ADVERTISEMENT

Elite Camp Day 3 Notes...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
As @BPrzybylo and I were talking today was more about all the big-time faces that came through camp more so than who actually did camp - though we'll get into that in a second.

Through the day we had a chance to see D.J. Lagway, Chapman McKown, Malachi Coleman, and King Joseph Edwards.

Lagway looked great and seemed to be having a great time. Coleman was the guy that I felt like Oklahoma was really putting out the red carpet for, I never saw him far from multiple coaches - Jeff Lebby, Joe Jon Finley, Brent Venables, etc. Edwards is an incredibly impressive dude, just a big guy that, much like Lagway was getting plenty of attention.

McKown showed up later in the day but definitely was a guy that the coaching staff was ready for and everyone came by to say hello.

But now we'll move to the campers themselves...

Johnson-Rubell is a guy we've seen a few times and he did nothing to hurt his reputation. He is an incredibly smooth defender and has a really good feel for getting on a receivers inside hip and working the route. He is good with his hands and does a good job of directing receivers without getting too grabby. All in all, he's definitely a top 100 guy for me.

Grayson is the other defensive back we were really coming into camp excited to see and the tools are all there. He's got great size, a legit 6-foot, 175-pounds and is impressive put together in the lower body. That said he's very raw and doesn't have a great feel for the position at this point. But he's just a sophomore and there's plenty of time to develop. I thought maybe he'd force his way into an offer today but I think Oklahoma can be, and probalby should be, a bit more patient to watch him develop.

The Luman brothers are absolutely the best pass rushers we saw on the day. They are still learning the game and are a little rough around the edges but when they come off the line of scrimmage it's easy to see why they picked up Oklahoma offers today.

Poe was the one offensive lineman that stood out today. He is a broad shouldered guy who moves well and I thought showed a lot of positional flexibility - something Bill Bedenbaugh has always valued - between working at guard, tackle, and even snapped at center. He's an interesting guy with a big-time throwing background in track. Very interested to get a look at his film as I think he's an outstanding offer for the Sooners.

Going to the youngest guy on this list, Marks was a silky smooth cornerback who came down to Norman from Detroit after starring in the Eighth Grade Under Armour All-American game. At this point he's undersized and he'll need to grow but the guy hasn't even had his first day of high school yet. What I loved is how willing he was to go out there and get reps with much older and bigger guys. He's a bulldog of a competitor and has easy change of direction skills.

Woodaz was a kid I actually watched a lot but I admit I didn't realize who I was watching and how he was being evaluated. He was working more as a safety and I saw some good stuff but he was as bit oversized and I didn't think he moved well enough to be a safety offer type. BUT as a linebacker? That makes plenty of sense and was just a misunderstanding on my part.

You won't find a guy that is a better physical specimen than Howard. He's every bit of 6-2 and 175-pounds and when he had a chance to use his speed he closed incredibly well. Now, much like Grayson he's more than a bit raw. He DOES get too grabby and is still learning some fundamental aspects of his footwork. But this is a guy that Oklahoma, should they offer, is buying into the potential which is there in tremendous amounts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News