ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Note on 2024 four-star DE | 2024 four-star safety note

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
I am going to have several notes on David Stone later on— including stuff on the week week that was before he committed — but I wanted to get something up on 2024 four-star DE Danny Okoye.

First, this is the Friday I am slated to go out and see him and his NOAH Jaguar teammates play. That means I’ll be able get an interview with him before his official visit to OU that night through Sunday afternoon, and then hopefully after the official as well.

All that said, I won’t be the only one there as a source with knowledge of the Sooners’ whereabouts this week on trail tells me that Oklahoma DE coach Miguel Chavis will also be attendance before Okoye arrives in Norman.

Oklahoma is, obviously, looking to make a big jump and a source told me today that Chavis and company have been putting in the work, adding, “This recruitment is night and day different than it was three months ago,” the source said. “And (OU) isn’t done with the momentum either. There is lots to be done in that recruitment, but (OU) should feel good about things. Have to hold off Tennessee, with how well they have recruited Okoye.”

Even with the Vols’ standing in Okoye’s recruitment, there is a lot of confidence in Norman regarding the four-star DE. When you add the fact five-star DL David Stone committed to OU, on Saturday, there is reason to have some added confidence. Both OKPreps stars are good friends, and the two are also trained by “Chief,” who is most notably known as former OKstate DL Christian Littlehead to college football fans in this state. During their off-season, the two do sessions with him together.

I’m told Coach Todd Bates and Miguel Chavis have also built a really strong bond with the DL trainer. That relationship has also helped the Sooners gain some ground with Okoye.

Again, I’ll have more on Okoye after I see the four-star DE later this week. That said, the battle between OU and Tennessee seems to be heating up as a mid-October decision becomes closer and closer. OU and Tenn aren’t the only programs he is considering. The other teams trying to gain more momentum are Texas (official visit this summer) and Alabama (working on a potential official visit). Both of which are behind the aforementioned two, but aren’t far enough back that they can’t catch back up.

I should have a better feel for things after this weekend, but I do think OU holds an ever so slight lead. However, Chavis and company needs a bigger lead with Okoye’s OV to Tennessee slated for later on in September.

*** Another major recruit still left on the board is 2024 four-star ATH Michael Boganowski.

The Sooners hosted Boganowski at the ChampUBBQ (official visit) and Party at the Palace in late July this summer. Those two visits were huge for Oklahoma and Sooners safety coach Brandon Hall, with the four-star ATH set to make it back to down Norman this weekend for another visit.

Boganowski seems to be down to KSU and OU now. The only question that remains is if he will make a decision soon. Some say before the month is up, while others are saying he is in a wait and see mode and likely will just “wake up one day and decide.” Essentially saying it could happen at any point between now and NSD.

With the decision looming at any point, I’m told that Sooners safety coach Brandon Hall will be in Junction City on Friday. It’s a move to show Boganowski how important he is to the Sooners 2024 class.

Also, good news for us, our guy Parker Thune will also be in attendance Friday. So much like four-star DE Danny Okoye, we will have you all covered the night before and after their visits.

As for my take on this one? Just like Boganowski, I’m a bit torn. However, I think a great showing by the Sooners on Saturday could go a long way. Especially if the fans can make the atmosphere appealing.

All that said, if I had to make a pick, I’d go with the Sooners. My reasoning is this:

The easy pick has been and always will be KSU. It’s his hometown team, with Junction City a mere fifteen minutes from Manhattan (KS). He has been to KSU his whole life and watched them in person countless times. So what’s the hold up?

Now, will I be shocked if Boganowski ends up a Wildcat? No. There’s 30 years of familial relationships built in there with KSU LB coach Steve Stanard. He coach Boganowski’s father at NMSU. That can’t be out done by OU or anyone trying to recruit the four-star.

Still, at the end of the day, I go back to these two points: 1) KSU wants him at LB (or did before they realized he wants to be a safety), and 2) KSU is also staying the Big 12.
On the flip side, Oklahoma has always stayed true and told him he’s a safety from the start. They are also moving to the SEC. Both are big selling points for Coach Hall and the Sooners.

So, knowing all of that, you’d think another (6 or 7th visit) trip to OU would help the Sooners come decision time. That, obviously, makes this trip huge for OU if they want another four-star safety in the boat.

We will have more later on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News