ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: More on Damonic Williams (Tues 11:32 PM)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** Okay, so I have been speaking to a few sources, and they said that OU had been watching film on several DT’s “just in case (OU) needs a backup plan.” That quote was given to me Monday night after the support staff watched DT transfer film all day, I’m told.

***Edit: I think a more correct way to word that was what another source said to me a few minutes ago, adding, “Contingency plans should always be worked on when you’re recruiting a high-level guy like Williams. So having an insurance plan or a few players to lean on if things don’t go (OU) way is smart.”

Thought I’d add that to this update because it was a great quote.

Back to original post…

That backup plan seems to be Grand Valley State DT Jay’viar Suggs. The 6-foot-3, 290-pound Suggs played in 22 games at GVSU with 42 total tackles with 18 being solo tackles, he had 14.5 TFL’s, 8.0 sacks, 9 pass deflections, 2 forced fumbles and 4 QB hurries. In 2023, he Suggs accrued 21 tackles, 7.5 TFLs, 5 sacks, 4 PDs and 1 forced fumble.

I’ll reach out to Suggs, but as of now the Williams situation is at the forefront of the Sooners’ agenda in the portal. Still, Suggs would be a helluva pull in his own right if Todd Bates is forced to make that move in the near future.

As for a bit more on Williams’ situation…

I spoke to a few sources who also confirmed a decision “will likely be made at sometime during the next day or so.” As we have previously reported, we have been told by several sources that Williams would be making a decision on Wednesday (not necessarily announcing) and that is still the plan as the big-time DT looks to weigh the pros and cons of each visit he has taken over the next 24 hrs or so. Those visits were OU, Texas, Mizzou and LSU in that order.

As we have also reported in the Williams and transfer thread, there is some cautious optimism on the Sooners’ side of things, but that seems to be the consensus with each of the football programs he visited during his recruitment. That said, OU has built a strong rapport with Williams’ family and his handler/agent that has been deeply involved in Williams’ recruitment. Sooners OC Seth Littrell is the one that started this for OU and his relationship with said handler is how OU got their proverbial foot in the door to begin with, along with Coach Bates record of DT development. That relationship and the Sooners willingness to play the NIL game heavily here has made OU a legit contender.

Again, at the end of the day, OU is still very much in this and they are going to swing away with what I would call ‘closing conversations’ that they are expected to have with Williams tomorrow. Will that be enough come decision time? I honestly don’t know and anyone that says they do is ahead of even Williams himself.

We should know more at some point tomorrow, but until then stay tuned.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News