ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Quick note on 4-star DE Danny Okoye

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
I was able to speak to a few sources last night on Danny Okoye and his recruitment. Both sources felt like this weekend was huge for the Sooners moving forward, and with a commitment date of September 20th set for the OKPreps four-star EDGE rusher.

Some may ask why this weekend is big and it’s because Okoye has told people, including myself, in the past, that September 16th was his return date for his Texas unofficial visit. However, a well-connected source told OUinsider last night, “I don’t think so,” the source said when asked if Okoye was still visiting Texas. “The expectation is that the visit doesn’t happen. Obviously, if it does there would be some concern for (OU) and where things stand.”

As we reported last week, Okoye dropped a top-3 of Tennessee, Texas and Oklahoma on Sunday. Those three schools were the ones that most people that followed him closely felt were his top schools.

Of the three programs still left battling for Okoye’s services, it seems that Tennessee has fallen back the furthest after being the leader for quite some time. Texas has continued to try and get Okoye and his mother back on campus, but we will know if they were successful in that venture on Saturday.

With Oklahoma, it’s been Miguel Chavis and the Sooners’ staff that has been the most aggressive over the last few months. That persistence has allowed the Sooners to come out of nowhere to be the perceived leader in Okoye’s recruitment, as things stand today.

We will be in attendance when Okoye goes public with his decision next week. I still like the Sooners here. I understand that I have yet to pick him to Oklahoma publicly, but there are reasons for that. That said, I’m telling you all that you can treat my reporting as a FC and I’ll put a OUinsider one in for him to OU so that you can hold me accountable if things turn sideways.

Again, Texas is still trying diligently to get Okoye back to UT this weekend. We will see how that turns out, but the expectation is that he will not be in Austin. If that changes we will update you, and I continue to like the Sooners here heading into the last week before Okoye publicly announces his decision.

Stay tuned for more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News