Emeka Megwa

Gray
Major
Barnes
Sawchuk
Tawee Walker
Bentavious Thompson
and now: Emeka Megwa
Unless there is a sudden transfer, that's 7 quality running backs.
How will Venables keep them all happy at such a crowded position?
I don't believe Sawchuk, who stayed committed to OU through the December upheaval, came to OU to sit out a year and Barnes is said by some to be the best overall back on the team even as a true freshman.
From a fan's and coach's perspective, you can never have too much depth at any position, especially in light of how football has evolved into a much more violent game than ever before.

Megwa shows up two weeks before the opening game on 9/03....reminds me of Joe Don Looney's arrival two weeks before the home opener vs. Syracuse in 1962, a game won 7-3 on Looney's 62 yard run in the closing minutes.
Hmmmmm.....

Megwa shows up two weeks before the opening game on 9/03....reminds me of Joe Don Looney's arrival two weeks before the home opener vs. Syracuse in 1962, a game won 7-3 on Looney's 62 yard run in the closing minutes.
Hmmmmm.....
His delay was getting a green light from Venables and Murray before he enrolled. He was waiting on confirmation that he would have a spot on the team. He has some catching up to do on the playbook. He is reported to be very dedicated to his craft. His fitness is apparent.

I am told his GPA in 3.7. He is an Egbo and will have a very strong family bond.

His delay was getting a green light from Venables and Murray before he enrolled. He was waiting on confirmation that he would have a spot on the team. He has some catching up to do on the playbook. He is reported to be very dedicated to his craft. His fitness is apparent.

I am told his GPA in 3.7. He is an Egbo and will have a very strong family bond.
Another Nigerian nightmare looming?

Reactions: Belldozer1
Hmmmmm.....
I read somewhere that he got hurt last year and that he would use this year to learn whatever position he'll play and get totally healed up and ready to go for next year. He's pretty ripped up no doubt.

I read somewhere that he got hurt last year and that he would use this year to learn whatever position he'll play and get totally healed up and ready to go for next year. He's pretty ripped up no doubt.
I believe his initial injuries were sustained in high school. He chose to graduate early and rehab at Washington. He may have had additional injuries that I was not made aware of. He is reported to be a very fit 225 lbs and quick. He will be a RS freshman. I believe his change of heart was progressed by an all new coaching staff at Washington. He has much to absorb.

Another Nigerian nightmare looming?
I may have told this story before. Please excuse me if I am repeating myself.

A few years ago I was conducting a kick off meeting for a project for Shell Oil in Port Harcourt Nigeria. It was a relatively easy project and an excellent spring board for young facilities engineers to get their feet wet in field development. There were about 24 in the meeting. Three white guys and 21 Nigerians. Near the end of the meeting I turned my phone on. My phone rang with Boomer Sooner ringtone. Four Nigerians cast very wide smiles. All four were OU grads. One of the white guys said "aw sh!t, even in Nigeria!". He was an OSU Cowboy. The room was full of TAMU Aggies and a lone Tulsa grad. The job went very well.

I may have told this story before. Please excuse me if I am repeating myself.

A few years ago I was conducting a kick off meeting for a project for Shell Oil in Port Harcourt Nigeria. It was a relatively easy project and an excellent spring board for young facilities engineers to get their feet wet in field development. There were about 24 in the meeting. Three white guys and 21 Nigerians. Near the end of the meeting I turned my phone on. My phone rang with Boomer Sooner ringtone. Four Nigerians cast very wide smiles. All four were OU grads. One of the white guys said "aw sh!t, even in Nigeria!". He was an OSU Cowboy. The room was full of TAMU Aggies and a lone Tulsa grad. The job went very well.
I'm a Petroleum Landman here in Texas for a mid major, we hire PLM degreed folks from OU and Texas Tech. Unfortunately, not alot of hiring the last couple of years. I'm 51 and hopeful I'll be able to finish out my career in this profession but no way would I encourage the young folks to follow in my footsteps.

I'm a Petroleum Landman here in Texas for a mid major, we hire PLM degreed folks from OU and Texas Tech. Unfortunately, not alot of hiring the last couple of years. I'm 51 and hopeful I'll be able to finish out my career in this profession but no way would I encourage the young folks to follow in my footsteps.
I cannot disagree with you. I am 71. After six years of US Army I elected to pursue Construction Management/Manufacturing Engineering. Pipeline construction was a natural fit for me. It is a dying industry for many different reasons. The market has changed in my lifetime.

I worked internationally all my life. There is almost no Americans in this business today.

I cannot disagree with you. I am 71. After six years of US Army I elected to pursue Construction Management/Manufacturing Engineering. Pipeline construction was a natural fit for me. It is a dying industry for many different reasons. The market has changed in my lifetime.

I worked internationally all my life. There is almost no Americans in this business today.
Interesting. I’ve got a buddy of mine that just retired to New Braunfels from Houston. He worked for BP and was a construction supervisor and one of the guys in charge of rig construction/repairs working with the engineers and fabricating whatever was needed for that big offshore BP blowout several years back. He’s got some interesting stories.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Interesting. I’ve got a buddy of mine that just retired to New Braunfels from Houston. He worked for BP and was a construction supervisor and one of the guys in charge of rig construction/repairs working with the engineers and fabricating whatever was needed for that big offshore BP blowout several years back. He’s got some interesting stories.
Yep. That's considered Upstream. My line of biz was Downstream. Mostly Offshore Pipelines. Sub Sea Pipelines. Arkutun Dagi, Nord Stream One, Blue Stream, Neft Daslari - Oily Rocks, Malampaya, North Sea Langeled were projects that I was involved with over the years. I spent a lot of time in Middle East in my early years and Russia and CIS in later years. I was very fortunate in my life to have been tutored by some of the best in the industry. My last 10 years was pre-project analysis and project execution preparations.

Your friend should have some good stories about Snubbing Crews. These guys are the SEALS of the drilling and completion industry.

Last edited:
We had a blowout in 2012. Gas hit out motors and blew. Very good friend was badly burned. We (the rig) was just standing with 10,000 ft of drill pipe sitting on the bank. We pulled the rig over so we could control where the rig fell. Took 3 day's to get it shut down.

Yep. That's considered Upstream. My line of biz was Downstream. Mostly Offshore Pipelines. Sub Sea Pipelines. Arkutun Dagi, Nord Stream One, Blue Stream, Neft Daslari - Oily Rocks, Malampaya, North Sea Langeled were projects that I was involved with over the years. I spent a lot of time in Middle East in my early years and Russia and CIS in later years. I was very fortunate in my life to have been tutored by some of the best in the industry. My last 10 years was pre-project analysis and project execution preparations.

Your friend should have some good stories about Snubbing Crews. These guys are the SEALS of the drilling and completion industry.
I've never worked in another country except for when I was in the service. I have Drilled many of well's here in Oklahoma. My Dad was a Driller also,but he always worked overseas. He retired from Saudi Arabia and spent a bunch of time in Libia.

I've never worked in another country except for when I was in the service. I have Drilled many of well's here in Oklahoma. My Dad was a Driller also,but he always worked overseas. He retired from Saudi Arabia and spent a bunch of time in Libia.
I spent 5 years in Saudi Arabia (81-85). I enjoyed my time there. 81-85 was the height of their pipeline development grid for crude oil but the bigger market was large diameter water pipelines from desalination plants to the interior of Saudi. Saudi Arabia is a good place to save money!!!! But those breaks in Amsterdam were hard on the wallet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT