ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Some notes on upcoming four-star DL decision | Is there more to it with OU than expected?

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Okay, so I have been saying that Texas seems to be the leader on 2024 four-star IMG Academy DL Jayden Jackson.

*** However, I have been talking to some sources today and I am not ready to count out the Sooners just yet. No, I am not saying that I expect the Todd Bates and the Sooners to be the pick. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone truly knows where he is leaning right now with how quiet Jackson is about things. Still, the prevailing sentiment seems to be Texas due to a few IMG teammates committing to the Horns.

*** That said, a few sources with knowledge of said recruitment spoke with me today and echoed some positive momentum behind-the-scenes for the Sooners, Todd Bates and Miguel Chavis. On the front, I reported shortly after his OV in Norman that Oklahoma felt they made a huge dent in the Horns and Canes perceived lead. Was that enough? I don't know that I can confidently say that, but I also think the Sooners are in this more than even I gave them credit for over the last week or so.

*** In speaking to one source, I was told that OU is "all in on JJ." The source went on to say, "He and his mother really clicked with everyone (at OU)," the source said. "(OU) feels he is one of the more underrated DL in the nation. He is also a good kid that fits (OU) culture."

*** I continue to be a bit skeptical, but I did want you all also aware that OU is still battling here and hasn't written themselves off. Some even feel the Sooners may be able to pull off a surprise. A very unbiased source that knows IMG well told me, "It's weird. The instate schools are quiet. Very quiet. It's not normally like that," the source noted. "Ohio State is there and in play, but I don't know that they will do what is necessary with NIL to make the move with JJ, so even they are in flux there. That's why it seems like an OU and Texas battle right now."

*** If that is truly the case, it goes in line with what OU felt after Jackson took his visit to OU near the end of June. And if the Sooners are truly in play to be the pick, and we have not confirmed that as of now, it will be a hugely pleasant surprise for Sooner Nation. Again, I am not ready to put in a pick either way (I probably won't either), and I know that no one else has put in a pick either, so that again shows you how influx some of the moving parts in Jackson's recruitment are right now. Even with us less than 48 hours until he announces.

My Take: As I said, take this as a surprise if the Sooners do land Jackson. His mother really likes the Sooners and the staff in Norman. Add that five-star DL David Stone seems to have the Sooners at the top of his list right now, with them being close friends and teammates, and you can see why OU has made a strong move here behind-the-scenes, per multiple sources.

Another source told me that Stone being there for JJ's visit to OU was very important as well. That doesn't mean Stone is committing to OU, but it sure doesn't hurt with both IMG DL targets either.

Still, I am going to say it again, and I hope it sticks, that I will admit I don't know what is going on 100% with JJ. But I do know OU is more involved than some give them credit for right now. I still lean toward it not going in the Sooners' direction here, but I am far from confident in that being the case. So, as I noted, take this as very pleasant surprise if OU does pull this off. Best way I can word this right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News