and then the negative come in making definitive statements like about having a "walk on QB start at a school like OU" and Quick.
You wouldn't seem to know (and also wouldn't likely acknowledge) an empirically supported trend if it bit you on the backside. Especially one that bucks your subjective outlooks.

In a world of grand slams, you keep striking out.

Boomer Sooner

Reactions: CTOkie

The prophecies of doom come from the usual suspects every year and now about more than football.

So Jordan Thomas is a question mark? That's 3 out of 4 in the secondary (probably more known than 95% of the teams in the country). As for WR's, Jarvis Baxter proved to be pretty damn good already also with good and reliable hands and catching the ball in tight coverage. Lb's is a true question mark. As good as Striker was, he was also a bit of a liability against a power run game. There are a lot of unknowns, so it's just silly with all the definitive and inaccurate statements.
I meant Ahmad Thomas #13 not Jordan Thomas #7....although Ahmad Thomas can have his moments as he did to save the Tennessee game in overtime.
If someone implied Mayfield was NOT going to be such a great presence in 2015 and was not going to be OU's clear-cut MVP, who cares ?
Everything that can be said of OUs' 2016 team here on March 24th is speculation and if it's right or wrong, so effing what ?
"Prophecies of doom from the usual suspects" ?....There really should be a limit to overreacting here. No one is stampeding cattle through The Vatican here, only discussing what MAY be issues this season. No harm. No foul.

Jobea I don't remember one person calling for 6 losses regardless of who was going to the qb going into last year. Bcs we are just being cautiously optimistic, you however are seeing everything thru crimson colored glasses. To each their own I guess, but I'll take a wait and see approach and some of this talk so far has been building up players better than they are. I hope they do improve because we have some serious holes to fill

I'm going to protect myself, I refuse to be positive after last year. Damn we started out ranked and made the playoffs. We failed though at OU it's about National Championships. I'm not even going to watch the games. I declare right now if they make the Championship game I'll watch it. Then I'll be positive but then Mayfield and others will leave. I'm worried about that now dang it. When do Stoops sons graduate? I'm afraid Stoops will retire then. Why can't every season be championship seasons?

Reactions: K2C Sooner
I'm going to protect myself, I refuse to be positive after last year. Damn we started out ranked and made the playoffs. We failed though at OU it's about National Championships. I'm not even going to watch the games. I declare right now if they make the Championship game I'll watch it. Then I'll be positive but then Mayfield and others will leave. I'm worried about that now dang it. When do Stoops sons graduate? I'm afraid Stoops will retire then. Why can't every season be championship seasons?
LOL.

Boomer Sooner

Andrews has a chance to be a really good player, but he isn't there yet. I don't know his stats, but I think they were probably average.
He started only one game and didn't see a ton of playing time. He had 19 catches for 318 yards, 16.7 ypc average. 7 of those 19 catches were for touchdowns.

Jobea I don't remember one person calling for 6 losses regardless of who was going to the qb going into last year. Bcs we are just being cautiously optimistic, you however are seeing everything thru crimson colored glasses. To each their own I guess, but I'll take a wait and see approach and some of this talk so far has been building up players better than they are. I hope they do improve because we have some serious holes to fill

This is exactly where you crumble. Where did I say anything that would be considered "rose colored"?! Find anything in there where I even predicted anything. I'll wait patiently as you all try. Until then, please try to stay with opinion based arguments instead of trying to state opinion as fact.

You wouldn't seem to know (and also wouldn't likely acknowledge) an empirically supported trend if it bit you on the backside. Especially one that bucks your subjective outlooks.

In a world of grand slams, you keep striking out.

Boomer Sooner

Have you been drinking? This doesn't even make a bit of sense in any type of scenario.

Have you been drinking? This doesn't even make a bit of sense in any type of scenario.
Yes. I drink everyday. Don't you?

In fact, I eat most days, too, if that is a point of interest/concern to you as well.

If it doesn't make sense to you, would it truly be the nonsense you seem to imply? Dig deep now.

Assuming I can reason, under what potential scenario could I make it more sensible to you?

If it helps, go back and re-read your post in reference and then my response to it again. If that doesn't work for you, perhaps two aspirin and some bed rest might be in order. Maybe not.

Boomer Sooner

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyRay
He started only one game and didn't see a ton of playing time. He had 19 catches for 318 yards, 16.7 ypc average. 7 of those 19 catches were for touchdowns.
Just a guess, but he may not have seen a lot of playing time because he was a little inconsistent in blocking, route running, and he also had one game where I know he had several drops. He is a big target and appears to be pretty athletic for a man his size. Hopefully he can step it up this year and the OC can get him more involved. He could probably be our #1 guy

Yes. I drink everyday. Don't you?

In fact, I eat most days, too, if that is a point of interest/concern to you as well.

If it doesn't make sense to you, would it truly be the nonsense you seem to imply? Dig deep now.

Assuming I can reason, under what potential scenario could I make it more sensible to you?

If it helps, go back and re-read your post in reference and then my response to it again. If that doesn't work for you, perhaps two aspirin and some bed rest might be in order. Maybe not.

Boomer Sooner

More nonsensical crap, thanks ;) Just try to stop stating opinion as fact, especially when it's ill informed.

Lol exactly. I usually agree with jobea on most things but today he isn't making sense.

Some coaching comments:

Riley's playcalling vs Clemson was bordering on abysmal (absolutely check-mated by Venables' half-time adjustments, albeit we had injuries on that side of the ball). I hope the soul-searching paid dividends this off-season.

Defensively we faced two mobile QBs last year (I'm not counting Walsh as Gundy seemed intent on throwing with him - 42 attempts) - and couldn't stop either (resulted in losses to both UT and Clemson). Bob's lifetime record in that regard is not good. Consider me concerned should we face a mobile QB, particularly if a rematch with Watson.

Reactions: BillyRay and CTOkie
You're in a free-fall.
No one was arguing until you entered the thread. Opinions are based on personal observations. If you have a different opinion, fine....but don't pick fights when there are none to be fought.

Then you need to go back and reread the thread. Some people are being extremely optimistic and then some come on saying "Quick will never _____" and the like and telling him that he's all sunshine. All I stated was that it's silly and just plain dumb to make statements of fact about something that absolutely no one has any way of knowing. I brought up last year when so many jumped on the QB doomsaying train and then several got extremely upset and started coming after me. Lol. I didn't name anyone and then only quoted when replying directly.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Quick was a highly rated receiver coming out of high school so I think he was expected to be pretty darn good. Thus my reference. Thanks for caring though
Wasn't there mention that Quick was being considered to be moved to DB, while Stanvon Taylor was being considered being moved to WR ?
Both are great athletes with lots of speed. My take is that both players may just be late bloomers....if not, others will step up.

As long as prior to clicking on this thread you realize everything you read will be the opinions of posters, then you will be free from confusion when reading such differences in wording of responses.

Wasn't there mention that Quick was being considered to be moved to DB, while Stanvon Taylor was being considered being moved to WR ?
Both are great athletes with lots of speed. My take is that both players may just be late bloomers....if not, others will step up.
Really? I hadn't heard that, but I could see it happening. I still have visions of Quick tip toeing around instead of picking up that first down against Clemson.

I enjoy my Sooners without the need of caution or pessimistic expectations. Call me a Sunshine Pumper or say I'm wearing Crimson colored glasses, it really makes not a rat's ass to me. Hell it's an honor really.

But an unsubstantiated opinion given as a fact about a player, I will argue. Nobody has the power of predicting the future.

Still worth noting to those who were so quick to start dragging out are weaknesses: this article was written purposely listing only the reason why we are a contender. If it is so painful for some of you to read positive publications about the Sooners, might I recommend getting your degree in journalism, attain employment in said field, and write all the articles your little heart desires about why Oklahoma won't win or compete for a title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT