ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Note on 5-star DL and OU | Thoughts on the 5-star DL | Side Note on 2024 4-star EDGE target (Weds 12:00 am)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Spoke briefly with 2024 5-star DL David Stone (and hope to speak more in-depth soon). He is prepping to leave for IMG on the 20th, and also working on some late July visits, with OU potentially being one of them. Something he is ironing out and should know soon.

Same goes for a final decision. He has some dates in mind, but is still working through some things. Stone wants to decide before senior season (starts on Aug 26 vs former OU QB target Samaj Jones), so it feels like things are coming an end soon.

What I found interesting was that he and I were texting about his nationally televised game on August 26th in the Battle on the Beach, and he candidly just said, “Coach [Todd] Bates will be there that day to watch me and Jayden [Jackson].”

I say ‘interesting’ because why would Bates be headed out that way unless…

1) Stone has already joined JJ in the Sooners 2024 class (hypothetically).

Or

2) There could be an announcement forthcoming that day. Maybe even doing it that day with it being ESPN and national TV. Something a source said is a possibility and one date that Stone is deciding between, among a few others.

*** But why be there if you aren’t sure either way, right? I know one reason is to support newly committed four-star NT Jayden Jackson, and I get that, BUT there are a few other times Bates could have made that trip. One of those times could have been five days later when IMG travels to Thompson (AL) to play the elite Alabama squad. That would allow Bates to go back to his home state and an area where he has been recruiting for years.

*** Look, I know this some guesstimating off what I have been told by Stone and others, but with a decision coming soon for Stone— and when you look at it in the way I laid it out for you all — things do seem to pique everyone’s interest a bit.

*** I’ll say this to end my thoughts here:

I spoke to several sources and plan on speaking to more tomorrow. All of them feel OU is and has been the team to beat. One source in College Station even told me, “Stone has always wanted to get back home and he’s told everyone that,” a source said. “I’m talking about getting back and playing HS ball back (in Oklahoma), but if he’s always wanted to do that and couldn’t, why not make that decision in college with all his friends and family there. Just makes sense and why OU has been so hard to overcome for A&M.”

*** I will dig some more on this and see if I can’t talk more with Stone before he heads back, but I continue to feel good about where OU stands, while also finding it intriguing on Coach Todd Bates timing to see Stone and JJ. Especially with a decision looming and Stone saying he wants a decision BEFORE his senior year.

*** Would love to hear our members thoughts on the timing of that and if they, too, find it quite the coincidence?

*** Side Note: I’m working on some four-star DE Zina Umeozulu notes as well. Spoke to a few sources today and will speak more to them tomorrow and get you all some info there.

BUTTTT… A Party in the Palace visit isn’t out of the question there. Not a done deal, but it’s getting worked on quite strenuously behind the scenes by OU.

Sources in other areas, and outside of Norman, also feel OU and A&M might just surprise everyone regarding Umeozulu.

More to come on that…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News