ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: Latest on transfer DT Damonic Williams and the Sooners' chances (Thurs 4:40 pm)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** Parker and I have been talking with people regarding Williams for the last 24 hours. One thing we have both come to understand is that "money and NIL won't be the issue" in how OU is dealing with Williams. Multiple sources said that the Sooners "aren't going to lose out on Williams because of NIL."

I don't think you can take literal, but the sources we talked with are saying that OU -- much like with five-star OL Michael Fasusi or post player Brandon Garrison -- won't be short on what they offer in NIL, and to be honest, it will be "very substantial."

Now, that doesn't mean that OU will have the highest bid. There are rumors of some crazy numbers being offered to transfers this spring. But again, OU will make a very, very, very good offer to Williams.

So first and foremost we wanted to get that out of the way for those thinking NIL would be an issue here and OU won't play ball. A better analogy would be thinking of the David Stone recruitment.

*** Secondly, there is some strong confidence in the Sooners' chances here. Again, not saying that OU is the only school that he will visit, with Williams potentially visiting Texas, Oregon and Colorado this week. But what sources told me (that are directly involved on the Williams' side of things), this decision will come down to (obviously) NIL and who can best develop Williams into the best NFL prospect.

A source last night, that is in Williams' camp, told me, "OU was the first team that came to mind because of Todd Bates and the fact people around Williams know offensive coordinator Seth Littrell so well," the source said. "We want to see the defenses, how he will be used and developed on and off the field." The NIL portion always seem to go without saying regarding transfer targets.

*** Third, Williams will be in Norman on Friday and won't leave until Sunday, according to a source on Williams' side. That multiple day visit is different than what others will get, I am told. IF the visit to Texas takes place, it will be on Tuesday. IF the Oregon visit takes place, it will be on "Wednesday or Thursday." And Colorado didn't have a day set up yet, per the source LAST NIGHT. I am still checking on that for sure, but I think a lot things will depend on how the visit in Norman goes this weekend.

*** Regardless of how things go, the source also told me that a decision will be made soon, adding, "Damonic [Williams] didn't get to have a huge recruitment out of high school, so he may want to go through the process," the source said. "But no matter what it will be quick. We want this over and done within a week or so."

*** All in all, fans should feel good about the Sooners' chances, but also have some levity in how they look at it. We all know NIL changes how things go. Someone could come in and offer an insane number and make it very difficult to turn away. And normally, I would say that is a deal-breaker with OU. I just don't think that is here for a number of reasons. One being with a source on OU side of things saying, "If you get Williams, that opens up so much for everyone on the defense. Especially when you add him to what (OU) already has at DT. That type of guy isn't in the portal often."

*** Lastly, as I typed this, you all probably saw that transfer DL Phillip Blidi just announced that he isn't visiting OU anymore. That in itself should also make the Sooners Nation feel good, if you're reading between the lines. Still, OU has to close the deal, but as things stand right now, we like OU's chances and will update you all as the visit moves along -- whether good or bad news.

So far, it's trending really well for OU with the former freshman All-American and All-Big 12 DT... Stay tuned.

Side Note:
I still think OU wants to take two DT if they can. Right now, if the Sooners can hit 2/2 and add Jermayne Lole and Williams, you just made the Sooners' DL go from good to dang near great. When is the last time you can say that? And even if you go 1/2, you have made the DL much better, so this weekend is a win-win as long you get one.

But you want both -- obviously.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News