ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Scrimmage and practice insider notes from this week | Offense win the day? | Sourced notes on DL, OL, QB and more!

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Here are some notes on what we have heard this week about practice and yesterday's scrimmage. Apologize for the delay, as I was chaperoning my 2nd grade son's trip to the Science Museum today:

*** This was the first time that the offense 'beat' the defense this spring, according multiple sources. What was interesting is that they had Jake Sexton starting at one of the guard spots because Heath Ozaeta and Daniel Akinkunmi were out.

Some think Akinkunmi may even continue to be held out with a some lower leg injuries that just need time to heal up. According to a source, "I don't think it's real serious, but it's injuries that can nag and hang around longer than expected."

*** Back to Sexton at offensive guard... I have heard that he was "dominant" and "had himself a day" at offensive guard. Sexton's day led to the offensive line having "its best day this spring." Now, how relative that is to "best day" and 'being good' are two different things. Still, good steps are good steps and if Jackson Arnold and Michael Hawkins have more time than have had at times this spring, that genuinely is better, right?

Another source said that Sexton "just out-muscled the defensive tackles. You forget how strong that dude is until you see him pancaking a few D-Linemen."

One particular play that stood out was a Jackson Arnold scramble that ended in a 40-yard touchdown. That play was one where "a few OL were downfield and made some big key blocks to spur that run."

*** Don't be shocked if Sexton plays OG for a bit through spring, but that WON'T BE where he plays come August, pers sources. I have been told by many that Sexton is viewed as the "next in line to be a potential first-round pick" and that scouts have eyed the big-time OT already as one they have high hopes for in 2024 (rhyming and all).

*** Center Joshua Bates continues to be 'up and down' some, but I was told that he looked "better" in the scrimmage and sources I speak with are taking that and using it as a positive.

*** Now, speaking of Jackson Arnold, he had some really nice plays this week and in the scrimmage. He also threw two picks. Though, I will add that the one to Peyton Bowen "would have been a sack and the ball would have never been thrown," per two separate sources. So. most chalk that one up as whatever.

HOWEVER, the other interception was on Arnold, per sources. That pick was made by a rising cornerback that has turned many people's heads this spring.

Sophomore cornerback Jacobe Johnson continues to have a big spring and he made "one helluva play and took it for six," per a source. Now, it was the last play of the scrimmage, but it was noteworthy for sure.

The same source above also added that Johnson played really well throughout spring -- and has seen some time with the ones because of it -- but they added that he has been getting better and better with each practice. Another source went on and added, "You see him understanding and gaining more and more confidence. That's scary because he might have the biggest upside at the position with his size and length. He is a 4.4/4.5 type of corner at 6-3 and over 200lbs. If he can be consistent, he will help (OU) this year-- A LOT."

*** On the good side of things for QB Jackson Arnold, a few sources said he made mistakes, but everyone of them added this phrase almost word-for-word regarding Arnolds progression. For simplistic purposes I will use one of the sources quotes here with them saying, "That scrimmage was the most control he has shown over the offense and the most decisiveness we have seen from him despite the two mistakes. Arnold was driving the ball down the field and looked comfortable in doing so."

Each said there is a correlation in the decision making by Arnold and the OL play being a bit better, but that stating the obvious. Regardless, both (OL and QB) are good things to hear. Especially with all the negativity we have heard and reported on OL play this spring. Any positives are welcome, I am sure for OU fans.

*** Here's a broad statement about the defense from someone that has seen them in action several times this spring. That statement was positive in the fact the defense does look the part so far. Remember, there are some that believe the OL struggles could also be contingent on the fact the DL may be really good this season. Ultimately, we won't know for sure until the fall and real games are being played when it matters.

That said, the source propped up what new DC Zac Alley has done, and said, "You see the togetherness and cohesiveness of the defense this spring. It's noticeable in almost every facet for them," the source said. "You can see that they mesh with Coach Alley because he is a lot like Coach [Brent] Venables.

"The thing that really stands out is how they fly around to make plays. They understand that defense in year three and they are aggressive and physical. Mistakes happen, but they fly around regardless and that's what you want to see."

The source finished off talking about the Sooners' defense so far this spring, and said, "The defense looks different and you saw that at times last year. If they can play that way more often than not, they could be a top five defense in the SEC and maybe better. That's not hyperbole."

Again, that is just their opinion (and it came from someone that tells it like it is and usually won't sugarcoat the good or bad), but it's an opinion we have heard by most that have seen the defense. Those same sources also say that it's all on how well the DL meshes (much like the OL on offense) in how much better this defense is than last year. Talent is far and away different and more experienced, but still needs to happen on the field. And as one source put it, adding, "This DL is young, It's the most talent they have had in a long time at that position, but it's also not nearly a finished product. So much molding and coaching to be done. You see the mistakes that happen, but you also see the flashes and know that sometime soon they are gonna be really good or maybe even be really special down the line. Hard to say if that is in 2024, though."

*** On another not so good news side, the WR unit was missing three big pieces in the scrimmage with Jalil Farooq, Nic Anderson, and Brenan Thompson all banged up.

On the good news side, we once again hear more and more rave reviews for WR Jayden Gibson. One source said that JG was "fast becoming Jackson Arnold's favorite target." Obviously, that's one person's opinion, but it was worth noting, nonetheless.

*** WR Deion Burks was another (who is surprised?) bright spot. He had a few other big plays as well.

*** Sounded like Jovantae Barnes and Gavin Sawchuk were limited due to coaches decisions, as most people Parker and I have spoken to noted that Sam Franklin and Kalib Hicks got a lot of carries yesterday. That said, both Sawchuk and Barnes remain the two guys I have heard the most about this spring, along with Hicks.

*** I will see if we can acquire more information over the next 24hrs and update more to you all, but

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News